Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reimbursement For Copays Since Tdiu Award

Rate this question

blackbird

Question

Hello Vets, Can anyone tell me if copays for private medical services made since TDIU can be refunded from the VA? I was granted TDIU back to August 09 and have had medical bills with copays that I've made since. The services were for treatment in January thru March of 2010, and I wasn't notified of the TDIU award until March 2010. So of course I wasn't even in the VA health system at the time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Blackbird

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Hello Vets, Can anyone tell me if copays for private medical services made since TDIU can be refunded from the VA? I was granted TDIU back to August 09 and have had medical bills with copays that I've made since. The services were for treatment in January thru March of 2010, and I wasn't notified of the TDIU award until March 2010. So of course I wasn't even in the VA health system at the time.

Blackbird

Interesting question, blackbird. I don't know the rules regarding your situation. I feel that you should be reimbursed.

Have you approached your VAMC Fee Basis people, or "customer service" yet?

How much are you talking about? You may have to file a NOD if the VA declines... Good luck.

Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

Blackbird

Nope. Their come-back will be that nothing precluded you from having signed up for treatment at the VA Medical Center from the date of your discharge from AD.

And, of course, for you to receive what they call "fee for service" medical treatment from a medical provider other than the VA, then you must be "approved" for this service PRIOR to receiving such treatment.

Now, that's the way that I see it. Others may have other opinions.

One of the first things that I advise ANY veteran to do is to get down to their local VA Medical Center or VA Community Clinic and get "signed up" for VA Medical Care.

This is the ONE thing that ALL vets have a certain amount of privilege to, and that is VA provided medical care. Yes, you will have to pay a co-payment, if your disability percentage is not high enough to keep you from having to.............but, just the fact of getting the VA to "pony-up" to an acceptance of at least some of your medical care is a big BIG step in the right direction, for you, as you age, do not KNOW what is waiting right around the corner, and what you will find that the VA is responsible for, as concerns your health. There are illnesses that are being discovered at this time that are related to service in the Nam.

Get "on board".

Interesting question, blackbird. I don't know the rules regarding your situation. I feel that you should be reimbursed.

Have you approached your VAMC Fee Basis people, or "customer service" yet?

How much are you talking about? You may have to file a NOD if the VA declines... Good luck.

Thanks Commander Bob for the reply. I have a meeting scheduled for the 14th of May to meet my VA primary care Dr. and get enrolled in the health system. As far as how much, it would be a couple thousand and seems to be increasing due to current testing on my back being done by my neurosurgeon. I want to meet with the Fee Basis people also.

Blackbird

Blackbird

I tend to agree with Larry. Go ahead and try, but I dont see you getting reimbursement for copays on private care. It is one of those VA "Gothcha's". You see, the spouse of a 100% disabled Vet gets to choose whether she wants to go to the VA hospital or private hospital thru Champva. Vets, however, dont get a choice. It really puzzles me that our wives have more options, and thus better care than we do. We have an option...go to the VA, or pay up on our own (less applicable insurance..if we have private insurance.)

I am a disabled Vet and the Va pays zero towards my private medical care, except in some very, very limited circumstances such as there not being a VA hospital within a hundred miles and I have a bona fide medical emergency such as a heart attack or car accident.

• HadIt.com Elder

Blackbird

I certainly agree with LarryJ and broncovet. I have spent thousands for the treatment of my combat wounds. However I do find your Aug.09 EED and treatment dates interesting. Did you seek treatment at the VA prior to March 2010, and were turned away?