VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Using A Cvillian Surgeon Over Va Surgeon

Rate this question

oldman273

Question

Hello not sure if this is right area to post but can anyone tell me if my SC back operation has to be done by VA? I am looking at back surgery been all over the place found a good surgeon clsoe to home with experience (which is very important LOL) that I want to do recomended surgery. VA wanted to do my back in Charleston but it is like a 3 hour drive from home. Driving now kils me and that far after surgery is hurting me just thinking about it. It is going to be a solo trip for me as my family is not able to go down and stay that long reason to try and do it here. I will have to get someone to come and drive me home from Charleston biggest reason is better on family here. Any Advice? I have been waiting to do surgery for 5 months for VA but nothing happen overnight with VA. I had thought I could wait my back out to see if it eased off I am ready to try surgery just way too much pain every stinking day. Civ surgeon said he could do it within two weeks. Adios this is 3 disc replacment with fushion and hardware. thanks for any all advice...

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Carlie, how do you put in such a request? Is there a special form?

Oldman, good luck, I hope all goes well!

• HadIt.com Elder

If it was me I would use the Doc with experience. I really don't want some snot nosed intern learning how to cut on me.

My knees are 80% SC and I recently had bilateral knee replacement surgery done by a civilian doctor of my choice. I sent in my information to the VA and requested the temporary rating of 100% for 13 months due to the surgery. I had to sign a release of information for copies of the hospital stay, doctors notes and physical therapy. But I got the temporary increase with no questions.

I DID NOT inform the VA I was using a civilian doctor.