Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing Claims

Rate this question

COOL BREEZE

Question

I went through 2 VSo's and that result turned out less than satisfactory. The filing of claims not received, claims filed incorrectly, and claims for disability that I never filed for left the burden on my shoulder to file these claims myself. I used some of the ideas here, actually most of them and a few of my own to file these claims. I called the 800% today to find out the status of the reconsideration of my cardio-missing information. The rep with an terrible attitude said what do you expect by sending all this information in repeatedly, they don't know what to do with this, and it may take a year or more to sort through this material.(should have asked for her supervisor to file a complaint) I thought when you do a reconsideration, it doesn't take very long. All the faxes, overnight mail has left a ton of material that they have to sort through. Someone has to go through all my NODS, new claims, reconsideration separately as it is all together. They don't sort these when received and put into the appropriate category The VSO material just arrived on top of all of this, this is an extreme mess. Told to file one claim at a time, wait for a letter to come from the VA. I haven't received 1 letter from the VA for one single letter since filed. My thinking is that all this material will go through the regular process as a new claim-1 year or so until the VA starts going through these statements and sort them to the appeal process. I sent everything in at once, mail and fax, plus the VSO has their incorrect claims sent on top of this mess. Sending in duplicate material will hold up your appeals considerably. This gives them much more material to go through. Better to send in the material once, wait 1-2 months then find out what is going on. I did do an IRIS the other day to see what have they received. So the bottom line, I believe I really screwed up all my claims, and really have no one to blame this time.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Just got through reading every ones posts. I thank everyone for their feedback. I thought when you file a reconsideration it took 1-2 months. Thats what you can get for thinking positively. The VA really doesn't care what you file, they will get to after they sort through the 35,000 claims(or was it 135,000) ahead of me. Like the attitude gal said this morning, do you think you are the only Vet filing a claim? After they get to all the other claims ahead of you, you will get a letter stating what they need from you. All claims sit and collect dust until a clerk pulls your lucky #.(kinda like playing the lotto) And only then will they play shuffle board with your claims till they get it to the right dept or level. So, I'll just get a stack of the latest 1000 page novels, take a fishing trip, perhaps take a cruise and see what the mail man brings.

Cool,

Did you revoke your POA from the VSO ?

No, I didn't. I went and got advice from a different VSO,same office-(they only work 1 day a week, I went on a different day) who submitted everything himself. Told me that the other VSO was incorrect for telling me to file one claim at a time. Also one of these VSO filed a claim for Osteomyelitis, not for artherosclerotic disease. Something like this happened when I did my previous claims, I did it myself but the VA still listed this organization as my VSO. I know that you need a VSO if you have any appeals, but this is getting my nerves upset. Now to top it off I have severe cervical pain, nerve damage , migraine headaches, and waiting for a MRI from tri-care which still hasn't approved. Should I walk in and tell these VSO I am revoking your services, or do as I have done, refiled everything correctly and use them if i have an appeal meeting? There is now a ton of files submitted repeatedly on these claims from faxes, overnights, letters just now arriving from the DVA, or being inputted late. 800# said they will have to sort through all of this someday, after I wait my turn. And of course the letter for reconsideration is there, however it will be opened as a regular claim using the original date filed . Thanks

I know that you need a VSO if you have any appeals, but this is getting my nerves upset.

You only need to use a VSO if you are not doing your research and filing on your own

and are not confident in doing these things yourself. Being in the appeal process is irrelevant

in my opinion unless you are heading to the CAVC, then I suggest a lawyer or law firm.

Should I walk in and tell these VSO I am revoking your services,

Do it in writing to the VSO and the VBA.

JMHO

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

My two cents is some Vso's are great and some are not worth a rat's butt. You are your best advocate for your claim. I work my claims myself and check in with My Legion rep as needed. It has worked ok for me so far.

I called the 800# today and the lady told me to find another VSo and have them straighten out this mess. Nods with incorrect disabilities listed, NODs put on same form, others listed separately. No idea where the 3 copies submitted by fax and certified went. Stated All appeals may have been put under one new claim that could take up to 120 days under development. She asked if I wanted the number for a few other organizations. She submitted an inquiry on my behalf to try to sort this out. She did state I should wait until I received a letter, then I can ask to have a de novo review. The only thing I was interested in was where did they put my notice of reconsideration. is it listed under a new claim, or is under the appeal listed in e-benifits, or is it in file 13. Once I know it is where it should be then I can have peace of mind. Perhaps I was under a big hurry to get this done. I should have fed them a little bit at a time . Sending this cluster back to them was too much for them to handle.