Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Interesting Dro Hearing Today

Rate this question

Quint7

Question

I had a DRO in Buffalo today to appeal for an EED for my knee. I filed upon the end of my enlistment in July 1994 and never heard back from VA. I collected GI Bill and bought houses with my VA certificate. In 2006 I filed for my knee and was told I was 0% since 1994 due to being a no show for a C&P. The letter telling me to go was supposedly "undeliverable". I ended up with 20% from 2006.

So today I meet with the rep from NY Vets Affairs and the DRO. They had discussed my case before and I spent an hour explaining it to my rep. I had mentioned a CUE in my leters to VA. The DRO is a lawyer and a disabled Vietnam vet. He was 180 degrees opposite from the one I had before for my back and knee. Friendly, honest, seemed like a good guy.

We were discussing my case and he said that I most likely didn't meet CUE and if I had VA treatment for the knee post service I would have a solid claim. I told him about the undeliverable letter and that I had other mail delivered then that was in evidence. He said that was good but not open and shut. I also said that the rater in 1994 used my no show as the reason for 0% even though my records indicated treatment up to a month before my enlistment ended. I thought my military records were enough to rate something above 0% no matter what. He said that they might, especially if part of my claim was for "pain".

He said "pain" ALWAYS rates a minimum of 10%, even without an exam. For the knee, pain even supersedes range of motion so that even if you have 100% range of motion, if you have pain during that range of motion it is supposed to be an automatic 10% as pain is always rateable above 0%. I was amazed. He said that didn't promise me the EED at 10% or higher, but that is the way he has always applied the regs.

Then I mentioned never receiving a letter letting me know I had been given 0% in 1994. He looked quickly in my folder and said it wasn't right there where it should be, which would mean the claim was never final and would allow him to rate it as though it was just opened which would be very beneficial to me. He said that he would go page by page to see if it was mixed in somewhere else, but if not then it changed the whole ball game.

I also mentioned that the free copy of my C-file was incomplete and said that the envelope that was in front of him showing the "undeliverable" letter was not copied. He got very upset and said that he would order them to make a complete new copy of the whole c-file for free. My rep asked him to delay that until he made his decision so that it wouldn't delay that and the DRO agreed that it was a wise thing to do and made sure that my rep had me sign a form stating that I would wait til after the decision to get that additional copy. I also signed a form rescinding my mention of a CUE as he said that would eliminate a lot of time and BS just to have it denied.

So overall I think it went 70% towards I win, 30% towards I will lose out on a technicality. My rep thinks more like 90/10%. The DRO was obviously being straight with us and while I won't say he was pro-vet, he belived the spirit of the VA regs are to do everything that the VA can to help the vet get any and all comp. due. I told him that even if I end up with nothing changed that just having a meeting like that was worth the appeal and he said that he appreciated that.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Quint7 - I'm thinking positive right along with you. I'm sure it was great to speak to somebody that appeared to be listening for a change. I hope everything goes well for you. Keep us informed!

CHR49

• HadIt.com Elder
:rolleyes: !

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

Good luck! I hope it all goes well for you as I am awaiting a DRO Hearing in Buffalo, too. I hope I get the same guy you are talking about. He at least sounds fair.

Pat

I wonder if I would have all the medical conditions that I have now if I had never joined the Army. I'm pretty sure the answer would probably be no. When I look around and see others my age who were not in the service, most of them look pretty healthy.

Do you think all the employees of the VA really understand that it is ONLY because we served that their positions even exist?

'67-'68 1st Cav, '69-'70 101st Abn

• HadIt.com Elder

Quint it looks pretty good to me from your account.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder
I told him that even if I end up with nothing changed that just having a meeting like that was worth the appeal and he said that he appreciated that.

Good Morning Quint7...

Thank you for sharing your DRO hearing experience. It must be a relief to have that portion of your appeal over.

Currently, I am waiting for my DRO meeting, and find your insights very helpful. Thanks, again.

My most positive thoughts are with you, for a positive outcome.

"it shall be remembered"...

"We few"

"We happy few"

Quint- so nice to hear that someone at Buffalo was receptive to your claim.The DRO I had told my rep she could not read my IMOs.

The BVA could read them and I won- but by then Buffalo had ignored my evidence for almost 7 years.

Are you still employed? If not -did you formally file for TDIU?

It sounds to me like this DRO will consider everything and give you a proper decison.

He is a lawyer too? That means he definitely will consider your evidence.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.