Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finding A Fellow Soldier For Statement

Rate this question

cannoncocker

Question

I used the search option but nada. I am looking for suggestions for sites or organizations that would help locate a felow soldier from about 1980 in Germany 2Bn/41st FA. A county VSO suggested:

1. http://army.togetherweserved.com/ costs about 20 bucks, which say zero would be better but in the long run it would be well worth it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated or your experience in finding an active duty fellow US Army. Either retired or etsed by now. for all I know he could be anywhere but i know is hometown was Houston.

Appreciate your experience in this. Nothing from a straight google.

David

Edited by cannoncocker

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Are you serious? You were really able to get this kind of information from your Congressman's office??

Yes, about 5 years ago. They were quite helpful contacting DOD and other gov. agencies. I learned, that after 35 years of thinking that I stepped on a land mine, that the report read that the guy ahead of me actually tripped an IED and blew us all up.

Edited by Commander Bob

Another thing I've had some success with is,

if you know the town and state they were from

your can check their name through the property appraiser's

(property tax accessors) web site.

carlie

I have personal experienc with the property appraiser method so that is possible. Although all I have is his full last name and two initials for his first= J D !!!!!!! I do know where he did live and probably still does.

He got out and then got back in so odds are he stayed since he had time to weigh the plus and minus of the Army. So the DFAS in Indianapolis is another goodun.

http://www.military.com/buddy-finder/

http://army.togetherweserved.com/ but 20 bucks on a shot in the dark is not my first choice.

The situation I am trying to Corroborate is a FA acident, or near fatal accident. I just wrote the whole thing and decided to erase it. That just isn't something you go around telling, but rest assured no commander is going to log that, especially since only the members of our crew and some of our company even knew it happened but if things had gone south plenty of people would have been aware. It just happens when you mix people, 3am, days without sleep and High explosives.

Thanks for the leads.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have personal experienc with the property appraiser method so that is possible. Although all I have is his full last name and two initials for his first= J D !!!!!!! I do know where he did live and probably still does.

He got out and then got back in so odds are he stayed since he had time to weigh the plus and minus of the Army. So the DFAS in Indianapolis is another goodun.

http://www.military.com/buddy-finder/

http://army.togetherweserved.com/ but 20 bucks on a shot in the dark is not my first choice.

The situation I am trying to Corroborate is a FA acident, or near fatal accident. I just wrote the whole thing and decided to erase it. That just isn't something you go around telling, but rest assured no commander is going to log that, especially since only the members of our crew and some of our company even knew it happened but if things had gone south plenty of people would have been aware. It just happens when you mix people, 3am, days without sleep and High explosives.

Thanks for the leads.

I agree about laying the whole story out on the Internet. However, if your situation involved any military equipment, medical care or other GI stuff, you would be surprised what you can find if you dig deep enough.

Good luck in you quest.

Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

I never had much to do with heavy stuff but you know those track mounted 4.2 mortars? We had one at Fort Stewart that the springs caught on it and when it shot the round out it took about 6 inches of the 113's back deck with it I promise you a bunch of guys had to change clothes that night and no one was laughing at them we were lucky no one was killed then there was the day one dropped into the tube and didn't come out some one has to be on the open end when they turn it upside down to shake it out to catch it I have been there to just praying that cheese charge did not ignite I can barely imagine what it would be like in a 155 or so I did get a first row seat to a beheading one night when they moved tracks on Super Bowl Sunday 1982 at NTC everyone was drunk and they decided to line up for the morning attack about 2200 hours a PV2 was caught between 2 Sheridans mocked up up to resemble BMPs the sharp edge of the rear tank pushed him into the rear deck of the sheridan in front the whole chain of command from Squad Leader to Company Commander was relieved they deserved it

• HadIt.com Elder

I have orders and promotions that show everyones Social Security number. I hear you can find anyone if you have their social

From the little digging that I've done up to tthis point I think I'll be needing the CC #'s/Address/Phone plus cell/mother's maiden name...

Seems like you could go to the VA web site and post a msg and leave it to the vet individually whether to respond or not. This isn't a spam or privacy issue qat least as far as I am concerned. But who ask if I was concerned. Quite right, nobody. Does seem like you could just anonymously post a msg to a fellow vet and then they could do whatever they felt like doing, even if they ever checked the site.

I know that would make it easier to get buddy statements, assuming there would be any impetuous to do that, which there is none of that laying around, impetuous that is. So maybe I can call the national records center tomorrow about sending a msg to the vet, but heck I don't have an address.

I can see the old to hard to do box again with the minor possibility of the property records in Harris County Houton, Tx. I have a brother in //houston that could do some le work on that.

Testvet, Me thinks you are right on this one, but I will try yo find the number for DFAS in Indianapolis and see if that is feasable and if they can locate the vet with the little info I have. Weird how little I remember of the names etc from that time period, since that was 6.5 years. some of those guys I really did like.

Also in a few weeks I will have to call my DAV Rep, which is about as much fun as an old scholl root canal, and see if he can dig it up. You know they have to be the VA system somewhere, just a matter of willingness to go out of his way to help out, and brother don't you know that is unlikely. More likely the Fl County VSO, more receptive, no bad blood....

Edited by cannoncocker