Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I File

Rate this question

20yrserviceconnected

Question

My Story:

I have been service connected since my discharge from the Army in dec. 1982 for major depression with PCS.

I did not know i could get help from the v.a. for mental health issues or apply for increased benifits until last year when i married my 3rd and present wife. She did research and has really pushed me to get the help and rating she is sure i deserve.

Because of the depression i am on my 3rd marriage since discharge because i have trouble maintaining a healthy relationship. I have had 5 DUI's because I tend to drink heavily once i get severly depressed.

I attempted suicide once while in the service. I spent 6 months in a military hospital and was discharged from there with 10% SC disability for major depression with PCS (was hit in the head twice just prior to the attempted suioside)

Again in 1990 i shot my self missing my heart by 1/4 of an inch. Because of that my splean was removed, i lost part of my rib cage on the left side, lost part of my stomach, liver and pancreas. I also have major scars on my chest and stomach.

I had to start wearing glasses after discharge because of vision problems which may or may not be related to my PCS. have also lost part of my hearing when there are background noice or crowds. I think this is from being hit in the head. Now i have adult onset Diabeties. Probably from partil loss of my pancreas.

In Jan. 2010 i filled the following claims at my wifes insistance:

1) increase in disability due to worsened major depression

2) erectial dysfunction as secondary to major depression. I can not get and/or keep an erection because of my meds for ED. They gave me meds for it but they do not work.

3) Alcohol dependence as secondary to major depression.

What do you think my chances are on these claims? What % do you think they may give? should I file a claim for the other injuries related to the attempted suiside as secondary to major depression? if so what should i file for?

Thanks for listening !

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

20years,

Welcome to Hadit.

You have a few different issues in your topic, so I have moved your topic

to Claims/Benefits Research, where more members will see it.

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

I think you should start with a request for increased rating for depression, based on the info you have provided here. Good luck

/doc

• HadIt.com Elder

You have a good chance increasing but its hard to get more pay than 100% but it is possible. If you have agoraphobia you can ask for SMC and get an SMC S award or a little over 300 bucks a month. You can possibly get a K award for the erectile dysfunction You won't get anything from VA unless you ask.

Since you have 100% over 20 years it is protected and any review cannot change it so go for it.

Welcome to Hadit

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

You have a good chance increasing but its hard to get more pay than 100% but it is possible. If you have agoraphobia you can ask for SMC and get an SMC S award or a little over 300 bucks a month. You can possibly get a K award for the erectile dysfunction You won't get anything from VA unless you ask.

Since you have 100% over 20 years it is protected and any review cannot change it so go for it.

Welcome to Hadit