Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Helping Out A Friend...

Rate this question

KamiKappa B

Question

Hi all,

I recently reconnected with one of my Marine buddies who served with me in Iraq. He currently is not receiving any compensation from the VA due to being mislead and misinformed. When I knew him in service he had a short temper and that lead to him just giving up on any claim from the VA instead of continuously pursuing it. If there is anyone that can relate to me and my time in Iraq is this guy. We were both mechanics and he and I worked as a team. He went through everything I went through, so I can't stand by and receive compensation for things while he does not. I may not be able to get the guy 100%, but even if we just get our foot in the door then it's a start. I should have done more research before I agreed to help him, but in the military he was one of my juniors and I automatically switched to that mindset where I have to look out for him. We would basically be starting from scratch. He does not have any of the paperwork from before. Any advice you guys could give me on helping him out will be greatly appreciated.

Kappa

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

If he is starting from scratch, this will take some time. First if he can afford to see a doctor have him get checked out (examine and treated) for any condition he can remember he was treated for in the military. At this time he needs to request a copy of his military records (all types personnel and medical records) he can request them at:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/. Once he gets a copy of his records he needs to review them and take a copy to his doctor to have his doctor review them to see if anything can be linked together. Then at this time he can file a claim with VA for any condition(s) he feels should be service connected. He should make a copy of the specific medical records an attach them to the VA form 21-526: http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-526-ARE.pdf. You can also write a statement on his behalf if you were present at the time of the incident.

If he ever filed a claim, he needs to request a copy of his C-file from VA to find out what happened and what is in his C-file.

If I am off someone else will chime in.

As Always Hope the Best

Since you are service connected you should remember this and be a great help to him.

• HadIt.com Elder
Hi all,

I recently reconnected with one of my Marine buddies who served with me in Iraq. He currently is not receiving any compensation from the VA due to being mislead and misinformed. When I knew him in service he had a short temper and that lead to him just giving up on any claim from the VA instead of continuously pursuing it. If there is anyone that can relate to me and my time in Iraq is this guy. We were both mechanics and he and I worked as a team. He went through everything I went through, so I can't stand by and receive compensation for things while he does not. I may not be able to get the guy 100%, but even if we just get our foot in the door then it's a start. I should have done more research before I agreed to help him, but in the military he was one of my juniors and I automatically switched to that mindset where I have to look out for him. We would basically be starting from scratch. He does not have any of the paperwork from before. Any advice you guys could give me on helping him out will be greatly appreciated.

Kappa

Well, like us Jarheads from another "ERA" used to say:

"Rotsa Ruck, Challee"

I say that for one VERY GOOD REASON..............If HE is not "motivated" then you, YOU, are gonna be draggin the bag, by YOSELF!

And, you bein' a Good Marine, you KNOW what that means, si'?

I am an accredited veterans service officer and I HATE UNMOTIVATED PEEPS. They come in, they lay the crap on YOU, then they go home and call back in three days wondering where THEIR VA CHECK IS!!! you think I'm KIDDING, doncha ya?

When I knew him in service he had a short temper and that lead to him just giving up on any claim from the VA instead of continuously pursuing it. If there is anyone that can relate to me and my time in Iraq is this guy.

Going by the above, I take it this vet filed a claim for something.

Exactly what did he file a claim for and what exactly does the Rating Decision

state in the Reasons and Bases Section for the denial ?

I would want to see the above in print before I did anything else BUT ALSO keep in

mind, that if he received a Rating Decision less than one year ago, then a NOD

of some form needs to be filed, prior to the one year timeframe running out, to preserve the EED.

We were both mechanics and he and I worked as a team. He went through everything I went through, so I can't stand by and receive compensation for things while he does not.

Just because YOU feel that "He went through everything I went through", does not mean at all

that he has the same residual effects that have produced some type of disability, such as

the same as you are receiving SC'd compensation for.

I understand how you feel but your problems and his problems with regard to SC'd

compensation are totally separate issues. This is especially true if mental health conditions

are of issue.

Example:

1)

I may have a residual disability of PTSD from an IED that landed right by another

veteran and myself.

The other veteran may have just laughed about it and said yea - ha, ha they missed,

and have no problems with it at all - where I on the other hand, hear a lawn mower

or vehicle back-fire, run for cover, break out in panic attacks, regular nightmares,

walk the house all night with a Baretta, etc..... See the difference ?

2)

I get a TBI and have a lifetime of Seizures.

The other vet has a TBI, with no residual disability.

Again ... see the difference ?

carlie

I am an accredited veterans service officer and I HATE UNMOTIVATED PEEPS. They come in, they lay the crap on YOU, then they go home and call back in three days wondering where THEIR VA CHECK IS!!! you think I'm KIDDING, doncha ya?

Larry,

Man o man - do you ever have that right !

carlie