Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Too Good To Be True?

Rate this question

JHawks

Question

I have a SC left ankle that is totally messed up to the point I wear prescribed braces and walk with a cane. I put in a new claim for my knees and right ankle as secondary to my left ankle. I have been seeing two private Dr.s and both have concluded the problems with my knees and the right ankle are probably associated with my left ankle disability. I had my C&P yesterday in Charleston. I asked the C&P Dr. after the exam if he thought my knees and right ankle were secondary. He said absolutely. I had given him the opinions of both my private Dr.'s, X-Ray reports and actual X_Ray films. He kept them (I have copies).

How do you guys feel about this? Do C&P Dr.'s usually give you an opinion about conditions being secondary to your SC Disability or do you think he was just trying to blow me off.? I hate to get my hopes up.

70% SC Disabled Vet

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

JHawks,

Sounds good to me.

If the C&P was done at your VAMC, I would give it one week and then go to ROI and get a copy of the exam.

Then you will know for sure what was entered into the record.

jmho

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

For sure get a copy. I just got mine and the conclusion was "It is at least likely as not that the coronary artery disease (IHD) is caused by or secondary to service connected hypertension." I am sort of hopeful. My case went to the rating board May 13th and still have not heard anything. What the doctor told you is a good sign, but verify with a copy of your exam. If there is negative stuff in it, get a civilian doctor's opinion to counteract it and send it in ASAP. Good luck.

Always remember and never forget, if you are not here, there you are.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have a SC left ankle that is totally messed up to the point I wear prescribed braces and walk with a cane. I put in a new claim for my knees and right ankle as secondary to my left ankle. I have been seeing two private Dr.s and both have concluded the problems with my knees and the right ankle are probably associated with my left ankle disability. I had my C&P yesterday in Charleston. I asked the C&P Dr. after the exam if he thought my knees and right ankle were secondary. He said absolutely. I had given him the opinions of both my private Dr.'s, X-Ray reports and actual X_Ray films. He kept them (I have copies).

How do you guys feel about this? Do C&P Dr.'s usually give you an opinion about conditions being secondary to your SC Disability or do you think he was just trying to blow me off.? I hate to get my hopes up.

Sure, C&P examiners do give opinions about service connection or aggravation or secondary service connections or even nexus opinions.........that is their purpose.

Matter-of-fact, the C&P examiner is the one that won me service connection on two of my claims. Of course the OTHER C&P examiner is the one that caused me a denial on two claims. And, my VA psychiatrist and his PA are the ones that backed me up for my 100%. I have had absolutely NO LUCK with Independent Medical Opinions/Examinations..........and my wife is a nurse and KNOWS these schmucks!

Edited by LarryJ

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

I just don't want to get my hopes up. The best I could get from my own Dr.'s was "Probably caused by my SC ankle" in writing. I've already sent those documents to the VA and gave copies to the C&P Dr. When the C&P Dr. told me that they were absolutely secondary I was shocked. I thought about what he said during the 2 hr. drove home. I have to realize I am trying to get both knees and my other ankle rated as secondary. The VA has let me down in the past.

70% SC Disabled Vet

• HadIt.com Elder

The thing is he has to say that in his written report. Saying it to you means nothing. These doctors usually don't include linking secondary conditions that are not formally claimed by the vet. You may have gotten lucky. In 40 years I have had two sympathetic C&P exams. The rest were slamming me. Don't give up!

The thing is he has to say that in his written report. Saying it to you means nothing. These doctors usually don't include linking secondary conditions that are not formally claimed by the vet. You may have gotten lucky. In 40 years I have had two sympathetic C&P exams. The rest were slamming me. Don't give up!

I did formally claim these items as secondary in my claim. I was there for a C&P about just that. I agree what he says to me is one thing and that what he writes down in his report is another. That's why I am not getting overly excited about what he told me.

I've been down this road before. I know what the VA will do and what they can do to crush a Vet.

70% SC Disabled Vet