Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf And Disability Rating

Rate this question

Bill (USAF Retired)

Question

I know it's not as simple as "a GAF of X gives you a disability rating of Y," but I'm hoping for some educated guesses from my more experienced colleagues.

The GAF is 41. Rating (for psych) is 50%. Now for the Goldilocks question: Is that rating too big, too small, or just right?

Thanks

Bill

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

A GAF of 41 and not working should equal 100% but once gain I will say for the record that the GAF is only a small part of the evaluation and is merely an opinion of one clinician.

If you have a GAF of over 60 your chances of getting 100% are not to good. The Meds you take the diagnosis, your progress, your medical treatment your Medical History are other things that are considered.

• HadIt.com Elder

What is your rating question related to depression, bipolar, etc? How do you think if fits the rating schedule 'descriptive' breakout within the percentages for mental health? Can you post some of the doctors description of your examination results? The gaf, diagnosis and wording all add up, but the rating is a turkey shoot. sorry, no educated guess yet.

Best to ya,

Cg'up,2,3,4...

I know it's not as simple as "a GAF of X gives you a disability rating of Y," but I'm hoping for some educated guesses from my more experienced colleagues.

The GAF is 41. Rating (for psych) is 50%. Now for the Goldilocks question: Is that rating too big, too small, or just right?

Thanks

Bill

I agree with Pete. A GAF rating of 41 indicates serious difficulties and approximates a 100% rating but, even tho it would make sense, there is no direct relationship between GAF rating and disability percentage. Also the GAF rating can change from one doc appointment to the next, and, rather than take the lowest number, I have an idea the VA takes some sort of an average GAF, not the lowest GAF, like they do with hearing loss. Hearing loss is rated at the AVERAGE over 5 decibel ranges , not at the worst range if you look at the rating criteria for hearing loss.

So, if you have a GAF of 40 one month, a GAF of 80 the next month, and a GAF of 60 the third month, you will probably be rated "as if" your GAF was 60. I seem to recall Alex Humphrey, a VA attorney now deceased, say something to the effect that he could get a Vet 100% with a nexus and a GAF of 40 or below. However, dont take my word for it, read Alex Humphries posts yourself, as I just cant remember exactly what he said. Alex H posts are extremely well informed and definately worth your time reading, assuming you are working your own claim.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

With GAF's consistently in the mid-50's through mid-60%, and currently working, what tends to be the average % granted?

This doesn't sound right, but I talked with my county VA representative and the guy said the % granted is solely tied to your GAF. He also said that if your GAF is above 50, you get nothing, but a GAF below 50 means you will receive a % granted. Based on what I have read here, his opinion did not pass the smell test.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I agree, but then again, this is the same guy who said I would never receive a combined rating higher than 40%.

I figured that since Bill asked the question regarding GAF and %, I would follow up and ask for the general consensus about a rating for that GAF range.