Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes, Medications,

Rate this question

Papa Jack

Question

I have a few questions , I was going to post on the claims research forum but it says I cannot start a new subject...or something like that.

I am rated at 80% from the VA for PTSD and Diabetes.

1) I am Diabetic, VA Diagnosed me. VA provides my Metformin.

I have friends who I served with in Nam, most all have Diabetes, One in Texas gets shoes and socks from the VA about every 6 months.

I asked him how he got the ugly shoes ? He said from the VA and If I had Diabetes I could get em too... Just had to ask and to be fitted by the VA.

So I asked the VA dr. How can I get shoes and Socks ? He says do you have sores on your feet ? NO, my feet are pretty good other than Fungus and some loss of feeling... He says, then you don't get shoes....

So, are shoes available and if so, whats the deal getting em ????

2) Medications: Prior to getting into the VA I had a local DR., Because I had high blood pressure and Cholestrol, I was on several meds.for treatment.

Quinapril

Atenolol

Hydrochlorothiazide

Zocor ( Cholesterol )

I asked the VA dr. about getting these meds thru the VA ? NOPE, you had high B/P before we diagnosed the high blood sugar...However, they did issue me Simvastatin in place of the Zocor. They also started me on low dose aspirin and they issue that as well.

I thought that when I was 80% I was intitled to ALL my meds ?????

So one day I was having a VA check up, and the Dr wrote a Rx for Lisinapril, she said it would help my B/P and protect my kidneys....( I am already taking QUINAPRIL and I listed it in my list of meds. ! It was in my files ). I didn't take the pills, I knew better. She called a few days later and asked how I was doing, I asked her about the Lisinapril and informed her that I was taking Quinapril..... Ohhhhh my goodness, I see that now on the computer, I'm so sorry, do not take those meds ,you are already taking the same drugs.!

Seeee, here is the problem, every time I go to the VA I sign in on the computer and it lists all my Medications and asks if I am still taking them, I mark all the boxes, and I carry a list of all my meds. So now I have VA meds and non VA Rx's, and sometime or other there is going to be a BIG mistake because they don't pay attention !!

Sooooo, How do I get the VA to give me my drugs ?

I attend my Viet Nam Unit reunions, they are held every two years, talking with the guys ( most all of them have Diabetes....and B/P and Cholesterol ) I find that most all are 100% one way or another ( PTSD or whatever..) and they are getting their meds from the VA.

I am also finding that there is a wide difference in the way the VA treats the vets. from one state to another. Some have no problems at all, some have to jump thru hoops.

This is the first of several questions, I hope you guys can offer some answers, I'll get into my claim at a later post......Thanks for your time !! "Papa Jack" ps: as of the 10th of July, I am once again PAPA JACK, my grandson #4 was born, Life is GOOD ! my gene pool lives on....

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This is why, I ask for the Reg that calls for the treatment and whats included...I'm not going to fight with a knife and the VA have the gun..I lose, you lose and every vet lose's for treatment under this condition or any other condition for that matter.

I have been a member of this board for yrs, but post very little, I read and enlight'en myself with your alls knowledge. This board is been a great help for all vets. Keep up the good fight and never leave anyone behind.

Maybe this will help you :

http://www1.va.gov/opa/publications/benefits_book/benefits_chap01.asp

Prosthetic and Sensory Aids

Veterans receiving VA care for any condition may receive VA prosthetic appliances, equipment and services, such as home respiratory therapy, artificial limbs, orthopedic braces and therapeutic shoes, wheelchairs, powered mobility, crutches, canes, walkers, and other durable medical equipment and supplies.

VA will provide hearing aids and eyeglasses to Veterans who receive increased pension based on the need for regular aid and attendance or being permanently housebound; receive compensation for a service-connected disability; are former POWs or a Purple Heart award recipient.

Otherwise, hearing aids and eyeglasses are provided only in special circumstances, and not for normally occurring hearing or vision loss. For additional information, contact the Prosthetic Chief or Representative at the nearest VA health care facility or go to the web site: prosthetics.va.gov

The following groups of veterans are not charged medication copays:

veterans with a service-connected disability of 50 percent or more;

veterans receiving medication for service-connected conditions; veterans whose annual income does not exceed the maximum annual rate of the VA pension; veterans enrolled in Priority Group 6 who receive medication under their special authority; veterans receiving medication for conditions related to sexual trauma related to service on active duty; certain veterans receiving medication for treatment of cancer of the head or neck; veterans receiving medication for a VA-approved research project; and former POWs.

