Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Would The Benefit Be?

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

I was just awarded P&T due to individual unemployability effective Feb of 09. I was recently denied hypertension and ED. The ED was denied because the RO said there was no link to it to my SC disabilities, although I was claiming it as secondary to medication. I was given a sleep study by the VA back in November of 09 and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. My setting for my C-Pap is 15. I held off on filing a claim for the OSA due to not wanting to slow down my claim for ED and HTN. I was on abilify which caused me to gain 70 pounds which I believed caused my sleep apnea and my primary care doc has said as much; at least it was a contributing factor. My question is now that I'm P&T should I let sleeping dogs lie or should I file notice of disageement for the ED and start a new claim for OSA? What benefit would I have to file these claims? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

/doc

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I was just awarded P&T due to individual unemployability effective Feb of 09. I was recently denied hypertension and ED. The ED was denied because the RO said there was no link to it to my SC disabilities, although I was claiming it as secondary to medication. I was given a sleep study by the VA back in November of 09 and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. My setting for my C-Pap is 15. I held off on filing a claim for the OSA due to not wanting to slow down my claim for ED and HTN. I was on abilify which caused me to gain 70 pounds which I believed caused my sleep apnea and my primary care doc has said as much; at least it was a contributing factor. My question is now that I'm P&T should I let sleeping dogs lie or should I file notice of disageement for the ED and start a new claim for OSA? What benefit would I have to file these claims? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

/doc

Just because you are 100% and P&t doesn't mean you cannot file for other things. I recommend you ask your psychiatrist if they will provide a nexus to connect the weight gain to th OSA. I say psychiatrist because they are the ones who prescribed the med and should have knowledge of the side effects. The ED can also be caused by several psych meds as well, and you might want to use that avenue to connect your ED.

JMO,

Bergie

Just because you are 100% and P&t doesn't mean you cannot file for other things. I recommend you ask your psychiatrist if they will provide a nexus to connect the weight gain to th OSA. I say psychiatrist because they are the ones who prescribed the med and should have knowledge of the side effects. The ED can also be caused by several psych meds as well, and you might want to use that avenue to connect your ED.

JMO,

Bergie

I guess I'm wondering if I file a claim for say OSA ,would I then be subject to C&P's for all of my service connected disabilities all over again?

I guess I'm wondering if I file a claim for say OSA ,would I then be subject to C&P's for all of my service connected disabilities all over again?

P&T does not mean they will never again do a C&P exam. It only means that they don't have any plans to conduct future exams, that they don't think your injuries will get better. They can decide to do it at their will. You should not worry that filing additional claims will cause them to "retaliate" and schedule a C&P exam.

JMO,

Bergie

It's a possibility.

Not sure what your service connected disabilities are but sleep apnea and hypertension can cause a stroke, heart attack and even death. Not sure if you can claim these as secondary to your already service connected conditions or directly service connected but either way you will need a doctor's statement (nexus) saying they are caused by or a result of your service connected conditions or that they are directly related to your military service.