VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is It Legal?

Rate this topic

While in the recovery stage of cervical spine surgery I got to try a lot of different painkillers starting in June, 2006. (Private Sector) 3 different surgeries to date.

The final result, my preference, Oxycodone.

But the VA refused to prescribe anything.

Rather than fight City Hall I stayed with the outside doctors.

Then.

After private sector carpal tunnel releases the VA said no painkillers.

Private sector ankle joint cleanout, no VA meds.

Private sector foot fusion, nothing from the VA.

At the VA, artery cleanout, Anything that I asked for except for a bandage change.

The critical care ward didn't have enough budget to change dressings everyday.

But hey, any painkiller I ever heard of.

I was dripping blood all over myself but I got plenty of painkillers.

After leaving the VAMC, nothing.

sledge

Problem with the Private Sector, I went to the ER at Local Hospital and told them what they had done to me at the VA and that I was needing a Referral to a Outside DR. and I was told that I would have to go to the VAMC and ask my Primary Care Dr. for one. I asked out there and was told that they would not do that. O'l and got a $1200.00 Bill from Private Sector Hospital. I have Medicare too.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA has an in-patient pain program. I have thought about it. The idea of being an in-patient at the VA makes me nervous considering what they did to me last time. I would need to withdraw from the drugs I am on now. These are the crummy options we have. Your PCP should send you to the out patient pain clinic. To tell you the truth I hate pain doctors. They are a bunch of frauds and the other half are crooked. It is a racket. The frauds want to do procedures and the crooks want cash for dope.

The VA has an in-patient pain program. I have thought about it. The idea of being an in-patient at the VA makes me nervous considering what they did to me last time. I would need to withdraw from the drugs I am on now. These are the crummy options we have. Your PCP should send you to the out patient pain clinic. To tell you the truth I hate pain doctors. They are a bunch of frauds and the other half are crooked. It is a racket. The frauds want to do procedures and the crooks want cash for dope.

I was offered the Pain Clinic by the Patient Advocate and she transferred me to the telephone unit so I could request going to it. So I jumped at the chance but they are in no big hurry to get me in there.

• HadIt.com Elder

When I check in at Dallas VA they always ask me to give them a number for pain. One time the nurse a nice lady who did not speak English very well told me I was being referred top pain clinic and I said fine I am not going. I learned that 7 is OK but 8 is something they may refer you for. Guess it depends on how things are going that particular day or time.

When I check in at Dallas VA they always ask me to give them a number for pain. One time the nurse a nice lady who did not speak English very well told me I was being referred top pain clinic and I said fine I am not going. I learned that 7 is OK but 8 is something they may refer you for. Guess it depends on how things are going that particular day or time.

When I spoke with Smarta_ _ Dr. Sommerville he looked in my records and saw that the majority of the time I rated my pain from T8, T9 and T10 in my back at a 6 or a 7 and used that as an excuse to cut me off all my pain meds. By saying apparently the pain meds are not working and he did not prescribe me anything else period at that time. He prescribed me Phenyltoloxamine after a month of me complaining and doing without. That was with me calling at least 2 times a week speaking to the telephone unit and the nurse. They would all say I will leave him a note in the computer and I would receive a call back. Now after a month of me calling that was the only call back I ever received from anyone at the VA. I have called many times after that and all have gone ignored! This new med was great for my bowels but did absolutely nothing for the pain in my back. After that I was hospitalized 3 days in my local civilian hospital due to my chest pain and they come to the conclusion that I was ulcerated from all of the Ibuprofen I had been taking to try to alleviate the pain. They gave me a new presription for Etodolac and sent the script and a statement with me to the VA that said that if this new med did not work that they should re-prescribe my pain meds due to the additional health risks of the ulcers. But it went ignored too with the exception of them prescribing the new meds.

• HadIt.com Elder

My pain clinic doctor said I had unrealistic expectations because I said a pain level of 3 would be acceptable. Next time I see them I will sure say 8-10. 5-7 is not an acceptable level of pain to have to live without treatment. Let those nurses and doctors live with a pain level of 7 and see if they can do their jobs.