VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can The Va Bill My Insurance Company For My Nsc Healthcare?

Rate this question

LarryJ

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

This is the "signature page" from your application for VA Healthcare Benefits:

SECTION XII - ASSIGNMENT OF BENEFITS

VETERAN'S NAME (Last, First, Middle) SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

SIGNATURE OF APPLICANT DATE

VA FORM

NOV 2009 10-10EZ PAGE 3

I understand that pursuant to 38 U.S.C. Section 1729, VA is authorized to recover or collect from my health plan (HP) for

the reasonable charges of nonservice-connected VA medical care or services furnished or provided to me. I hereby

authorize payment directly to VA from any HP under which I am covered (including coverage provided under my spouse's

HP) that is responsible for payment of the charges for my medical care, including benefits otherwise payable to me or my

spouse.

ALL APPLICANTS MUST SIGN AND DATE THIS FORM. REFER TO INSTRUCTIONS WHICH DEFINE WHO CAN SIGN ON BEHALF OF THE VETERAN

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Back to the original subject. When the VA bills an insurance company for SC related costs, It is trying to benefit from it's own shortcomings.

If the VA provided the needed medical care to the same levels that are available in the conventional medical care systems, there would be no need for a veteran to carry medical insurance, including Medicare.

Not only does the veteran pay the premiums, and the VA receives benefits from the veteran's expense, it's downright fraudulent billing.

Years ago most policies had a "do not pay the government" clause. I believe this was legislated out.

The first I heard of the practice of paying the government was when a retired military member was using military medical services, and if there was insurance, such as an employer's group policy, the group policy was billed.

The issue of co-pay still leaves a very bad taste. When a SC'd veteran has a "presumptive" disease, the VA will keep on charging co-pay, even after compensation is awarded. Recovery is another battle with the VA.

I have had VA doctors over ruled by the VA financial people as to what drugs are treatment for SC'd disease. In one case I know about, a VA doctor listed the drugs as proper treatment for a SC'd condition in the VAMC computer system.

The Dublin GA VAMC financial side changed the doctor's classification to not related to SC'd condition treatment, even though the VA's treatment guide says that they are required for proper treatment.

Evidently, the doctor involved subsequently left the VA and went back to private (clinical) practice and teaching with a well known medical school.

• HadIt.com Elder

NO!

Getting "back to the ORIGINAL subject. YES. The VA can bill your private insurance for NON-SERVICE CONNECTED Healthcare.

That is all.

Complete.

Fini.

Finished.

Enough.

No Mas.

Whoa.

Stop.

STFU.