Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Saw An Ent Doc Yesterday

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

I saw an ENT doc yesterday after seeing an audiologist. The doc would like to do surgery on my ears to insert tubes in them, this he hopes will improve my hearing loss that the VA denied and only granted 10 percent for tinnitis. Would This procedure allow me to reopen the claim for hearing loss? I have the stressor being a combat vet in Somalia. Thanks in advance.

Edited by navydoc2

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You filed a claim for hearing loss?

How long ago?

How long after your discharge?

Was the ENT and the Audiologist both VA docs? Either, or?

Did you have a good sense of feeling that either one or the other or both would be willing to make the statement "this veteran's hearing loss is at least as likely as not due to their service in the military"?

I do not know what you mean when you say "stressor being a combat vet"? If you mean the noise of combat, then yes, that needs to be indicated in your claim filing.

Did you notify the med board on your way out about your hearing loss?

Do you have ANY med reports/clinic visits relating to your hearing loss while in the service?

How does this ENT doctor think that tubes will help your hearing, or, what I mean to ask is, what is his diagnosis that would lead up to tube insertion?

I know, I know, I'm being long-winded..............but, unless you've spent the entire day at synogogue speaking/reading Hebrew and switching back and forth between THAT and YIDDISH..........then you have NO idea what "long-winded" really IS (today's first day of Passover)! The Baptist's could do it in two hours and have everybody out by lunch-time! :huh:

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

I see films of guys in WWII and in Vietnam shooting big artillery pieces without any protection. How can they avoid damage? Just being in genereal vacinity of 155's when they go off is so loud I never learned to sleep through it.

'LarryJ' date='Mar 30 2010, 06:26 PM' post='195468']

You filed a claim for hearing loss?

I filed a claim for hearing lost back in Feb of last year and was denied in August of 09

How long ago? I was granted 10 tinnitus

How long after your discharge? Its been 11 years after discharge

Was the ENT and the Audiologist both VA docs? Either, or? I receieved a C&P from QTC back in April of last year. the audiologist recommended a follow up with ENT at that time, my primary care doc is just getting around to it

Did you have a good sense of feeling that either one or the other or both would be willing to make the statement "this veteran's hearing loss is at least as likely as not due to their service in the military"? I follow up with them in one month so I will ask

I do not know what you mean when you say "stressor being a combat vet"? If you mean the noise of combat, then yes, that needs to be indicated in your claim filing. I spent my time guarding an airport 24/7 in Somalia and planed took off and landed all day and night.

Did you notify the med board on your way out about your hearing loss? NO unfortunately I was told that it would delay my out processing so I did not mention a lot of things

Do you have ANY med reports/clinic visits relating to your hearing loss while in the service? I was a doc and self treated alot unfortunately

How does this ENT doctor think that tubes will help your hearing, or, what I mean to ask is, what is his diagnosis that would lead up to tube insertion? He says I have fluid behind my tempanic membrane and a bout of steroids and surgery may help.

I know, I know, I'm being long-winded..............but, unless you've spent the entire day at synogogue speaking/reading Hebrew and switching back and forth between THAT and YIDDISH..........then you have NO idea what "long-winded" really IS (today's first day of Passover)! The Baptist's could do it in two hours and have everybody out by lunch-time! :huh:

The adding tube may help you since it sounds like your eardrums get covered with scar tissue if they have been popped to many times from noise.the doctors do this for little kids who havent had the proper time to have a mature eustachian tube form.it equalises the air presure to the middle ear(earpops when going up or down in an aircraft) it would allow the middle ear to pick up vibrations to pass as hearing to the brain.good luck

Thanks would this help in a hearing loss claim or would this be considered a correcetd action. Also would this help with my tinnitus.

I cant say, but it maybe a way to reopening your claim with new medical evidence.worth a try,for me but its your call.MY first thought, is to get the doctor to write up the proceedure and explain the damage to the eardrum that would cause that much damage ie.the decible level. (the air force occupational hazards office at the hosp. used to keep that kind of info.)