Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Can Anyone Explain This?onon

Guest frank

Question

Guest frank

ON MY DISCHARGS PAPERS IN 1948-1956 medical records state I have hyperensive disease leukocyuria cardiovaculria proteinria report for additional this was found in my records I got in 2002 also statment from exam I never had states .the same report.DOES anyone know what this is and if I die from IT what would tva put down of what I died for? now this is a cue because I don;t have anything wrong with my heart so va would have to pay something for this because whatever it is i don;t have .HOWEVER as it is listed I think I should open a clam OR JUST keep QUITE about so my family could collect on this as it is a error va must pay for this.WHAT is the best thing to do? and let me know this disease is? all this was found in my file;

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

11 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Frank

I think I would file a claim. Make sure you have an autopsey done on your body when you die. If you die from heart disease then and are hypertensive I think your family would have an easier time showing death from SC condition and get DIC. I don't know if this is CUE.

This is my first post, I have lurked for a while...but I hope I can give some help.

What you had listed may have been single diagnosis’s, I don't know how in depth they did exams back in the 40-50's. I know reading my grandfather's discharge papers from WW II was difficult, misspellings, etc. Medical terminology is even trickier. I worked for a doctor for several years and recently have gone back to school to work in either a medical or business setting. Things in the medical setting is always changing and I had been out of the field for 10 years, because we got reassigned and my husband was deployed or TDY all the time and I had small children, it wasn't worth working to just pay for daycare.

What I can pick up from what you provided, I think they may have been listing multiple diagnosis’s or symptoms you had upon discharge.

hyperensive disease : I think they may have meant hypertension. But that could be a broad statement, you may not have had hypertension at the time you where discharged, but may have had an elevated B/P when you had your physical. Some people get what they call "White Coat Hypertension", their B/P can be normal at any other time, but when they see a doctor it shoots up. The only way to really diagnosis hypertension is to have constant readings of elevated blood pressure.

leukocyuria: (leukocyturia)white blood cells in the urine

proteinria: (proteinuria) protein in the urine

(note: you can have leukocyturia and proteinuria with a UTI, but they look more into the Protein in the urine for kidney problems...there are additional tests they can run, but I don't know if they where available back then)

cardiovaculria: This one is a little more tricky....The only thing I can come up with that they where trying to say was cardiovascular.

People with kidney disease can have problems with proteinuria and leukocyturia, among other things. Individuals who have diabetes are usually treated for hypertension, even if it is borderline, to help protect the kidneys. From what I can decipher from what you listed is that they where saying you had kidney disease, which if you had, could cause hypertension. But after all these years I would think you would know if you had it or not.

I am not a doctor, but I have had to deal with medical terminology for a while. I can believe that a VA doctor just said what it said on your discharge, but I am surprised they didn't give you any compensation....I should restate that, I can imagine!! B) I have done research on my husband's disability claim....still doing the waiting game on our appeal. They are denying what he was retired from the Air Force for, even though I submitted them documentation and even a case that went to the Veteran's Court of Appeals that was won for the same thing my husband has...(I know you are not suppose to do that, but I thought it might get through some dim wits mind that this was an actual condition)...BTW, when my husband had his VA exam, they never did a cardiac workup which I indicated in the appeal, but they keep saying what he has is a symptom, not a diagnosis...funny, there is a diagnosis code for it...but the Air Force found it enough to be the main reason to retire him for it. He has only been retired for almost three years and we have spent many hours in the ER or in the hospital because of his condition.

I don't know if the VA would open a disability claim after all this time, unless you can document that you had ongoing conditions that could be connected to what was on your discharge papers.

You may want to have your regular doctor take a look at what you have and he/she may be able to advise you better on what they may have been trying to say and look at your past medical history.

Guest frank

This is my first post, I have lurked for a while...but I hope I can give some help.

What you had listed may have been single diagnosis’s, I don't know how in depth they did exams back in the 40-50's. I know reading my grandfather's discharge papers from WW II was difficult, misspellings, etc. Medical terminology is even trickier. I worked for a doctor for several years and recently have gone back to school to work in either a medical or business setting. Things in the medical setting is always changing and I had been out of the field for 10 years, because we got reassigned and my husband was deployed or TDY all the time and I had small children, it wasn't worth working to just pay for daycare.

