Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Jury Duty?

Rate this question

nlualum82

Question

I recently got a letter that says I've come up for county jury duty.

My VA rating is 90%, the breakdown is:

70% PTSD/MDD

50% bilateral hearing loss

10% tinnitus

10% L knee injury

10% L knee degenerative osteoarthritis

While I'm sure the knee is irrelevant to them, I thought the fact that my hearing is almost gone and my word comprehension tests rate me at 60% might eliminate me from their list BUT....they note that the offer the orientation captioned and in large print! What do they think people needing these aids will be able to do in court? I might also note here that while I am sorely in need of it, I have not made the first step toward learning sign language yet.

What about the PTSD/MDD? Do you suppose that is a disqualifier? if not automatically, perhaps at the 70% mark?

The kicker is that I work at the post office and used to teach civics. I would not so much mind doing the job, but feel that it would be unfair to somebody depending on what I heard or missed. Unlike some other less fortunate pool members, my employer will give me the necessary time off and pay me to be there - under normal circumstances, being somewhere other than the post office while they pay me would be ideal - the post office is definite stress, jury duty with my conditions is an unknown - possible stress.

I'm going to try and find out. I'll complete this form and hand carry it down instead of mailing it so I might be able to find someone to ask.

Any experiences with this in Haditland?

Gary

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I get a jury summons usually 1 or 2 times a year. That is an unfortunate by product of voting. I ignore them but I noticed that they usually have a number that you can call.

I suspect that you could write to the Judge who signed your summons and request to be removed from the jury pool. I have not tried that but seems a reasonable approach.

Just to cut some off I have been ignoring jury summons since 1991 and never heard a peep about it.

I took my jury duty notice to my ptsd nurse prationers office .I told her there was trial coming up of a woman who put her baby in the dryer and killed it. I could not handled that case as I might do my own justice. She wrote a note to the judge via mail .I was excused. In my area of the country ,the judge can put a warrant out for your arrest for not showing up on the day you're suppose to.

I completed the form, had some questions so I called a number listed on it.

I told the person who answered about my hearing. She asked if I thought it would be a problem for me. I said yes. She said, " OK, so I'll cross you off the list".

Over and done with!

Gary

• Founder

i got a letter from my doc, twice, after the second letter they said they wouldn't be calling me again. my doc had no problem writing the letter, he was concerned about me stressing out or getting re-triggered or both.

i feel bad about not serving, but it's best for me and probably better for the defendant if i'm not on the jury. :(

tbird

I recently got a letter that says I've come up for county jury duty.

My VA rating is 90%, the breakdown is:

70% PTSD/MDD

50% bilateral hearing loss

10% tinnitus

10% L knee injury

10% L knee degenerative osteoarthritis

While I'm sure the knee is irrelevant to them, I thought the fact that my hearing is almost gone and my word comprehension tests rate me at 60% might eliminate me from their list BUT....they note that the offer the orientation captioned and in large print! What do they think people needing these aids will be able to do in court? I might also note here that while I am sorely in need of it, I have not made the first step toward learning sign language yet.

What about the PTSD/MDD? Do you suppose that is a disqualifier? if not automatically, perhaps at the 70% mark?

The kicker is that I work at the post office and used to teach civics. I would not so much mind doing the job, but feel that it would be unfair to somebody depending on what I heard or missed. Unlike some other less fortunate pool members, my employer will give me the necessary time off and pay me to be there - under normal circumstances, being somewhere other than the post office while they pay me would be ideal - the post office is definite stress, jury duty with my conditions is an unknown - possible stress.

I'm going to try and find out. I'll complete this form and hand carry it down instead of mailing it so I might be able to find someone to ask.

Any experiences with this in Haditland?

Gary

About 15 years ago I told'em I had PTSD and I have not heard from them since.

sledge