Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Type 2 Diabetes

Rate this question

Gridsmasher11

Question

Haven't been around in a while..Still lurk sometimes.......In May of this year my blood glucose was around 96 (normal)...Then my VA Psyche raised some of my meds and I started eating more carbs.....Last week she noticed I had lost a lot of weight quickly so while doing a blood test to see about adding on a med she did a fasting Glucose....My sugar is totally out of whack....I am diagnosed now by the VA as a Diabetic...............Can I claim this since the meds caused it???? Does Diabetes tie into Gulf War illness or my pending claim for PTSD...Any responses will be appreciated...

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

"I am diagnosed now by the VA as a Diabetic...............Can I claim this since the meds caused it?"

Yes, this can be claimed under Section 1151, 38 USC and/or under claim for secondary SC if these are meds for a SC condition.

Was the med Zyprexa?

There are many lawsuits due to Zyprexa as causing diabetes mellitus.

I dont know if any of those lawsuits are from veterans.

Did the doctor document that the diabetes came directly from the med?

http://www.zyprexaclassaction.com/

http://www.youhaverights.com/dangerous-drugs/zyprexa/

http://www.coreynahman.com/atypical-antipsychotic-lawsuits.html

Other meds that could possibly cause diabetes:

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/d/diabetes/medic.htm

• HadIt.com Elder

You want to speak to your doctor about the meds that are causing the DMII. The thing is to stop the process if possible. If the drugs have damaged you that is a different matter. That would be horrible and you should claim everything as Berta says. Is this a condition that will stop if you stop taking the drugs or is it a permanent damage to your organs?

Berta, the drugs in question are Mirtizapine and Venlafaxine ..My Psyche from VA increased my Venlafaxine to the max prescribable while giving me Mirtizapine to help with my sleep and depression.......I had read that this combinition causes very bad munchies.....In my case it was extreme dry mouth and a never ending thirst...I went from 1 soda every month or so to 3 or 4 every day plus a LOT of water.......The research I have done says that both of them can cause weight gain and mirtazapine has been linked with Sudden Onset Diabetes........................On the other hand my Psyche has not admitted that the drugs could have caused this......I am also taking Prazosin for nightmares and Tramadol as needed and Gabapentin ... This all came about in about a 3 month period...I had gained some weight this summer and then I lost over 40 lbs in 2 months without trying...But the increased dry mouth and thirst started when the Venlafaxine was maxed out in conbinaton with the Mirtizapine...................This is all new to me..The diagnosis of Diabetes only came last Friday, The fasting Blood Glucose was 300 compared to 96 in May of this year......................Thanks, Grid

• HadIt.com Elder

You will have to get a doctor to say your drugs have caused the DMII. The VA won't admit that. I have taken some of those drugs myself. The mirtizapine put me to sleep for days. I threw it out. The neuronton is anti-seizure medication. Do you have nerve pain?

John, she prescribed it to help control pain...I have constant pain in my knee's and wrists...Also have bouts of pain where all my joints hurt...These have got to the point that when they happen I am not going to make it to work......Over the last 3 months I have missed a lot of work as a result of the joint pain, my insomnia or the inability to function from the mirtizapine...Have used up all my vacation and sick days...........I am going to see if I can get a second eval about this from a civie doc.....Thanks for the input...grid