Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On Pain Meds

Rate this question

Renegade

Question

I am 58 years old, and a Vietnam vet with 16 years of military service. I suffered several injuries including being in a vehicle that was hit by a mortar in Vietnam. My body is a mess. I have had my back broke in three places, I have a titanium plate in my neck, a knee blew out during a repel, and on and on. I have arthritis in nearly every joint, and some days I do well to get out of bed, but by the grace of God, I do. Over the years I have been on nearly every medication for pain on the books. From the light stuff in the beginning to Percs, Morphine, Methadone, and Fentanyl patches.

The bottom line is, the one pain med that I come to depend on the most was plain on hydrocodone. It has worked, and it doesn't make me drowsy like methadone and morphine. It doesn't make me unbearable to live with and mess with my urinary track like Percs, and it doesn't make a blooming vegetable out of me like Morphine. Now I have been on hydros, or Vicodin if you prefer for nearly 8 years, and they just aren't doing the job they used to. I have been on Vicodin 10-500s, and I take (8) of them a day, and on occasion another if I am really bad off. Which puts me over the limit on Tylenol, and my liver isn't that great from all the Tylenol I have taken.

I just found out today from the pharmacist at the VA hospital where I go, that all this time my doctors could have been prescribing me Vicodin 10-325s, which would have been 1400 mgs less of Tylenol a day that I would have been putting in my system, and to say the least I am not happen about that. At the same time, no doctor has ever offered me any other med for breakthrough pain, because everything in the VA formulary other than Morphine, and that class of drugs have Tylenol in them, and I was getting my limit on (8) 10-500s a day So knowing this I never ask for any, but something has to give. As I get older, the more aches and pains I have on top of the pain I have from all of my injuries.

I talked to a real nice pharmacist at the VA hospital and explained my situation to her. She suggested that I ask to be put on the 10-325s, and for them to give me a couple more a day for breakthrough pain. That would be 10-10s a day, but the amount of Tylenol would still be less than what I am taking now, which is 4000 mgs of Tylenol taking (8) 10-500s, and would only be 3250mgs taking (10) 10-325s.

My question to all of you is, are any of you on such a pain med regiment, or do any of you have a better solution to the problem?

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Amen to that John999, when people run that addiction bull crap about my morphine thats just how I feel. Years ago I did attempt suicide because I couldn't take the changes to my body and the CHRONIC PAIN WAS SO SEVERE AND NO ONE WOULD LISTEN. They treated me like I was drug seeking. Well that was then I am alive and no longer suicidal although I do think about death. My morphine actually works for me. Cant take Ibuprofen because of the GI side effects and I have IBS to top it off and cant take tylenol and or anything that has tylenol in it because I have had stomach ulcers which bled after taking tylenol. I love my morphine. I also have had to take diluaded on some occasions from the ER and that just zapped my pain for a few days I was actually pain free during that time but stayed in a euphoria at the same time. I know I would never get a perscription for that. Any who I would always like someone posted below to always be sure to check your liver few times a year taking tylenol or any type for long term for your chronic pain. If I was you I would have a sit down with my provider and share your concerns as well as make your request for whatever medication you would like to switch too. Prior to doing so I would have researched the medication you would like to be perscribed and explain to your doc why you feel it's a better choice for you. You are your best advocate when it comes to your care, help them to help you.

I had the same problem to a esser fegee and was switched just by asking from Hydrocodone 5-750 to 10-325. Who would have figured its up to the patient to know what they need?

That is the sad truth about today's medical care, in a lot of places, and very much so within the VA system. Having been a medic in the service for a while, I got to know a lot about the medical field, and what I see in the medical system of the VA is a lot of inadequacy, negligence and corner cutting. I have said that I believe that they VA would just as soon see us dead as alive, otherwise how is it that so many vets, in so many states, in so many VA hospitals have been exposed to so many terrible diseases through negligence, and corner cutting, been given meds that caused terrible reactions, and and allowed unqualified doctors, and nurses to kill veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

I just don't get it. Most of us with severe pain are not working do not have jobs that impairment would endanger society why in the hell can't a Vet in chronic pain use a med that works even if it causes addiction.

According to most of the new Docs I am addicted to xanax the best med I have to fight off panic attacks. The VA has prescribed 4 mgs a day except for a 1 month try on klonopin which did not work for me. If I did not take it I would be in a dark room never going anywhere or seeing anyone.

I am sick of Veterans getting the short stick on so many things that would improve our lifes.

While inht he hospital for 6 months I had a diluaded pump. because the nurses had to give me a shot every hour.. and I tgot to control my intake, (of course it is programmed so I could not go beyond the programming..

I then went bavck to a morphine pump as the diluaded is probably the closest thing available to the best pain relief short of death or coma.. but it also can make you feel totally wacked out of your mind.. and not needed if the regualr morphine does the job..

I went back to immediate and long term relief morphine went I got out, (I have been taking morphine for 10 years, and before then everything else..

I hurt all over. and during a pancreas attack the morphine does not help as much I would hope..

My whole bady is wretched in pain,, many years ago I was tagged with Fibromylgia.. but al my musclles hurt, my back riddled in disease and the intestines and pancrease diseased..

for many, many years, all food and drink made me very sick and in severe pain..

I tried telling doctors about the food and drink making me sick and I was treated like I had some nutjob disease where you hate food.. I love food.. it made me very sick though..

I had lost the ability to eat and drink.. my intestine shut down, I was tube fed.. for 6 months.. I lost 60 lbs, and I wasn't fat.. and am about 5'9".I lost the ability to walk and shake badly..

I lost the ability to taste and smell..

I got the ability to eat, drink and taste food, and can walk again too

I went to the mental health doctors to gain some sanity back..

When I went to that C&P for Neuro the other day, the docotr had no clue.. my guess is either they think everyone is out to scam them, or he never bothered to read my files..

he must have been shcoked (not only when he asked me to walk around on my toes,, when I fell.. and shook all over..

but when / if he opened my files he probably freaked out when he saw the truckloads of of medical records..

I have some of my records and they take up a couple file cabinets, and that isn't al of them..

my illness has been raging since the 1980's.

I find it crazy and inulting for a doctor to ask me to come in, sit down, and they haven't even read any of my medical history and ask how I am doing. as if I am going to say great, I am here to dance..

crazy world...

heartless, cruel, insane uncaring indifferent, uncaring, no clue..

I suspect if some of these doctors had to deal with only a smal part of what I have bene through they would have killed themselves..

:blink:

• HadIt.com Elder

When I have to see a new idiot pain management doctor at the VA the first thing they do is say that I have been on narcotic pain killers too long. Well, the VA prescribed these drugs for me for years and now it is too much according to the same group of doctors. I think they feel political pressure because some people abuse and sell prescription medications, so we are suspects and have to suffer. I am now on fentanly patch I guess because I can't shoot it, or snort it, or smoke it, and nobody wants to buy it. It has given me minimal relief so far. I agree that if we are not P&T who cares if we are addicted to meds. We are not going anywhere. Why can't our lives at least be comfortable in our disabled condition until we kick the bucket. I don't need a lecture from some 25 year old resident about the morality of drug addiction. Isn't it there job to relieve suffering. I thought that was part of their oath.

I am 50% SC for severe, prostrating migraines but can't even get my pain meds from the VA. Isn't that a good one? I have been on various narcotic painkillers for 27 years. I have been prescribed 120 Dilaudid 8mg and 120 Tylenol #4 monthly for the last 3 years by my private doctor. I asked the VA for Dilaudid and they looked at me like I was nuts and said no way. What a joke. Does anyone out there get Dilaudid from the VA?