VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shoulder Mri Question - Anyone Know What This Means?

Rate this question

celli

Question

Good evening. I have a question and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what this means and or what may happen. I am currently 70% for anxiety. Had a recent C&P for my shoulder, which I injured in basic training in 92. I've never really had a diagnosis until now. Was told back then I sprained it and it gave me trouble since. I didnt complain much about thinking it just goes with the job. As I'm getting older it's worse (join the club right) so I finally was told by the Doctor who did my C&P that she thought I might have a tear and something is definitely wrong so she sent me for an MRI. Just received the results and it states as follows:

MRI showed: Impingement of the distal rotator cuff resulting in moderate tendinosis. No definite tear identified. There is a small amount of fluid in the subacromial/subdeltiod bursa.

What does this mean? Does this sort of thing need surgery? Does anyone else have this and will this get a comp rating?

Thank you in advance. This website has been such a great help to me and I thank you!!

Celli

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey celli,

I hope you can get some relief and wish you the best in your claim. I had shoulder impingement surgery several years ago. Basically, the doc cleaned out some spurs and tightened everything up. The strange part is that after I healed, my shoulder was actually stronger than before. I guess it was all the physical therapy I did.

Shoulder Impingement

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00032

- This diagram is really cool and goes into the details of what impingement is.

Distal = more distant, or closer to the outer edge

Tendinosis = damage to the tendon

Bursa = small fluid-filled sac

Thank you for the information. Very informative. Was your injury service connected?

Does anyone think I will get a rating for this since the MRI finally shows something is wrong after all these years. I am currently rated 0% for my shoulder.

I filed for it, but it was denied. I was injured during basic training (left trapezius strain after some seriously intense pugil stick training) and still have all the treatment records. I think I had the surgery in 2001, which is a couple of years after my C&P. I think I will contact my surgeon and get my records to see exactly what they did.

Thank you for the information. Very informative. Was your injury service connected?

Does anyone think I will get a rating for this since the MRI finally shows something is wrong after all these years. I am currently rated 0% for my shoulder.

celli,

If you are currently rated SC'd for you shoulder at zero percent,

call the 800 # to see what DC it's rated under. Then check 38 CFR - Part 4

to see what the rating criteria is for a percentage higher than zero.

Perhaps the medical evidence from your MRI would warrant an increase.

You will probably be provided with a C&P to measure your ROM.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

I would make surgery the last resort. I had a problem with my right shoulder. I did PT and it fixed it. The left shoulder I got surgery and it made it worse. The docs usually will give you shot in the shoulder first. If that does not work then PT. Finally, you get the surgery and hope for the best.

They tried the cortisone shot in my shoulder, but I passed out cold. They sent me to PT the next day because my shoulder froze up. After two months of PT, there was no improvement so they sent me to surgery.

Not everyone will have the same experience as me. If you do need to have surgery, if you have good insurance then get it done privately, not by the VA. My recommendation is to find one of those legendary surgeons, like the ones that work on NFL players. They are usually recognizable by the large entourage of junior surgeons following them around. Also, very important: Make sure the top doc is going to be the only person working on you. Sometimes you think you are having the top surgeon, but then in reality he just is present for a few minutes of the procedure. Sometimes they have a special form you have to sign. It is worth it. Let the noobs practice on someone else.