I deleted the entire post did not want to take any chances. When you are posting if you find something by browsing need to read the entire location cause you obviously posted the mother file and not the baby you wanted.

Thanks Pete,

It sure was the darnest thing I have ever seen, I was in browse, but I pick ONLY that one item out of it and it posted my whole MY Documents. Yea, it sure did post the Mother File..hahahahahahaha..but all is good now.

Thnaks again

Thanks Pete,

It sure was the darnest thing I have ever seen, I was in browse, but I pick ONLY that one item out of it and it posted my whole MY Documents. Yea, it sure did post the Mother File..hahahahahahaha..but all is good now.

Thnaks again

Just to lt you all know I have a email in to the VA asking the question why? I have left a phone message to both the Phoenix and Tucson VA advocates office's and yet to recieved any call back.

• HadIt.com Elder

dman001948,

Please keep us up to date when you hear anything back.

I have heard Vets say they have good luck with posting their questions to VA using IRIS. I havn't been one of them, but it might be another source to try.

Many of us have diabetes that may be related to Agent Orange including me. I didn't serve in Vietnam but know it was used on Naval Station Treasure Island, CA, along with bio-weapons & plutonium.

What you experience and share may help another vet.

Allan

dman001948,

Please keep us up to date when you hear anything back.

I have heard Vets say they have good luck with posting their questions to VA using IRIS. I havn't been one of them, but it might be another source to try.

Many of us have diabetes that may be related to Agent Orange including me. I didn't serve in Vietnam but know it was used on Naval Station Treasure Island, CA, along with bio-weapons & plutonium.

What you experience and share may help another vet.

Allan

I talk with the Tucson advocate yesterday and she told me that Phoenix and the Tucson VA are one of the very few VA's that DO NOT make it a practice of suppying Test Strips and Lancets to Vets with Type 2 diabetes. I believe it comes down to the dollar thing and the almighty dollar is worth more then a vets life. Its dealt with on a case by case basis they claim. But they told me that without even hearing my case( so - so much for that lie) So if a Vet that is seviced by the Phoenix or Tucson VA gets the strips and lancets with Type 2. Well, they are lucky people.

And does not matter if your service connected or not. 9 times out 10 the answer is NO.

I do have a email to iris been about 3 days now, no answer. (suppose to answer within 5 business days). I also just shot off a letter to Senator McCain (Our senator for AZ) I don't expect much from him taking in his voting record for the vets (90%) against us. He will never get my vote and I'm a Rep. I'm getting ready to shot another one to Senator Klye, he has a better voting records for the vets.

I know this will put a big ass flag on my VA records..but crap, deny a service connected vet his/her medical suppy's! Na, ani't falling for it, Its pure B.S.. I even mention to the advocate that I'm service connected for this condition (Type 2 through Agent Orange), didn't phase her a bit and just said it came down from above her pay grade.

Will let you know as I find out more.

I talk with the Tucson advocate yesterday and she told me that Phoenix and the Tucson VA are one of the very few VA's that DO NOT make it a practice of suppying Test Strips and Lancets to Vets with Type 2 diabetes. I believe it comes down to the dollar thing and the almighty dollar is worth more then a vets life. Its dealt with on a case by case basis they claim. But they told me that without even hearing my case( so - so much for that lie) So if a Vet that is seviced by the Phoenix or Tucson VA gets the strips and lancets with Type 2. Well, they are lucky people.

And does not matter if your service connected or not. 9 times out 10 the answer is NO.

I do have a email to iris been about 3 days now, no answer. (suppose to answer within 5 business days). I also just shot off a letter to Senator McCain (Our senator for AZ) I don't expect much from him taking in his voting record for the vets (90%) against us. He will never get my vote and I'm a Rep. I'm getting ready to shot another one to Senator Klye, he has a better voting records for the vets.

I know this will put a big ass flag on my VA records..but crap, deny a service connected vet his/her medical suppy's! Na, ani't falling for it, Its pure B.S.. I even mention to the advocate that I'm service connected for this condition (Type 2 through Agent Orange), didn't phase her a bit and just said it came down from above her pay grade.

Will let you know as I find out more.

Well, nothing from McCain yet and don't expect one. But the IRIS did answer me and you know what? They contacted the Phoenix VA and ask them!!! DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I wrote IRIS back and explain to them the answer they gave is the one I already know and that I want to know where it states that I can't have these supplies. I am service connected for this condition and all service connections are suppose to be cover, so show me where I'm not.

No answer yet and more then likely won't get one...Such is live...