Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Going To Have 2 Mri's This Week

Rate this question

halos2

Question

How terrible is it to be soooo claustrophobic one cannot have certain diagnostic tests without being sedated! Pain Dr ordered new MRI's and sedation...(take the key and knock her out...) so the contract hospital tells me this is general anesthesia/intubation/monitored/anestheologist/iv's...I tell them no just IV sedation...So I reschedule 2 times till they finally get a personal phone call from the physician...Well low and behold finally get it right...IV sedation for both exams this week.

Tried to use so called open MRI 2x but climbed out panicking with severe traumatic anxiety...this is nothing new. Other hospital which is closer to me did them on 2 seperate occasions(iv sedated of course). But that was with own private insurance when I worked for the state.

Just thinking about this is making me soooooooooooo nervous; the what if's are creeping in my mind...getting so anxious. Asked them if they could sedate me for the open machine and they said NOPE! I am afraid I will wake up and panic so badly I may induce myself into having a heart attack! Took 40 minutes at other hospital but this hospital says at least 1 hour,YUCK!! ;)

Nothing can ever be over my face, not ever! I have to always be able to have open space above my face...and reach about this area with my hands. Also no one can ever hug me above my arms as I feel trapped too...I have to have my arms on top to withdraw or escape first.

Thanks military for warping me so badly when it comes to open spaces, and safety issues. (actually it wasn't the military itself but the terrible occurance while on active duty...don't ask as I will never tell...toooo traumatic)

I am getting nervous just writing/thinking about it...other pain dr ordered cervical, lumbar, brain, but no sedation and I climbed out...so been a few years. :)

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Be glad that they are willing to sedate you. I know I am I cannot stand being in closed and or tight places.

Don't be embarrassed....There are MANY of us out there who can't tolerate a MRI or CT scan, I can't even be in a 6 man tent with my hubby without having the flap open (not great for keeping out the mosquitos!!), have a miserable time at the dentist when they TRY to make me lie flat - won't do it! I managed to get thru an "open" MRI with oral anti-anxiety meds, but it was a struggle. Am so glad that you stuck to your guns - no need to have you intubated - IV meds will work great. Good luck.

Lorraine

Been up all night panicking...leaving hotel to go to hosptial....eeck....this is f'ing scaring me...hope I don't have a heart attack in chamber...Love all here at hatit...hope I survive...remember to fight no matter what...tbird knows who I am as well as Larryj, if anything changes...give best to my family, halos :blink: ;)

Edited by halos2

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have xanax take one before you get out of car to go in and one before you sign up. That is what I would do.

I have trouble at dentist also and laying flat. I like to be able to get to my feet quickly for some reason.

good luck Halos I am having anxiety just reading your post! The thought of being in the chamber and feeling covered up is a nightmare.

Good Luck seriously.

How terrible is it to be soooo claustrophobic one cannot have certain diagnostic tests without being sedated! Pain Dr ordered new MRI's and sedation...(take the key and knock her out...) so the contract hospital tells me this is general anesthesia/intubation/monitored/anestheologist/iv's...I tell them no just IV sedation...So I reschedule 2 times till they finally get a personal phone call from the physician...Well low and behold finally get it right...IV sedation for both exams this week.

Tried to use so called open MRI 2x but climbed out panicking with severe traumatic anxiety...this is nothing new. Other hospital which is closer to me did them on 2 seperate occasions(iv sedated of course). But that was with own private insurance when I worked for the state.

Just thinking about this is making me soooooooooooo nervous; the what if's are creeping in my mind...getting so anxious. Asked them if they could sedate me for the open machine and they said NOPE! I am afraid I will wake up and panic so badly I may induce myself into having a heart attack! Took 40 minutes at other hospital but this hospital says at least 1 hour,YUCK!! :blink:

Nothing can ever be over my face, not ever! I have to always be able to have open space above my face...and reach about this area with my hands. Also no one can ever hug me above my arms as I feel trapped too...I have to have my arms on top to withdraw or escape first.

Thanks military for warping me so badly when it comes to open spaces, and safety issues. (actually it wasn't the military itself but the terrible occurance while on active duty...don't ask as I will never tell...toooo traumatic)

I am getting nervous just writing/thinking about it...other pain dr ordered cervical, lumbar, brain, but no sedation and I climbed out...so been a few years. ;)

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey Halos,

Your talking to a Marine that had to have 8 MRIs since 1997. I freaked out the first time they put me in and had to re-schedule. Everytime after that I took 2 xanax like Pete said and I could care less what they did to me. I used to freak out before going though. I even had a disc-o-gram done. That's where they lay you on a table on your stomach and stick a huge needle into your discs and blow them up. They are trying to re-create your pain so no meds until after the exam. You'll get through it.