Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Please Tell Me What I Have To Do

Rate this question

hulamatt

Question

Basically i have two discharges in question here, upon graduating AIT i recieved an uncharacterized dd214, because i was coming off and going to a reserve unit...I got an OTH after deciding to go active duty, after AIT, I was insane at the time i went awol, but didnt bring anything up because i wanted to fight it and stay, in, no court martial...... I sent in the EZ form, no response, went to Jesse Brown VAMC in chicago, was told that my OTH discharge disqualified me from healthcare benefits....My disability that occurred during service is Paranoid Schizophrenia, but under the OTH discharge, and within a year of the Uncharacterized discharge, my question, how the hell can i go see the VA about this, would love to not have to pay for docs, meds etc......but most importantly, would like to have the option to stay at a VA mental health ward, when needed, as my insurance only covers 3 times a year...have a claim pending so i do not have service connection yet, even though it occurred during service

This is the response i recieved when i asked a question about my healthcare benefits at the VA site

Dear Mr. ,

Eligibility for most VA benefits is based upondischarge from active military service under other than dishonorableconditions. Active service means full-time service as a member of theArmy, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or as a commissionedofficer of the Public Health Service, the Environmental ServicesAdministration or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Dischargesthat are honorable, general or under honorable conditions qualify aveteran for most VA benefits. Dishonorable and bad conduct dischargesissued by general courts-martial are disqualifying.

Discharges that are not given under “honorable” conditions fall in three large categories.

Dishonorable Discharges

Uncharacterized Discharges

Other Than Honorable Discharges

Dishonorable Discharges

Wheredishonorable conditions exist, VA must deny benefits unless the veteranwas insane when he/she did the things that caused the dishonorabledischarge.

Uncharacterized Discharges

There are three types of uncharacterized discharges.

Entry Level Separation - These discharges are acceptable for most VA benefits.

Void Enlistment or Void Induction - These discharges must be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Dropped from the Rolls - VA has to review all of these discharges to determine if dishonorable conditions were involved.

Other Than Honorable Discharges

Ifyou were given a discharge from active military service under Otherthan Honorable (OTH) conditions or your discharge was upgraded from anOTH discharge, a VA Regional Office (VARO) review and decision will bemade before routine health care may be provided. You may make anapplication for VA health care by completing 10-10EZ and the VA MedicalCenter will forward the enrollment form along with a copy of yourdischarge to the VARO for an administrative decision. You will benotified by the VARO regarding their decision.

Mailed in form to two VAMC's as there are two close by me, never heard anything back from them, i guess i need to send another certified...

Care may be provided for SC or adjunct conditions for OTH character discharges if:

Injury or illness was in the line of duty. Initially diagnosed during OTH service

Injury or illness was not due to your own misconduct, and

Release from active duty was not for misconduct or a reason that would bar receipt of benefits (how to upgrade discharge).

Veterans who have multiple periods of service and at least one discharge is OTH: 3 periods of service, 1 honorable 1 uncharacterized, AIT and one OTH

Ifyou were discharged from active duty with a discharge of other thandishonorable and at a later date (re)enlist in a branch of the militarywhich ended with a discharge of “Other Than Honorable”, you areeligible for VA health care provided you meet the time in servicerequirement.

If you re-enlist without a break in service for twoor more enlistments and you receive an “Other than Honorable”discharge, you must submit a request to the Veterans BenefitsAdministration (VBA) Regional Office for an administrative decision todetermine if you are eligible for VA health care.

Regional Officemakes administrative decisions regarding your character of discharge.If you have further questions, you can contact Regional Office at1-800-827-1000.

Thank you for visiting our web site.

HRC Contact Representative

Topeka, KS

Clueless........

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

"Mailed in form to two VAMC's as there are two close by me, never heard anything back from them, i guess i need to send another certified..."

The VAMCs dont deal with these matters-

As the VA response say, you need to send this document to the VA Regional Office that has jurisdiction over your VAMC.

Dunno, if you answered this but..........Have you tried to get your discharge status changed on a revised DD214?

IMHO, this is what needs to happen in order to be seen or compensated by the VA!

Best of Luck!

B6

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Have you filed a VA Claim yet? If so, the Regional Office (VARO) will first need to adjudicate your Character of Discharge.

You can use the IRIS email system to verify your eligibility for VA Medical Care: Scroll down to see the section titled ASK QUESTIONS https://iris.va.gov/scripts/iris.cfg/php.exe/enduser/home.php

If you have not yet filed a Claim, consider using the VONAPP, but make sure you hard copy/print everything. http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/about_vonapp.asp