Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aid And Attendance Help

Rate this question

bigmuny

Question

I have multble claimse at the RO.One a housing grant that is on Appeal. Two an increcein my presnt Aiand Attendance to a highr levl. I have been reciving AA fr the pas 7 year at the L" lvel I fied for the incease becase my conition has goten seveely wors and now I in need of totl care. I had a girl coming in to help me at $10 an our but noweit is spordic. I don't have any famly or frinds to help..no on wants to cme in and bath me or cook me. My sitation is realy bad and I do the best I can. I mised 3 C&P's because of transpotation and no on to tae me. I had them scheuled to come and piak me up but they nevee shoed so the lady at the C&P schduled Specil Services to come and get me with their whelchair van. It is embarasing to go out because I stink cant shave or shoer can't eat.it is noting that about 38 cents cant take care of but I m not realy redy for that. I have chroic acute pain in my back and diabetes neuropathy that is causing me some serious pain also. I am on 2 types of pain meds one is methadone 120mg a day plus Hydroodone 10mg Soma and other stuff I am rated at 100 and my rating is like 93 for seveal diferet problem, one is ptsd since I have recived that years ago my other problems have started manifeting ovr the corse of year. I have bei afraid to file as I didnt want to to go to the VA because it cause me sevre pain for days afterward and I end up losing conrol of my uine so I didnt file becase of the problem of tring to get there or finding some to help me.

When I finaly get to the CP exam I thought the Dr would realy check me ot but I stayed in thre maybe 15 minute and she asked me some question about if I coud do ts or that, she ased me if I col and I couldnt get out of the wheelchair by myself anyway, she ased me if I could setup straght and I told her I cant do that either then she had me squeeze her fingers as hard as I could but since I don't have any feeling in my legs, feet or hands so I could not do to much there. This letter has taken me 3 days to write as I am pecking and I use my lapto in bed to have communication with others. My question is am I eligble for a hiher award than what I now recive at the "L" level. I need more money to hire someone to come in and help me 247 and that is expensive and I am not going to a nusing home or other fcility I am much more secure in my own home and I fear if I go to a home I will end up dying in there so if I can get a higher rating I can hire someone to come in fulltime. After 15min the doc told me she was not going to have me do anything else and was not gonig to reuqire me to do any other testing and that I shouldn't have anything to worry about, that comment there confused me as I think I understood it to me she would recomend a hgher level. Does anyone know what level I qould qualify for based on what is gong on with me and my cp exam?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hi BigMunY! INteresting name you got there

I don't know much about the different levels of A&A but I have recently been helping my husband through the ILP program through Vocrehab. It is my understanding that you would qualify based on the information you have provided here.

There are a couple of ILP posts here on hadit, just do a search, and also search the VA website, www.va.gov

The ILP can do certain things through there program that can help your situation, like someone to come out and organise homehelp for you and help in picking the right person. They can also provide you with equipment to help you in your daily living like accessing you computer more esaily, and adapted equipment for travel, moving around your home, or even using you phone.

I really like this program and have personally so far, only met real people with real concern for vets, in fact the rep working with my husband is the wife of a vietnam veteran and is very lovely. I think perhaps this program would really benifit you in the meantime. Sometimes, in special circumstances they can overrided the adapted housing grant or help it move along a bit quicker, so maybe that is something you should look into.

Good Luck, and I hope you manage to find and recieve the care you need, no vet should have to struggle in such a way. :)

I have multble claimse at the RO.One a housing grant that is on Appeal. Two an increcein my presnt Aiand Attendance to a highr levl. I have been reciving AA fr the pas 7 year at the L" lvel I fied for the incease becase my conition has goten seveely wors and now I in need of totl care. I had a girl coming in to help me at $10 an our but noweit is spordic. I don't have any famly or frinds to help..no on wants to cme in and bath me or cook me. My sitation is realy bad and I do the best I can. I mised 3 C&P's because of transpotation and no on to tae me. I had them scheuled to come and piak me up but they nevee shoed so the lady at the C&P schduled Specil Services to come and get me with their whelchair van. It is embarasing to go out because I stink cant shave or shoer can't eat.it is noting that about 38 cents cant take care of but I m not realy redy for that. I have chroic acute pain in my back and diabetes neuropathy that is causing me some serious pain also. I am on 2 types of pain meds one is methadone 120mg a day plus Hydroodone 10mg Soma and other stuff I am rated at 100 and my rating is like 93 for seveal diferet problem, one is ptsd since I have recived that years ago my other problems have started manifeting ovr the corse of year. I have bei afraid to file as I didnt want to to go to the VA because it cause me sevre pain for days afterward and I end up losing conrol of my uine so I didnt file becase of the problem of tring to get there or finding some to help me.

When I finaly get to the CP exam I thought the Dr would realy check me ot but I stayed in thre maybe 15 minute and she asked me some question about if I coud do ts or that, she ased me if I col and I couldnt get out of the wheelchair by myself anyway, she ased me if I could setup straght and I told her I cant do that either then she had me squeeze her fingers as hard as I could but since I don't have any feeling in my legs, feet or hands so I could not do to much there. This letter has taken me 3 days to write as I am pecking and I use my lapto in bed to have communication with others. My question is am I eligble for a hiher award than what I now recive at the "L" level. I need more money to hire someone to come in and help me 247 and that is expensive and I am not going to a nusing home or other fcility I am much more secure in my own home and I fear if I go to a home I will end up dying in there so if I can get a higher rating I can hire someone to come in fulltime. After 15min the doc told me she was not going to have me do anything else and was not gonig to reuqire me to do any other testing and that I shouldn't have anything to worry about, that comment there confused me as I think I understood it to me she would recomend a hgher level. Does anyone know what level I qould qualify for based on what is gong on with me and my cp exam?

• HadIt.com Elder

If your primary care Doc prescribes the VA will send home health care to help you. I am not sure what the criteria is but I have a nurse come twice a week and a health aide twice a week. I believe that Medicare will do it also.

Best thing is to talk to VA Social Worker yes you have one. But you have to ask

The VA has a wonderful program .Home Base Health Care. Your primary care NP or DR need to refer you to the program.The VA does a phoe interview to see if you are in true need. The service provides a whole team. Nurse, Mental health, Diatition, Ocupational theripist, chaplin and also arranges in home care bathing lite house keeping and such. You do need to only ( ASK ).

• HadIt.com Elder

For over a year the VA has sent a lady twice a week to help me with washing my feet and putting cream to stop dryness and I guess other problems. They also send a nurse who takes my temp and my blood pressure.

At first I was a little nervous but later on I like it Every 4 to 6 months they send out someone else who asks a lot of questions.

Life I think it may be same program but I am not sure.My Primary Care Physician requested it for me originally to help me develop better meds management as I take a lot of Meds and really get lost sometimes as the bottles start to stack up on my sink.