What I can pick up from what you provided, I think they may have been listing multiple diagnosis’s or symptoms you had upon discharge.

hyperensive disease : I think they may have meant hypertension. But that could be a broad statement, you may not have had hypertension at the time you where discharged, but may have had an elevated B/P when you had your physical. Some people get what they call "White Coat Hypertension", their B/P can be normal at any other time, but when they see a doctor it shoots up. The only way to really diagnosis hypertension is to have constant readings of elevated blood pressure.

leukocyuria: (leukocyturia)white blood cells in the urine

proteinria: (proteinuria) protein in the urine

(note: you can have leukocyturia and proteinuria with a UTI, but they look more into the Protein in the urine for kidney problems...there are additional tests they can run, but I don't know if they where available back then)

cardiovaculria: This one is a little more tricky....The only thing I can come up with that they where trying to say was cardiovascular.

People with kidney disease can have problems with proteinuria and leukocyturia, among other things. Individuals who have diabetes are usually treated for hypertension, even if it is borderline, to help protect the kidneys. From what I can decipher from what you listed is that they where saying you had kidney disease, which if you had, could cause hypertension. But after all these years I would think you would know if you had it or not.

I am not a doctor, but I have had to deal with medical terminology for a while. I can believe that a VA doctor just said what it said on your discharge, but I am surprised they didn't give you any compensation....I should restate that, I can imagine!! B) I have done research on my husband's disability claim....still doing the waiting game on our appeal. They are denying what he was retired from the Air Force for, even though I submitted them documentation and even a case that went to the Veteran's Court of Appeals that was won for the same thing my husband has...(I know you are not suppose to do that, but I thought it might get through some dim wits mind that this was an actual condition)...BTW, when my husband had his VA exam, they never did a cardiac workup which I indicated in the appeal, but they keep saying what he has is a symptom, not a diagnosis...funny, there is a diagnosis code for it...but the Air Force found it enough to be the main reason to retire him for it. He has only been retired for almost three years and we have spent many hours in the ER or in the hospital because of his condition.

I don't know if the VA would open a disability claim after all this time, unless you can document that you had ongoing conditions that could be connected to what was on your discharge papers.

You may want to have your regular doctor take a look at what you have and he/she may be able to advise you better on what they may have been trying to say and look at your past medical history.

[/quote thany you for this information this only came to light in 2002. va always stated no records found. in

I was in hospital in JAPAN 5 months no redical records were found in file for why i was there. joined navy 52-56 this is where my condition is in medical records from navy. in 1994 a rating dicision was made for me 11-4-93 raiding states reopen claim - I did so in 1978 va wrote back NO RECORDS FOUND rading states I applied for penson in 93 va states I cannot have penson because I make to much money 23;000 per year ; however I am an on ssd on 1991 for a service connedted shoulder socket puller out the night we sunk bthe the hobson i applier fo unemployed to va that i am denied.I don not use va doctors and I have no heart problem I have a checkup yearly I have no medical that va states .HOWEVER VA must stand behine the error for they cannot change this and if i die from these problems va will have to pay for the paper trail they left behine this was done to all ww2 veterans medical records were NEVER burnted in fire. pe

Frank- what current disabilities do you have ? Do you get SC compensation for them?

I assume you never filed a claim on these old conditions.

If no claim was ever filed and denied it is not a CUE claim basis-

"HOWEVER as it is listed I think I should open a clam OR JUST keep QUITE about so my family could collect on this as it is a error va must pay for this.WHAT is the best thing to do? and let me know this disease is? all this was found in my file;"

Even if they made an error that is not what DIC is dependent on.

It sounds like- since there is a C & P record of an exam you never got- that the VA has two sets of vets records mixed up.

If you have these conditions presently I would open a claim if I were you and attach copy of (and refer to in claim) of the Discharge certificate.

For EOD MOMMY and Frank

"HOWEVER VA must stand behine the error for they cannot change this and if i die from these problems va will have to pay for the paper trail they left behine this was done to all ww2 veterans medical records were NEVER burnted in fire. pe"

VA will only pay DIC for service connected death with medical evidence that the death was due to service,or if the vet was "in receipt of" or "entitled to receive" VA SC compensation for at least ten years prior to death. (38 USC 1318)(proven by medical evidence)

or under Section 1151 if VA caused the death of the veteran.

I feel the 'paper trail' is often up to us as claimants to acquire-or to somehow re-construct it by attempting to get buddy statements, proof of prior hospitalizations, etc- and

ALWAYS to attempt to get your records from NARA yourself if the VA says they dont have them.

Morning reports, Unit histories- these are often the things a vet needs to get- during their lifetime-

because there are many spouses who would not know where to look.

