VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dd 214 And Combat Action Ribbons

Rate this question

Rob m

Question

Looking over my DD214 under section 13 "Decorations, Medals, Badges ect.."

I have listed South West Asia Sevice Medal with 1 sevice star, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal and Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.

My question is, do these qualify as combat action medals??

I plan on filing a PTSD claim and I read if you have a Combat action medal it helps the case.

Thanks

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

rob,

To my knowledge the,

"West Asia Sevice Medal with 1 sevice star, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal and Global War on Terrorism Service Medal"

do not count anything extra to show a stressor combat occurrence for PTSD.

But I feel your claims should fall under the new relaxed standards for PTSD.

Other's will chime in.

• HadIt.com Elder

As far as I know the CAB is a separate award for those who are not in infantry units (CIB) who engage in combat with the enemy. CAR is for Marines only I think. You should google CAB and see what you find. It is combat action badge.

• HadIt.com Elder

it is my understanding to qualify for the CAB you have to actually engage in an action against the enemy not just be in the hazardous duty area things like taking down doors searching the villages, IEDs etc but with the new rules dated 13 July 2010 almost anyone in a hazardous duty area that felt fear of losing their life etc should have an easier time getting a PTSD claim thru the system I am not holding my breath on this as I expect the VARO's are still not going to be passing out comp checks like candy on Halloween they will find a way to make it difficult to get a PTSD claim adjudicated I hope I am proven wrong but I don't think the new rules are going to change anything

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA can stop making PTSD DX'es which would put a crimp in getting sc'ed for it. Adjustment disorder will make a comeback. If just being in a combat zone is good for a PTSD claim then every living vet of WWII, Korea,Vietnam, and the Gulf wars could make a claim.

Looking over my DD214 under section 13 "Decorations, Medals, Badges ect.."

I have listed South West Asia Sevice Medal with 1 sevice star, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal and Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.

My question is, do these qualify as combat action medals??

I plan on filing a PTSD claim and I read if you have a Combat action medal it helps the case.

Thanks

Under the new rules the GWT does count .

You need to look up awards for the US Air Force. The CIB and CAB are Army awards. I don't know if the Air Force even has a specific combat award. The CAR, Combat Action Ribbon is awarded to Marines and Sailors the rank of Capt (Marines) and below if I remember correctly.

It has strict guidelines for being awarded. When we went in in 1991 there were stories of Marines from the rear doing everything they could to get close enough to the front to rate a CAR. I know for a fact that my C.O., a Major, was awarded a Bronze Star because he wasn't eligible for a CAR even though he was right at the front with us (we were a "reinforced" company and therefore had a Major as C.O. instead of a Captain).

The first thing is to be diagnosed as far as I went though. If you have it then getting treatment is more important then getting cash. They will backdate... wait, SHOULD backdate the claim to the date you got treatment started.