Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Hadit Vso Assistance

Rate this question

chr49

Question

First off, my VSO's are with the TN DVA and I believe they have done their jobs properly. I'm trying to figure out how to keep the following situations from happening again.

Old issue: April 2010; submitted evidence thru my VSO in reply to a VARO request. The VARO said they never received it. I re-filed that evidence in August. A day or two afterwards, I received my c-file and found it contained the date stamped form VA-4138 and all records that my VSO had submitted for me in April. April's evidence was omitted from my July decision. Hopefully, the April evidence will be viewed as new evidence as I move forward in the process.

New issue: August 13th; submitted a NOD thru my VSO. On September 30th, I made an IRIS inquiry to verify the VARO was in receipt of my NOD. I received 2 IRIS replies stating the August 13th NOD was not (1) in my electronic file and was not (2) in my VARO c-file. The last reply advised that my VSO re-file the NOD. I continue to lose time with all of this re-filing.

Questions:

Is this a common problem?

If so, are there any recommendations to remedy this situation?

After my VSO re-files the NOD would it help if I personally send or fax the VARO a copy of NOD?

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give me.

CHR49

• Answers 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

A lot of veterans either hand carry their evidence to VA and get a date stamp or they mail it return signature receipt or express mail to get a signature to verify that VA has received it. This is in case you have to prove that VA had it in their possession.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• HadIt.com Elder

First off, my VSO's are with the TN DVA and I believe they have done their jobs properly. I'm trying to figure out how to keep the following situations from happening again.

Old issue: April 2010; submitted evidence thru my VSO in reply to a VARO request. The VARO said they never received it. I re-filed that evidence in August. A day or two afterwards, I received my c-file and found it contained the date stamped form VA-4138 and all records that my VSO had submitted for me in April. April's evidence was omitted from my July decision. Hopefully, the April evidence will be viewed as new evidence as I move forward in the process.

New issue: August 13th; submitted a NOD thru my VSO. On September 30th, I made an IRIS inquiry to verify the VARO was in receipt of my NOD. I received 2 IRIS replies stating the August 13th NOD was not (1) in my electronic file and was not (2) in my VARO c-file. The last reply advised that my VSO re-file the NOD. I continue to lose time with all of this re-filing.

Questions:

Is this a common problem?

If so, are there any recommendations to remedy this situation?

After my VSO re-files the NOD would it help if I personally send or fax the VARO a copy of NOD?

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give me.

ALWAYS, on every page of every form or statement, etc., PUT YOUR CLAIM NUMBER AT THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER, neatly.

I even had a rubber stamp made with my claim number on it.

Secondly, I always, whether sending in paperwork of my own, or one of my veterans that I represent, I FAX it and I mail it (return receipt requested). And, if I really, really want it there "before hell freezes over", I'll FAX it and FedEx it (could be the cheapest THING you EVER did, in the Lonnng Run).

just sayin..................

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

ALWAYS, on every page of every form or statement, etc., PUT YOUR CLAIM NUMBER AT THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER, neatly.

I even had a rubber stamp made with my claim number on it.

Secondly, I always, whether sending in paperwork of my own, or one of my veterans that I represent, I FAX it and I mail it (return receipt requested). And, if I really, really want it there "before hell freezes over", I'll FAX it and FedEx it (could be the cheapest THING you EVER did, in the Lonnng Run).

just sayin..................

That's good advice.

When I filed my initial claim in the 1990's, I trusted my county VSO to send in my documents. I was very quickly denied because they said I did not submit any supporting documentation. Later, they claim to have received only an empty cover jacket with my name on it. This cost me years and put me into the appeals track, because my VSO was lame. When I received my c-file earlier this year, I found all of my original submissions from my initial claim. They were ignored. Nice...

Now, I use the DAV. I prepare my documents and let them look everything over. They offer to submit my claims, but I do what Larry said (above). I have not had any missing documents in the last couple of years.

Also, when I make a submission, a couple of weeks later I usually receive a letter from the RO saying they received my documents.

Edited by Vync

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

The VA has been known to lose vital documents.I use certified return receipt for everything. Another method I have heard of is submitting

under a congress critter's letterhead & fax number.Make sure they mail & fax it and make sure it is a gentleman's agreement where you are using their name only for data submission.

Thanks to everybody for all of the helpful comments. To this point, there are only 2 suggestions that I haven't tried. I haven't faxed copies or hand delivered my paperwork to the VARO.

LarryJ, I've read your advice carefully and I've done quite well. Each and every page I submit has my full name, VA file # and 'refer to' information. I even stamped the back of each page of my IMO letter with my file number/name even though the information is stated on the cover page. All pages have been numbered and indexed.

Everything I've mailed has been certified, return receipt BUT I've mailed everything to my VSO and not directly to the VARO, which was what I was instructed to do. When the April file was misplaced, I re-sent all of the paperwork directly to the VARO certified, return receipt. I feel like I've done everything that can be done but I'm still having problems.

When I go see my VSO about this, I'm going to have him re-submit my NOD, then I will fax a copy directly to the VARO as soon as I get home. Hopefully that will make a difference. I don't know if I should also fax my new evidence along with the NOD or wait until I hear more from them. I'll see what my VSO advises on that and go from there. Then the waiting game will start again. I hope it goes thru the second time around.

Thanks again....

CHR49

That's good advice.

When I filed my initial claim in the 1990's, I trusted my county VSO to send in my documents. I was very quickly denied because they said I did not submit any supporting documentation. Later, they claim to have received only an empty cover jacket with my name on it. This cost me years and put me into the appeals track, because my VSO was lame. When I received my c-file earlier this year, I found all of my original submissions from my initial claim. They were ignored. Nice...

Now, I use the DAV. I prepare my documents and let them look everything over. They offer to submit my claims, but I do what Larry said (above). I have not had any missing documents in the last couple of years.

Also, when I make a submission, a couple of weeks later I usually receive a letter from the RO saying they received my documents.

Vync,

Sounds like you've been thru what I'm going thru. I believe I may need to do as you've done, present them to my VSO and let him do his thing, then fed ex or mail certified myself, instead of depending on somebody else. I'm beginning to think it's something between the DVA and the VARO. With my first claim, I disagreed on a minor item and did it myself without any issues at all. I also like the idea of faxing the NOD when it is mailed.

Thanks again.

CHR49