Guest frank
Frank- what current disabilities do you have ? Do you get SC compensation for them?

"HOWEVER as it is listed I think I should open a clam OR JUST keep QUITE about so my family could collect on this as it is a error va must pay for this.WHAT is the best thing to do? and let me know this disease is? all this was found in my file;"

It sounds like- since there is a C & P record of an exam you never got- that the VA has two sets of vets records mixed up.

If you have these conditions presently I would open a claim if I were you and attach copy of (and refer to in claim) of the Discharge certificate.

For EOD MOMMY and Frank

"HOWEVER VA must stand behine the error for they cannot change this and if i die from these problems va will have to pay for the paper trail they left behine this was done to all ww2 veterans medical records were NEVER burnted in fire. pe"

VA will only pay DIC for service connected death with medical evidence that the death was due to service,or if the vet was "in receipt of" or "entitled to receive" VA SC compensation for at least ten years prior to death. (38 USC 1318)(proven by medical evidence)

I feel the 'paper trail' is often up to us as claimants to acquire-or to somehow re-construct it by attempting to get buddy statements, proof of prior hospitalizations, etc- and

ALWAYS to attempt to get your records from NARA yourself if the VA says they dont have them.

Morning reports, Unit histories- these are often the things a vet needs to get- during their lifetime-

Guest frank

For EOD MOMMY and Frank

I want to add this to my prior post-

If a SC condition 'Contributes' to death or directly causes death, the death can be found service connected.

Example- real case -I think it was Harris V. Derwinski:

Vet died due to heart attack. The only SC comp he received was for hearing loss.

The widow proved that the veteran's NSC hearing problems made him inactive as it caused dizziness. He gained much weight and got no exercise and could not work due to dizziness.He developed heart disease which caused his death. The medical evidence supported the fact that the hearing loss and dizziness contributed to the veteran becoming heavy and not active, and getting heart disease and thus his hearing disability contributed to his death and the widow was awarded DIC.

Guest frank

thank you both for your exelcent avise. i did send a replay as soon as i read your message ;as i was writing my computer went down just got it back now TO the questions you asked about i only get ptsd 100% since 2003 I filed a claim in 1949 also wrote a letter i wanted to keep ins.I never got a answer but still have letter i wrote remenber we had no computers of fax so where ever that letter is lost .but in my file 2003 shows I am in hospital in japan for what i don;t know hospital records only state I the line of duty I was there 5 months.IN 1952-56 i am in the navy on uss wasp night it sunk the hopson on medical report from navy on smr states old lateral wall myocardial also states I have a unknow pinkish rash over my body. IN 1978 i try ot open a claim for hospital stay in 1948 va states no records found. I did not appeal this because va stated all my records were burnted in fire FOUND out this was not true because needed records were in file .I WANT TO STATE ALL INFORMATION WAS ONLY GIVEN TO ME IN 2002.FOUND in records is a approved claim for shoulder socket pulled out the night of sinking from heavy equipment we used to try to save the men in water.now back to raiding of 1994 -states re-open claim air-force 1946-49 request navy 52-56 others is checked fof include sgo. Develop radiation exposure m21-1 part 111 chapter 5.I had applied for a penson in 1994 I was denied because i made to much money 23000 a year. at that time i was on ssd since 1991 for unemployable for shoulder i put in a claim for shoulder only to be dinied however in va notes found in file I am raited for shoulder but va never lrts me know;then va sends me a letter in 1994 stating I am non service connected medical YET the va dr states i have this heart disease signs the paper my name is on the psper myss number anther thing I got a letter from insurance I can;y get insurance because i must be discharged AFTER 1951 I AM IN NAVY 52-56 I really can;y answer your question because i don;twhat or were or how anything is applied we are under appeal

Guest frank
I want to add this to my prior post-

If a SC condition 'Contributes' to death or directly causes death, the death can be found service connected.

Example- real case -I think it was Harris V. Derwinski:

Vet died due to heart attack. The only SC comp he received was for hearing loss.

