VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can The Va Bill My Insurance Company For My Nsc Healthcare?

Rate this question

LarryJ

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

This is the "signature page" from your application for VA Healthcare Benefits:

SECTION XII - ASSIGNMENT OF BENEFITS

VETERAN'S NAME (Last, First, Middle) SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

SIGNATURE OF APPLICANT DATE

VA FORM

NOV 2009 10-10EZ PAGE 3

I understand that pursuant to 38 U.S.C. Section 1729, VA is authorized to recover or collect from my health plan (HP) for

the reasonable charges of nonservice-connected VA medical care or services furnished or provided to me. I hereby

authorize payment directly to VA from any HP under which I am covered (including coverage provided under my spouse's

HP) that is responsible for payment of the charges for my medical care, including benefits otherwise payable to me or my

spouse.

ALL APPLICANTS MUST SIGN AND DATE THIS FORM. REFER TO INSTRUCTIONS WHICH DEFINE WHO CAN SIGN ON BEHALF OF THE VETERAN

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am now sorry that I started this thread.

The ONLY reason that I did is because every week or so, someone asks the question:

"Can the VA actually bill my insurance company?" or some other such question dealing with why or whether it is "legal" for the VA to bill a veteran's private insurance.

That is the ONLY reason that I started this thread. I KNOW that some members have strong feelings as to whether the VA SHOULD bill private insurance..........but, please...as strongly as you may feel about this, let's remember one thing:

We're ALL in this life raft, together!

Callover

If you think you get such great treatment at the VA why don't you drop your BC/BS? Do you get all your treatment at the VA? If you were going in for triple by-pass surgery would you use your local VAMC, or would you look around your city for the best doctor to do it even if it meant using your insurance and having some co-pay? I use the VA primarily to document my treatment for SC conditions. For that I get a bill sent to my insurance. Your VAMC is a teaching hospital. I hope you are so optimistic when a medical student at the VA cuts your chest open, and slices through your aorta.

To Sledge and John: Sledge, an opinion is just that, " an opinion". No proof is needed. You make statements. Have you ever had a course in Economics about cost and expenditures. Gotta take money in to stay in business. Wasn't it just a while back the VA big wigs under estimated their budget and congress bailed them out.Explain VA'a version of math. Help you volunteer. Get real!!! Why don't you quit whining and go to your local VA ans ask " how can I volunteer", very simple. Try it. John. I never whinned about my insurance paying VA. My cost goes up like everybodys as it is through OPM and there is a yearly increase, as in most insurance. Your interests state "fighting with the VA and my neighbors." Sounds like your just a delight to be around. You must be a barrel of fun. I keep my insurance because I have a choice of who I want to perform my surgery. I have never said the VA is perfect but what is?

• HadIt.com Elder

There is no reason for anyone here to take a comment personally and attack another Member.

• HadIt.com Elder

Larry, I would like to apologize.

Pete, you are absolutely correct.

sledge

Thanks, but you don't owe me an apology.