Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advice If This Is A Good C/p Result For Me

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Hello I had my C/P exam for IU since my back went bad on me. I got the folowing from the C/P exam notes I requested

had a C/P exam for increase of my back (IVDS) ROM lumbar spine flexion with pain 0-30 extnesion with pain is 0-10 lateral flexion right and left with pain 0-12 and roatation right and left with pain is 0-20. (?) gynometer used for measurement

The ROM of the lumbar Spine as measured above is not additionally limited following repative use. (?)

Physical examination: The Lumbar Spine is Positive for grade 2 Spasm and tenderness. Straight leg raises are positve at 20 degrees for nuerological complaints. Left Gastrocnemious is 358cm compared to 42cm on right Gastrocnemious. Dep tendon relfexes are intact. Sensory is dimished in the L4-5 dermatome and gait is antalgic with crutches.

Clinical DIagnostic studies: there is Lumbar Degenarative disk disease with evidenice of Lumbar Radiculopathy.

Diagnosis Degenerative disk disease with Bilateral Lumbar radiculopathy and Gastrocnemius atrophy of the left lower extremity, Muscle group 11 on the right.

I had my back take a turn for the worse and applied. I am scheduled for Disc replacment of 4 disc with Fusion and hardware for my back. I need to know also do they rate me seperatley for the bilateral nerve dammage as well as the Atrophy fo the left leg? I started falling a lot and on top of that my hands are starting to go numb along the finger tips. My Civ nuerologist said it is where the insatability of my lower back is affecting the upper back causing nerve dmaage. As always any ideas fell free to chime in. Have a good day

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

What else did the C & P say? Did the Doctor give his/her opinion of your ability to work or how your condition affect your daily actives? Did the Doctor give a medical rationale of your condition?

Need to know more of what the C & P said.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would get a referral to a shrink. Try and link your back problems with chronic pain and depression. If you can get all this SC'ed you would be seen as a person who can't work I think.

What else did the C & P say? Did the Doctor give his/her opinion of your ability to work or how your condition affect your daily actives? Did the Doctor give a medical rationale of your condition?

Need to know more of what the C & P said.

About my back that was about it word for word no answer on the exam notes about my being able to work other than the bit about already being retired from a non SC injury not related to my back. I am going to the mental health Doc about the chronic pain and what it has done to my family. My Civ nuero Surgeon who advised on the surgery siad he would again look at my back with the MRI in hand. I am gettting ready to move overseas here soon trying to wrap everything up. My wife has taken like a months worth of time off last year alone having to come over and help me get around. I hope the ROM and what has occured so far will help me. I asked to go and see him for an opinion on if my SC keep me from working. If there is a way to e-mail you the exam notes I will black out the personal stuff and get them to you. Adios....

Sadly to say, I think you need to wait to see what VA decision will be. If your highest rating is for hypertensive heart disease, I think a letter from your heart doctor stating that you cannot work would greatly help your claim for IU. Since you already have non-service connected PTSD, I am not sure how VA would look at a claim for chronic pain syndrome/depression. You would need a psychiatrist to say that your chronic pain/depression symptoms are predominant over your non-service connected PTSD. To award your claim for IU, VA still will need something in your records that say you are unable to work or unemployable due to your service connected conditions. I am not trying to be negative, I do not know what is in your C-File but this is just my opinion. I think "normally" when a veteran files for IU, VA request a C & P exam and ask the doctors' opinion if the veteran is capable of working or not and to give a medical rationale.

If I am off others will chime in.

Hope the best.

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• HadIt.com Elder

When you get IU the regs say you must be unemployable "solely" due to your SC condtition. That one word "solely" can really trip you up. I know from personal experience. You might have 90% disability from SC condition and also have some other NSC condition. The VA will often try to blame your being IU just on the NSC condition.

Sadly to say, I think you need to wait to see what VA decision will be. If your highest rating is for hypertensive heart disease, I think a letter from your heart doctor stating that you cannot work would greatly help your claim for IU. Since you already have non-service connected PTSD, I am not sure how VA would look at a claim for chronic pain syndrome/depression. You would need a psychiatrist to say that your chronic pain/depression symptoms are predominant over your non-service connected PTSD. To award your claim for IU, VA still will need something in your records that say you are unable to work or unemployable due to your service connected conditions. I am not trying to be negative, I do not know what is in your C-File but this is just my opinion. I think "normally" when a veteran files for IU, VA request a C & P exam and ask the doctors' opinion if the veteran is capable of working or not and to give a medical rationale.

If I am off others will chime in.

Hope the best.

I agree with Pete992 and John999! IMO, I think you may need to get evaluation by an VRE counselor so VA can see that you are not employable due to SC! A good VRE counselor could make the differences in getting IU!

Good Luck!

United States Army 1990-2001

80% SC, 100% TDIU (P&T) w/SSDI

Operation Desert Shield/Storm - 1st Infantry Division