Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Is It Legal?

Rate this topic

You can appeal any decision made by VA but start with the Patient Advocate.

Ask to see the boss of the Doc who is making the change. I have had the same thing happen to me and I got the Doc over ruled by letting them know that there was going to be a real stink and that a 29 year old had no clue what it meant to stop cold a medication that had been prescribed continuously for over 15 years would do and that in all likely hood would result in great expense for me and the VA. I never saw that Doc again.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<div align='center'>Is it legal for a Va Medical Center Doctor to pull a 100% Permanent and Total Service connected Veterans Pain Medication (which seemed to be working fine without adverse affects) without good reason after 15 years and other Va Doctors prescribing it because they felt it was necessary?</div>

Hurting,

I have moved this topic to the Medication Forum.

Did this doctor provide you with a reason for pulling your RX ?

Did you have blood work done to check the levels of this RX in your system

and it came up empty ?

Personally, I would probably try to contact the VA Doctors that had been RXing it to me in the past

and see if they can help out.

I'd be real interested in knowing what possible reason this doc had for pulling the RX.

Is this a new PCP you have or what ?

What was the RX ?

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Hurting,

I have moved this topic to the Medication Forum.

Did this doctor provide you with a reason for pulling your RX ?

Did you have blood work done to check the levels of this RX in your system

and it came up empty ?

Personally, I would probably try to contact the VA Doctors that had been RXing it to me in the past

and see if they can help out.

I'd be real interested in knowing what possible reason this doc had for pulling the RX.

Is this a new PCP you have or what ?

What was the RX ?

carlie

Hurting,

To reply to the posts click on the reply icon ABOVE the post.

If you click on the reply icon below the post - then it will quote it.

Hope this helps.

carlie

They are being sued by a group of people who have had Brachytherapy treatment in PA. There was also a news article stating that the Huntington WV VAMC prescribed more narcotics than any other medical

facility in the nation. In order to improve their image they are cutting off patients off of their pain medications left and right.

The following is a web address in which you can listen a little to Pastor Flippin one of the patients suing due to botched Brachytherapy Surgery.

Pastor Flippin sought treatment at the VAMC in Huntington WV after the surgery in PA.

Surgical Errors at Philadelphia’s Veterans Hospital

VAMC Malpractice

Now due to these lawsuits and media publications it is the needy veterans paying a very high price by living in pain for serving their

country and getting injured because the doctors are improving the hospitals image and taking away needed medications. The patients who desperately need pain medication on a regular basis is unable to get it due to this image restoration process. I had T8, T9 and T10 crushed while I was on active duty and am now living in pain and unable to go out and enjoy life with my young children. I have missed my Daughters High School Graduation due to the inability to be functional with the increased pain factor. Not having pain medications have affected me in the following ways, I have tried to do the Ibuprofen thing and caused ulcers and also I am now having problems with my chest hurting (Bronchial and Lung) all the time and lack of energy, I have gained 50 lbs which is not good on my heart and with the inability to get out and exercise to get the weight off it is opening the door for more heart problems. I am unable to go out and enjoy life with my children. I have contacted the Patient Advocate without any help I keep being told that the Dr. has the final say when it comes to medications. Also I have requested another Dr. and was told that I could not get another one for 2 years due to the fact that I requested another dr. when they started cutting my medications I had another doctor Dr. Stemple who worked under the doctor I have now which is Dr. Summerville. I have never tested positive for drugs other than what the VA prescribed, my medication levels were always in line and have never caused any problems at the medical facility nor was I having problems with law enforcement due to being on Chronic Pain Medication nor was I having problems with Depression or family life. Now due to this Dr. Summervilles decision to cut me off of my chronic pain medication I am suffering like may others here at the Huntington WV VAMC. Due to the image restoration they are trying to do for the hospital. If anyone has any suggestions to help please send me info at safety1st@mail.org

The following statement (in bold and underlined) in the lawsuit filed has created most of the fuss.

Doctors then prescribed narcotics. “It was just a succession of painkiller after painkiller after painkiller’, Pastor Flippin said.

Hurting,

This seems alot more involved than a patient advocate could provide much help on.

I see you'r profile shows SC'd at 100 percent.

The only other suggestion I would have is to take some money and go get a private doctor.

The "Patients Rights"they have hanging up all around the VAMC's state the patient has a right to

have their pain controlled.

carlie