Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I Submit Gulf War Documents

Rate this question

okie143

Question

I first applied for disability in 1999 when I retired from the Army and was awarded 20%. I refilled again in 2004 and was moved up to 80% all SC. But was denied depression because, at the time, I could not show service connection.

In July 2010 I refilled again for PTSD and lower back. It was suggested I fill by two VA Psychologists who are treating me for severe PTSD and depression.

When I refilled I filled out the PTSD form and listed the stressors, dates, unit, etc., and described, as best I could, what I was experienced. However, I didn't submit any additional documents showing I was on orders for Kuwait.

I had my C&P mental exam and the psychologist said I had severe PTSD and depression. He asked questions for over a hour and 1/2 and listed my unit, dates, places, stressors, etc.

I am wondering if I should send copies of orders assigning me to Kuwait, awards for service in the Gulf War, and letters of appreciation from LTG Pagonis for service under his command. Or should I wait until after I get an answer back from the RO?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, submit it now. Just copies, not originals. Protect the originals, w/your life, if necessary. Why would you withhold favorable or probative evidence??

pr

I first applied for disability in 1999 when I retired from the Army and was awarded 20%. I refilled again in 2004 and was moved up to 80% all SC. But was denied depression because, at the time, I could not show service connection.

In July 2010 I refilled again for PTSD and lower back. It was suggested I fill by two VA Psychologists who are treating me for severe PTSD and depression.

When I refilled I filled out the PTSD form and listed the stressors, dates, unit, etc., and described, as best I could, what I was experienced. However, I didn't submit any additional documents showing I was on orders for Kuwait.

I had my C&P mental exam and the psychologist said I had severe PTSD and depression. He asked questions for over a hour and 1/2 and listed my unit, dates, places, stressors, etc.

I am wondering if I should send copies of orders assigning me to Kuwait, awards for service in the Gulf War, and letters of appreciation from LTG Pagonis for service under his command. Or should I wait until after I get an answer back from the RO?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you got any combat awards send copies. If you got a CAB or CIB that would seal the deal. If you were in combat arms unit or saw combat and can prove it that is your stressor right there.

Do you have all of your records/C-File Look and read them over and over. If you don't have them all, request them. Also get all of your copies of appointments you have had with the VA staff, and any other health/psych professionals you have seen/been treated by. Send your stuff(copies) of your evidence certified to your VARO. Make sure you get return receipt too! ALWAYS put in all of the verification/validation you have to prove you have your claim. Also did you not ever put in timely NOD with your previous denials? According to your posting here there seems to be lapses when you filed some then again refiled the same issues a few years later. The more valid information, the better your claim will reach a favorable outcome. Any awards received in the war may have been overlooked by the VARO(surprise-NOT) so send copies of these too.

Check your DD214, and if you have a DD215 too, look and see your awards, ribbons, and if you have citations send copies of these also.

Edited by halos2