The widow proved that the veteran's NSC hearing problems made him inactive as it caused dizziness. He gained much weight and got no exercise and could not work due to dizziness.He developed heart disease which caused his death. The medical evidence supported the fact that the hearing loss and dizziness contributed to the veteran becoming heavy and not active, and getting heart disease and thus his hearing disability contributed to his death and the widow was awarded DIC.

thank you please read the new reply i just wrote

I totally agree! I know I had my husband make two copies of his military medical records when he was retired, since the VA was going to have the original. Also the military has been known to doctor records. I made my husband keep a copy for years from an ER visit that was suppose to be for a dislocated shoulder and it was a seperated shoulder. The ER doctors did all this manipulation and couldn't get it back into it's socket, finally an orthopedic doctor who was working in another room came in and said that it should have been put back in place by now and asked what my husband's name was and looked at the x-ray and came in and said it was a sepearated shoulder not dislocated, so the ER doctors where making it worst. He documented it. I got a copy of that, because I knew of other people who had doctors who goofed up and somehow that page in their record would disappear or would be redone.

When the Air Force decided to medically retire my husband, I had him transferred from the base clinic to the doctor I see on Tricare (because I don't trust this base clinic, they can't even keep good doctors, the get here and try as hard as they can to get out) I trust my doctor more then I did the base doctors here. Since we have Tricare I have all his treaments paid for through it, instead of ChampVa or the VA clinic. He see's a civilian cardiologist who I have known for a while, we used him at the doctor I worked for. Now if the VA will recognize what the Air Force retired him for, they won't even give him service connectability on it, which is chronic angina (probably Coronary Syndrome X) Funny thing...well, not so funny....my husband can't get health insurance through his work because of his possible heart problem, but the VA says there isn't one. Good thing we have Tricare.

I agree, keep records of everything! Since we have entered the ago of computers, I seem to have more paper then I did before everything was computerized. B)

I need to get my husband to call the VA to see what the status of his appeal is, we haven't heard anything in a while and they won't talk to me. They will if he is here and says it is ok and I usually end up in arguments with the person on the phone, because they don't know anything.

thank you both for your exelcent avise. i did send a replay as soon as i read your message ;as i was writing my computer went down just got it back now TO the questions you asked about i only get ptsd 100% since 2003 I filed a claim in 1949 also wrote a letter i wanted to keep ins.I never got a answer but still have letter i wrote remenber we had no computers of fax so where ever that letter is lost .but in my file 2003 shows I am in hospital in japan for what i don;t know hospital records only state I the line of duty I was there 5 months.IN 1952-56 i am in the navy on uss wasp night it sunk the hopson on medical report from navy on smr states old lateral wall myocardial also states I have a unknow pinkish rash over my body. IN 1978 i try ot open a claim for hospital stay in 1948 va states no records found. I did not appeal this because va stated all my records were burnted in fire FOUND out this was not true because needed records were in file .I WANT TO STATE ALL INFORMATION WAS ONLY GIVEN TO ME IN 2002.FOUND in records is a approved claim for shoulder socket pulled out the night of sinking from heavy equipment we used to try to save the men in water.now back to raiding of 1994 -states re-open claim air-force 1946-49 request navy 52-56 others is checked fof include sgo. Develop radiation exposure m21-1 part 111 chapter 5.I had applied for a penson in 1994 I was denied because i made to much money 23000 a year. at that time i was on ssd since 1991 for unemployable for shoulder i put in a claim for shoulder only to be dinied however in va notes found in file I am raited for shoulder but va never lrts me know;then va sends me a letter in 1994 stating I am non service connected medical YET the va dr states i have this heart disease signs the paper my name is on the psper myss number anther thing I got a letter from insurance I can;y get insurance because i must be discharged AFTER 1951 I AM IN NAVY 52-56 I really can;y answer your question because i don;twhat or were or how anything is applied we are under appeal

You got a lot going on there. The myocardial statement could be evidence of a previous Myocardial infaction that was present at that time. If it was while you where on active duty and can prove it wasn't there before, I would think you would have a claim for disability for that.

I can relate with you on the radiation exposure issue. When my husband first applied they asked about past radiation and asbestos exposure. We where not looking for a rating for radiation exposure, but service connectability. My husband was in the bomb squad and did training on nukes and was exposed to radiation. They wanted the dosimeter readings. We don't have them, they are not kept in the medical records, each base keeps the records at the base public health. So we listed each base and Sandia National Laboratory, etc., for them to get the information. I don't know if we could even get the information if we wrote them. When I was working I did x-rays and I know what information they are looking for, and as far as we know he never had any badge reading of any exposure, but you never know what can happen, 20, 30, 50 years down the road with a little exposure. My husband couldn't even tell the doctor what he had been exposed to when we where going through infertility treatments, I don't have the clue of what sort of radioactive material he was exposed to. I know some of the training was top-secret, so who knows.

I need to send to NARA and see what records they have for him. Knowing my luck, all that information would be blacked out or not provided.. B)