Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suspense Date

Rate this question

COOL BREEZE

Question

While checking the VA web site on my claim today, I noticed something strange. On the part where it says(way on the bottom-had to click to open it) it says what have we done-

vamc 678(my va facility) opened 9/03-2010- suspense date-11/2/2010. Normally the suspense date is when they close your claim, receive your decision. So does this mean they started looking at in on Friday and expect to be done by 11/02/2010, or they aren't going to doing anything until that date. Thanks

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Suspense date is often misunderstood it is merely a date that they VARO must review the claim to see where it is. It does not mean they have to do something just a check on status

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Suspense date is often misunderstood it is merely a date that they VARO must review the claim to see where it is. It does not mean they have to do something just a check on status

Thanks for that response. Does that mean it could be finished by then, and they put that date on it(as a tracking tool as it is getting old as it close to 1 year,) or they need more info from a 3rd party. Everything was done-all exams in May,ect. Normally when I checked past claims, that suspense date was the date the claim was closed, a rating decision was completed. My first thought was they weren't going to look at until November while waiting on more documentation. I saw a fridays date on it made me feel that finally it was being looked at-it was sent from rating back to development 1 month ago

• HadIt.com Elder

The suspense date is merely the next time they plan to look at your claim. Nothing more, nothing less. On that date they may check to see in the C&P results are in, check if medical records have arrived, etc. It's just the date they plan to look at your claim again. So between now and 11/2/10 you can relax. No need to check the mailbox or call VA because nothing is happening.

pr

The suspense date is merely the next time they plan to look at your claim. Nothing more, nothing less. On that date they may check to see in the C&P results are in, check if medical records have arrived, etc. It's just the date they plan to look at your claim again. So between now and 11/2/10 you can relax. No need to check the mailbox or call VA because nothing is happening.

pr

Thanks for the response. In this case all cap results are done(they were done in June), and all medical results were done and sent in as per e -benifits. What happened was this was at the rating board sent back to development, there were a couple of claims that needed more development, then the date of November was put in. So this means no one is going to be nothing on this claim-just going to sit there. This has been going on since last November

Thanks for the response. In this case all cap results are done(they were done in June), and all medical results were done and sent in as per e -benifits. What happened was this was at the rating board sent back to development, there were a couple of claims that needed more development, then the date of November was put in. So this means no one is going to be nothing on this claim-just going to sit there. This has been going on since last November

Unfortunately, this will continue to go on and the suspense dates will continue to change until your file gets to a rater and the rater reviews your claims and decides that they have enough evidence to complete them. It could be an award or a denial but my point is the suspense dates changes from time to time. Try to relax and hopefully VA has everything they need to award your claims.

Hope The Best

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Unfortunately, this will continue to go on and the suspense dates will continue to change until your file gets to a rater and the rater reviews your claims and decides that they have enough evidence to complete them. It could be an award or a denial but my point is the suspense dates changes from time to time. Try to relax and hopefully VA has everything they need to award your claims.

Hope The Best

Your response now makes me understand this more clearly. I thought that suspense was set in stone and was going to stay the same until November. I guess someone at the VA decided to throw a date at this claim as a tracking tool to lookout in case it hasn't been settled by November as it is starting to getting to get old.