Rate this question

stillhere

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, let's see --- if you ate nothing but fish and rice, plus a few veggies, it's likely that IHD would likely have not happened, A.O. or not.

BUT, if it happens with a normal diet (whatever that is) and you have been exposed to A.O., the chances that you may get IHD increase.

Another measure (not studied & proven to date) is that the precursors to IHD occur earlier in life, and increase more rapidly in severity when A.O. exposure is envolved.

Forensic exams of Korean war casualties disclosed a much higher rate of sub-acute (in otherwords not diagnosed) cardiovascular problems than was expected.

This was among quite young casualties typically in the twenties. It was once explained to me that the "clogs" come and go in young males.

Exposure to various strong insecticides and other "HAZMAT" substances was more common.

As you age, the ability to "get rid" of the clogs, or develop bypassing circulation diminishes greatly.

With a male patient In his forties, when CABG is done, the patent was/is often given drugs that stimulated the development of natural bi passes on the surface of the heart.

Over use of the drugs can infrequently produce a "forest" of small vessels that can cause other complications.

Akaka did have some valid concerns. The Doc that said 80-90% is caused by what we eat, and our habits, family history. Hard to refute that. It will still get passed and go into effect. I just think that group should have had hard evidence when it came to IHD, If they would have, this hearing would not have been had today.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you listened t Shinseki's testimony he explained it rather well. Presumptive s are a tool to make VA decisions more uniform and come faster. In order for the Secretary to make IHD a presumptive he used years of VA experience and 9 studies that all pointed to fact that exposure to Agent Orange caused Veterans to have it early.

Shinseki mentioned that 80% of Americans in their 60's have IHD but most not as bad as Veterans so its going to be presumptive and they plan to start granting claims quickly.

So it does not matter what you eat if you were exposed to Orange and you have IHD you will be granted Service Connection and rated. Shinseki, God Bless Him, said it is the right thing to do and most of his Medical advise told him to do it.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

My family has a history of heart problems but not usually until they're in their sixties and seventies, knowing this I watched what I ate as much as I good but still I had a heart attack at the age of 44, a week later I underwent a triple bypass, had blockages of 100/50/50.. I believe that my heart problem is a result of be exposed to AO while at Korat RTAFB in Thailand. It's a known fact that AO was used on the perimeters of the Thailand bases, the building I worked in was located close to the perimeter. At this time I have a claim in the system where I have submitted proof that I may have been exposed.

Am I taking this the wrong way? If I am, I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean.

I certainly intend no offense here, but - what are you saying, Tex? You think this is bogus and we all should have watched what we ate and exercised more? You think if we had done a better job of that we wouldn't be affected by Agent Orange? Which group are you referring to? The VA, Congress, IOM, or Vietnam Vets?

And, thanks for your service!

Take nothing but pictures Leave nothing but footprints

• HadIt.com Elder

For whatever it's worth-- This may very well be the pattern that is typical of those exposed to A.O. Sort of matches mine.

Differences-- Feet on ground, whole body exposure in rivers and inshore waters. 42 instead of 44. 5 bi-passes instead of three. Mixed family history

50-60s or not at all.

My family has a history of heart problems but not usually until they're in their sixties and seventies, knowing this I watched what I ate as much as I good but still I had a heart attack at the age of 44, a week later I underwent a triple bypass, had blockages of 100/50/50.. I believe that my heart problem is a result of be exposed to AO while at Korat RTAFB in Thailand. It's a known fact that AO was used on the perimeters of the Thailand bases, the building I worked in was located close to the perimeter. At this time I have a claim in the system where I have submitted proof that I may have been exposed.

Am I taking this the wrong way? If I am, I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean.

I certainly intend no offense here, but - what are you saying, Tex? You think this is bogus and we all should have watched what we ate and exercised more? I think that AO is not the only cause for IHD and that your lifestyle plays an important role in your heath. Yes you should watch what you eat and exercise if you can. There are to many variables to say that AO is the only cause. Dosage rates, number of days/weeks/months will affect the the outcome along with inhalation, contact, or ingestion.

You think if we had done a better job of that we wouldn't be affected by Agent Orange? Has nothing to do with doing a better job, exposure is exposure.

Which group are you referring to? The VA, Congress, IOM, or Vietnam Vets? ?

And, thanks for your service! Thanks you for your service as well.

We all know that as you get older, our bodies age as well. (my personal opinion only)=not everything is a result off or caused by service when somethings are just part of the aging process. The scientific evidence does not lie, it just gets skewed to meet a certain goal. I think it should be awarded like any other claim that we submit.

I am in know way trying to disrespect any vet by this reply and have the utmost respect for my fellow Vets that served before, during, and after I served. Just my opinion.