VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shoulder Mri Question - Anyone Know What This Means?

Rate this question

celli

Question

Good evening. I have a question and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what this means and or what may happen. I am currently 70% for anxiety. Had a recent C&P for my shoulder, which I injured in basic training in 92. I've never really had a diagnosis until now. Was told back then I sprained it and it gave me trouble since. I didnt complain much about thinking it just goes with the job. As I'm getting older it's worse (join the club right) so I finally was told by the Doctor who did my C&P that she thought I might have a tear and something is definitely wrong so she sent me for an MRI. Just received the results and it states as follows:

MRI showed: Impingement of the distal rotator cuff resulting in moderate tendinosis. No definite tear identified. There is a small amount of fluid in the subacromial/subdeltiod bursa.

What does this mean? Does this sort of thing need surgery? Does anyone else have this and will this get a comp rating?

Thank you in advance. This website has been such a great help to me and I thank you!!

Celli

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

celli,

If you are currently rated SC'd for you shoulder at zero percent,

call the 800 # to see what DC it's rated under. Then check 38 CFR - Part 4

to see what the rating criteria is for a percentage higher than zero.

Perhaps the medical evidence from your MRI would warrant an increase.

You will probably be provided with a C&P to measure your ROM.

carlie

Ok, I'm confused. I called the 800 number totally stressed me out. The woman on the phone seemed annoyed with each question I asked and was rude. Sorry, venting. She told me that my shoulder is currently rated at 0% DC is 5201, limitation of motion. I tried figuring out what might happen with the rating now that I finally have the MRI results but I cant make heads or tails of it. I guess I will just wait and see unless someone has an idea.

Thanks again for your imput. Celli

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The 1-800 number is useful for some things, but useless for most things. If you call them three times and ask them the same question, you probably will get three different answers.

Since you had your C&P exam, you should try to get a copy of it. If they performed the exam correctly, they should have used a goinometer (kind of like a protractor to measure degrees of an angle), and logged range of motion numbers for movement in different directions. Your rating is probably at 0% because it was either previously denied or they are still working on your claim (they are not known for their speed).

Per Carlie's recommendation, you probably need to check these out:

Examination Worksheet - Spine (Cervical, Thoracic, and Lumbar)

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm53.htm

(this is what they should probably have done during the C&P exam)

§4.71a - Schedule of Ratings - Musculoskeletal System

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/regs/38CFR/BOO...ART4/S4_71a.DOC

(The shoulder section starts on page 13, which is below)

Most likely, you will be rated on 5201. If there are nerve issues, you might be rated separately for that too. But, here's the shoulder section. Hope it helps.

The Shoulder and Arm

Rating

Major Minor

5200 Scapulohumeral articulation, ankylosis of:

Note: The scapula and humerus move as one piece.

Unfavorable, abduction limited to 25º from side.............................. 50.......... 40

Intermediate between favorable and unfavorable........................... 40.......... 30

Favorable, abduction to 60°, can reach mouth and head.............. 30.......... 20

5201 Arm, limitation of motion of:

To 25° from side............................................................................

......... 40.......... 30

Midway between side and shoulder level......................................... 30.......... 20

At shoulder level...........................................................................

......... 20.......... 20

5202 Humerus, other impairment of:

Loss of head of (flail shoulder)............................................................ 80.......... 70

Nonunion of (false flail joint)............................................................... 60.......... 50

Fibrous union of..............................................................................

....... 50.......... 40

Recurrent dislocation of at scapulohumeral joint.

With frequent episodes and guarding of all arm movements 30......... 20

With infrequent episodes, and guarding of movement

only at shoulder level............................................................... 20.......... 20

Malunion of:

Marked deformity.......................................................................

.... 30.......... 20

Moderate deformity....................................................................... 20.......... 20

5203 Clavicle or scapula, impairment of:

Dislocation of..............................................................................

............ 20.......... 20

Nonunion of:

With loose movement.................................................................. 20.......... 20

Without loose movement............................................................. 10.......... 10

Malunion of..............................................................................

............... 10.......... 10

Or rate on impairment of function of contiguous joint.

Ok, I'm confused. I called the 800 number totally stressed me out. The woman on the phone seemed annoyed with each question I asked and was rude. Sorry, venting. She told me that my shoulder is currently rated at 0% DC is 5201, limitation of motion. I tried figuring out what might happen with the rating now that I finally have the MRI results but I cant make heads or tails of it. I guess I will just wait and see unless someone has an idea.

Thanks again for your imput. Celli

celli,

Submit a copy of the MRI and a request for an increase in DC 5201

and state you feel your ROM has decreased. VBA should set

you up for a C&P exam.

This will take awhile.

OR

If you can afford to get an exam on your own from a private doc

with ROM measurements and submit it with your claim for increase.

It may go quicker this way.

jmho,

carlie