Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Please, Please Help

Rate this question

livingrock21

Question

I got my BVA letter date stamped the 24th of June. I have a partial grant of 60% for the erythromelalgia, and a remand for my IU. Both were sent to the AMC. The partial grant was done on the 29th of june, but has been waiting authorization ever since. I really need this extra money a month and back pay. By VA definition, I'm homeless. I do currently have a roof over my head, but am living with family and cannot afford rent anywhere as of this moment. Once the 60% takes effect for that condition, and I see this backpay, I'll be able to. I'm going through a seperation due to all this.

Anyway. Does anyone have any idea of when I might actually see this money? Should I file hardship expidition, maybe then they'll finally give me that final authorization signature. I also read about a fast letter pertaining to this kind of situation. How would I utilize that? Any other ideas or thoughts would greatly be appreciated. I'm desperate at this point. I cant afford to live right now.

Also, as far as the IU is concerened their showing it as complete, and awaiting authorization. They show it complete in their system since the 29th of June. For some reason, I just dont see that as being possible. They didn't do an exam, which the BVA wanted. I guess it's possible though since I've had an exam within the last 6 months. What are your thoughts on this.

I want to thank everyone in advance for any help you can bring me. All thoughts and input are welcome. Like I said, I'm desperate at this point.

Thanks again,

Tyler

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You might want to do an IRIS inquiry...........there is no set time limit on getting backpay and coming from the BVA, it could take some time to get through the system.

Who was your POA on this claim?

Lets say the award is LARGE. It has to have additional signatures. If its REAL LARGE award, it has to go to Central Office. Let hope its the latter.

Whip copy of this VA Fast letter off to the AMC (get proof of mailing) and send it to the VARO as well and ask them for "expedited" processing of the partial award they owe you.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/10/nf10/nfjan10/jan10files/FL10-002.pdf

Try not to worry to much, that's just the way the VA operates...I've been waitin 40 years to get this organization to do things the correct way......You will get it it just takes time.....Sorry........

Everyone,

I want to thank you for your quick replies. I only wish I could have gotten back on here sooner.

JR,

My POA is the VFW. Which I've been talking about changing forever, to the DAV, but havent as of yet. The VFW at my VARO just seems so understaffed. He not only works at the VARO, but another office 50 miles away from the VARO which is actually another 50 miles away from me. I'm pretty sure he's the only representative they have there too. They have like 3 secrataries, and him. Everytime I'm chatted with the DAV at my VARO they seem like they really have their stuff together. We also have county representatives here in PA, but I'm not sure what to think about them. My county was actually the county rep that was investigated about a year back for asking for too much personal information(I dont think they ever proved he was misusing the information). That was also about 5 or 6 reps ago. Which leads to another reason why I'm kind of hesitant on going there for help, their representatives seem like they only ever last about 6-9 months.

Sharon,

I believe I'm looking at about $16,000. The partial grant has been awaiting final authorization since the 29th of June. The part that I dont understand is everytime I talk to anyone at the 1800 number, their saying that the REMANDED issua of IU is also awaiting authorization. If this is true, then the retro could be a very large check, such as about $70,000. I just dont see them being done with the Remand though. The BVA requested and examination be done, and I haven't even been scheduled for one. Could it be possible that they decided the evidence is overwhelming, and they didn't need an examination since I just had one within the last 6 months? I don't know, I'm not sure. This part kind of has me baffled.

oldJoe,

I cant ever seem to get my VSO on the phone. I always get his secretary which says she'll leave a message for him to call me back and I dont hear anything. The last time I talked to him, I called 4 days in a row, and on the 4th day I explained that this is the 4th day that I had been trying to talk to Mr. _____. I then demanded to talk to him, whether he was with a client or not.

Panamavet,

As per your first post, I understand the claims process is lengthy. I'm going on 4 years with this claim. I've made it through the BVA. Got a partial grant and a remand. The part that's super frustrating to me right now is the fact that it's in final authorization awaiting one signature, and it's been there for the past 47 days (it's been in the final authorization stage for 47 days), I know it's been waiting for a single signature for atleast the past two weeks.

Berta,

Would I send that fast letter to my regional office, or the AMC that's handling both the remand and the partial grant. It's funny becuase on the last page of the BVA letter it said everything would be handled expiditiously. What a joke. Also, I truely am homeless(as I said, by VA terms, I have a roof over my head but it's not stable and could be kicked out at any moment of any day. I'm truely going through financial hardship right now, robbing peter to pay paul, and then turning around and paying peter with pauls money. Should I write a letter of hardship expidition as well? I figure if I have both these letters it might actually draw some sympathy to my case, and maybe they'll actually finish it. I could def be wrong though, and would love your opinions.

RSG,

I haven't been dealing with them that long, and hope I dont have to fight them that long. I'm def understanding how they operate at this point though. They have one speed, slow. The design to only have that one speed wasn't to keep errors from occuring either, it was just added for humor to the upper chain of command at the VA.

To all,

If I did nothing. At this point, does anyone have a guestimation on when I would possibly see his money? Also, there are other claims that I've been holding off on filing. I wanted to get these all taken care of before I did that, so it didn't slow everything down(ha lol). Back to the point though, I've heard of "express claims", or "completed claims", or something like that. The veteran has to sign a paper saying that they have, and are turning all evidence in, and the VARO guarantees the claim will be completed within 90days. I've also heard of other similar programs, like same day C&P exam decisions under the same pretenses(veteran says all evidence has been filled), there are a couple other pilot programs going on out there. How do I find out what program my VA office is doing? If I could get a hold of my VSO, he'd probably have some insight to this, but I cant ever get a hold of him.

Sorry this is so long everyone. I just wanted to make sure I got everyones question/statements answered. I appreciate all the help so far, and greatly appreciate all the help(opinions/suggestions) I'm getting here. All is welcome. Thank you for your time.

Thanks again,

Tyler

P.S., It wont take me nearly as long to check for replies this time. I'll be on the computer pretty much all day today. So I'll be able to respond quickly.

"Berta,

Would I send that fast letter to my regional office, or the AMC that's handling both the remand and the partial grant. It's funny becuase on the last page of the BVA letter it said everything would be handled expiditiously. What a joke. Also, I truely am homeless(as I said, by VA terms, I have a roof over my head but it's not stable and could be kicked out at any moment of any day. I'm truely going through financial hardship right now, robbing peter to pay paul, and then turning around and paying peter with pauls money. Should I write a letter of hardship expidition as well? I figure if I have both these letters it might actually draw some sympathy to my case, and maybe they'll actually finish it. I could def be wrong though, and would love your opinions."

I would send the Fast letter to your VARO and to the AMC, Put on a cover letter with it and on the envelopes Attention to: and put the initials that appear in right hand corner of any recent VA mail you received as this is athe initials of the person who is working on your claim.

If you feel yo qualify for Hardship expeditious treatment-we might have info available here under a search for how to prepare that request.

I would send copy of the Fast Letter and cover letter etc- to this VAROs director as well- if you tell me what VARO I might have some contact info for their director or VSRs.