Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression

Rate this question

Medic4849

Question

hello fellow brothers and sisters. I have a question that my local DAV did not know for sure

I am service connected for PTSD but it is also obvious that i have major depression as well, with suicidial ideation, which i learned is a plan to carry out the action of hurting self

sometimes I feelthat is the only way to be free and happy but I am seeking help. I ask for prayer in these times of need, i should have beeen finding faith as my paramount mission but have failed that department.

any how I was told by a fellow veteran that I should file for increase or or file for MDD especially after being admitted to VA for the condition.

what should I do the stress alone makes me think not filing for it but then again with days being missed from work between being depressed having headaches I just dont know what i should file for in the first place

please any thoughts at all would be helpful to me,

thanks again brothers.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Here's the thing, because you are service connected for PTSD, VA will not service connect you for Major Depression, it would be pyramiding and they can not do that. So what you can do is ask for an increase for your service connected PTSD. If your PTSD is causing you to have thoughts of suicide and your psychiatrist states that your PTSD is worst, VA can increase your service connection PTSD. All mental health disorders follows the same rating requirements, so you do not need to file a new claim for MDD because it will be denied but you can and should file a claim for increase of PTSD. You also can file a claim for headaches.

Hope this Helps

Edited by pacmanx1

• HadIt.com Elder

Yup, what Pete just said.

What is your GAF score?

SI (suicidal ideation) is, of course, serious. SI with a PLAN is NOT GOOD. SI with a plan would normally get you around a 70%, along with a concomittant psychological disorder (such as PTSD).

just sayin..................................

"I am service connected for PTSD but it is also obvious that i have major depression as well, with suicidial ideation, which i learned is a plan to carry out the action of hurting self"

Suicidal ideation is a common medical term for thoughts about suicide, which may be as detailed as a formulated plan, without the suicidal act itself. Although most people who undergo suicidal ideation do not commit suicide, some go on to make suicide attempts.[1] The range of suicidal ideation varies greatly from fleeting to detailed planning, role playing and unsuccessful attempts, which may be deliberately constructed to fail or be discovered, or may be fully intended to succeed.

If you are having plans of carring it out you need to get help immediately.

I will find out what GAF score means and if I have one will post it, thoughts have been in my head for a while I had eliminated the violent ones and would not do it in the home because of not wanting my children to see it the best one that has been most tempting was the pad lock heavy chain and a cooler to act as the float ythen just float with it into the middle of the ohio and flip the cooler and sink, they have started me on increased medications now and I need to go to SATC weekly .the chain has been disposed of today or turned in for disposal at the request of my VA pyshatrist.that and i have toll free numbers to call and talk and I am supposed to go to the nearest er if bad thoughts begin to creep back in my mind.

Thank you guys.