Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will The Wonders Never Cease? New Old Rreport Appears

Rate this question

acesup

Question

I just received a copy of my C-file Friday. This is the 3rd copy I've gotten over the past 30+ years. I'm currently in the C&P cycle for a number of conditions including, for the third time, trying to get service connection for C-spine problems that I maintain arose from the same injury that caused my SC lumbar problem.

While sorting through it last night, I stumbled across a 1974 VA record that was not in either of my two previous copies; a report of L-1 compression fracture plus fracture of the L-1 process, revealed by X-ray examination.

The only paperwork I had before regarding compression fracture was a request from a rater to get an ortho opinion for compression fracture, and the ortho opinion letter that claims no compression fracture was present. The doc did not cite any X-ray or other medical/scientific evidence, only gave his opinion after examining me.

Why is this important? Because traumatic injury lumbar compression fracture can cause subsequent damage to thoracic and cervical spine segments. Such as, my thoracic scoliosis that was diagnosed in 1974. (And which would have been separately ratable up until 1993). Also, such as my thoracic and cervical spine DDD and related problems.

There are many medical studies that support the nexus between traumatic injury compression fracture and disability of the other segments. Now my mission will be to get a nexus opinion from an ortho doc or neurosurgeon who is not a VA employee.

With a little luck, once this is done I can get SC, and then appeal for an EED.

It still blows my mind that this record just now turns up. Wow. Strange.

Any opinions, advice, similar experiences?

Edited by acesup

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Any further valid information such as this, should be of importance in your endeavors for increases. Was this by a dr while you were active duty? Or within 1 yr of your discharge? When/how did you damage your spine? Do you have any other physician statements that diagnose or give referrence to a back injury/condition/spinal damage or such? What about medications, or therapy's or missing work because of this condition?

I just received a copy of my C-file Friday. This is the 3rd copy I've gotten over the past 30+ years. I'm currently in the C&P cycle for a number of conditions including, for the third time, trying to get service connection for C-spine problems that I maintain arose from the same injury that caused my SC lumbar problem.

While sorting through it last night, I stumbled across a 1974 VA record that was not in either of my two previous copies; a report of L-1 compression fracture plus fracture of the L-1 process, revealed by X-ray examination.

The only paperwork I had before regarding compression fracture was a request from a rater to get an ortho opinion for compression fracture, and the ortho opinion letter that claims no compression fracture was present. The doc did not cite any X-ray or other medical/scientific evidence, only gave his opinion after examining me.

Why is this important? Because traumatic injury lumbar compression fracture can cause subsequent damage to thoracic and cervical spine segments. Such as, my thoracic scoliosis that was diagnosed in 1974. (And which would have been separately ratable up until 1993). Also, such as my thoracic and cervical spine DDD and related problems.

There are many medical studies that support the nexus between traumatic injury compression fracture and disability of the other segments. Now my mission will be to get a nexus opinion from an ortho doc or neurosurgeon who is not a VA employee.

With a little luck, once this is done I can get SC, and then appeal for an EED.

It still blows my mind that this record just now turns up. Wow. Strange.

Any opinions, advice, similar experiences?

Sounds exactly what I been going thru! My c:file does'nt have my hospital record when I had a bad jump in 1976.(parachute jump). If I had it I could claim my entire back. What is it with our missing medical records from the 60's and 70's? It's GREAT to hear that it finally showed up! Good Luck on your EED! You deserve it!!!

!!!BROKEN ARROW!!!

I used to be in the business of duplication and printing. Anytime there is a request for something as large as many of our C-files there is ALWAYS the possibility of something being left out or as in cooter a full section. One of the things I noticed after getting my C-file was it was more or less in order BUT because the info in the file is from so many different sources and are not numbered there is a higher % of things being lost and know way of knowing what is of is not there.

When I would ever get a sizable document in to duplicate or print I always had to number the pages if the client had not so when they brought it in. This is the ONLY way to guarantee that everything is in order and there!

Of course the operator who usually isn't one of the higher paid staff if he/she screws up and also those that don't care just (shread or even ignore problems or yes throw in the waste basket.

One thing I would don't in both your cases is make your VSO's and the RO's aware of this in writing!

The report was from a VAMC hospital discharge form. I started getting sick a 2-3 weeks after I got out of the Air Force. I was hospitalized for Hep B (a going-away present from the USAF processing out physical or dental check) exactly one month after I separated. I spent 20 days in. During that time, according to this report "X-ray of his back showed an old compression fracture of L-1 and the possibility of fracture involving the transverse process of L-1".

My spine was injured in a stupid lifting accident; I was on the lower end of a big heavy steel desk that a couple of other Airmen and myself were moving down a stairway. One of them up top stumbled. The entire weight of the desk, and probably at least one of the airmen, was thrust suddenly onto me, and my back was immediately in pain. There are records of sick call visits for pain in all areas of the back from then on.

I did get SC for lumbar spine, it was absolutely the worst, but it seemed like since there were no broken or protruding bones noted at the time, everyone just ignored the rest of my spine problems. Also, the same medications and treatments that I received for my lumbar spine over the years actually helped with the pain and motion in the other segments.

If I get SC for C-spine, I'll be happy. As far as EED, I would take it if I got it, but wouldn't expect to win that argument without a fight. I'm not too sure it would be worthwhile to fight it too hard. I simply desire the rating I deserve for my neck.

If I get SC for C-spine, I'll be happy. As far as EED, I would take it if I got it, but wouldn't expect to win that argument without a fight. I'm not too sure it would be worthwhile to fight it too hard. I simply desire the rating I deserve for my neck.

acesup,

For sure, there will be no granting of an EED that would be dated prior to a claim being filed for your c-spine.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.