Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Would The Benefit Be?

Rate this question

navydoc2

Question

I was just awarded P&T due to individual unemployability effective Feb of 09. I was recently denied hypertension and ED. The ED was denied because the RO said there was no link to it to my SC disabilities, although I was claiming it as secondary to medication. I was given a sleep study by the VA back in November of 09 and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. My setting for my C-Pap is 15. I held off on filing a claim for the OSA due to not wanting to slow down my claim for ED and HTN. I was on abilify which caused me to gain 70 pounds which I believed caused my sleep apnea and my primary care doc has said as much; at least it was a contributing factor. My question is now that I'm P&T should I let sleeping dogs lie or should I file notice of disageement for the ED and start a new claim for OSA? What benefit would I have to file these claims? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

/doc

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Filing another claim will not force your existing claim to be reevaluated. I filed for apnea last year and I have been 100% T&P for PTSD since 2001. My PTSD never got questioned, but the VA did deny my apnea claim. I will appeal it within the next few months.

As a previous poster added, if you are already 100%, you can still get Housebound if you can get to 160%, so go for it.

Not sure what your service connected disabilities are but sleep apnea and hypertension can cause a stroke, heart attack and even death. Not sure if you can claim these as secondary to your already service connected conditions or directly service connected but either way you will need a doctor's statement (nexus) saying they are caused by or a result of your service connected conditions or that they are directly related to your military service.

I do have hypertension and a pacemaker, I was denied s/c for hypertension in June. I will have to pay out of pocket for an IMO that says otherwise, don't have the money right now. I know the dangers of sleep apnea thats why I'm trying to get it service connected. I'm hoping they won't need an exam for the sleep apnea since its the VA that diagnosed me back in November. Thanks to all for your comments.

/doc

Edited by navydoc2

Doc, if you don't mind telling, what are your service connected disabilities? Is there a chance that you can file a claim secondary to one of them?

Edited by pacmanx1

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Doc, if you don't mind telling, what are your service connected disabilities? Is there a chance that you can file a claim secondary to one of them?

I don't mind at all. I'm service connected for Depression 70%, left knee 10%, tinnitis 10% totalling 80%. As I said before I was denied ED and hypertension back in June. I'll file a NOD for the ED this week and file a new claim for the sleep apnea based on the weight gain from psych meds. We'll see how it goes.

Edited by navydoc2