VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Electric Chair Like A Hoover-round From Va ?

Rate this question

carlie

Question

Has anyone here been able to get a VA benefit for an electric scooter chair like a hoover-round

from the VA ?

Were you also able to get the car set up with a mount for it ?

If yes, what steps were necessary ?

Thanks,

carlie

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

my primary care doc stated my cardiac condition made the need of a power chair medically necessary she put in a referral to the department that issues canes, medical equipment etc (brain fart) the hospital I go to Charlie Norwood VAMC uses a 3 doctor team to approve or deny the choice of a power chair or a scooter and if it is approved they let the vet decide which electric vehicle they want and yes they pay to have a lift put on your vehicle they have sent repairmen to my home several times to fix it or replace the batteries since I first got it back in Sep 2003 they are johnny on the spot about fixing it the hard part is getting it approved

carlie: At most VA hospitals they have a mobility Clinic where you are evaluated for your need for an electric chair or kart. As testvet stated: They may give you some type of mobility test. If you can walk short distances with or without some sort of assistance, you would most likely be approved for an electric cart. They usually only give electric chairs to those who can not walk at all or if doing so would be detrimental to your health.

As to lifts for the chair or kart, at least at my hospital, that to, needs a referal from your primary Doctor. At my hospital you get such equiptment from Prostedics Dept. I've gotten such things as a Blood Pressure machine, my Canadian crutches, Diabetic shoes, and I go through them to get my kart fixed and a cherry picker style lift so I can lift my large kart into the bed of my Mazda Pickup. My VA hospital has a contract with a local company that delivered my kart and did all the install and repairs when needed.

Depending on availablity, you might get a used unit. My first kart was a used one and when it broke the drive assembly they determined it was to costly to fix and I was issued a new one.

The VA doesn't actually give you the unit, it is issued for your use and when you die, it must be reterned to the VA.

I'm going to try and see if I can trade my Kart for a electric chair, since the size of my kart makes it impossible for me to use public transportation. It's to long and with my combined weight and the kart, the lifts on most public transport can not lift over six hundred pounds even if their wasn't a problem with the overall length.

Oh yea, it may take a while, depending on their current monthly budget and/or how many people are waiting ahead of you. It took about six weeks before I got mine, after I was qualified.

I can't say for sure, that your VA Hospital works it like mine, but you can check with your Prosthetics Dept. and maybe they can tell you what procedure you need to go through and how to get a lift for your vehicle as well.

As far as I know, you don't even have to be SC to qualify, it's on a needs basis. I was only SC at 0% when I got my firt kart.

Tammy my youger Cat is letting me know it's time to sleep, she's curled up between my screen and keyboard of my computer, so I guess I better go.

Sorry for the long reply, I just thought I tell how it was for me and how good the VA here has been to me, with only a few problems, but not on the issues of this posting.

Good night and Good morning all.

Rockhound Rider :)

All you have to do is ask your PCD for a wheelchair consult. You can call Tell Health and ask them to forward your request to your Doc and do not have to schedule an appointment with them.

The VA will also provide a Lift for you car and a ramp if needed to get in and out of your home.

The VA will then drop ship to a local VA dealer and they will setup and deliver the Mobility Device. The same dealer will evaluate your vehicle and let the VA know what kind of Lift will work best for your car. They will also install the lift for you.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Someone found a way to get a free one:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article...Burlington-mall