Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Impressed With Va Doctor

Rate this question

COOL BREEZE

Question

I went in for a routine appointment today and I was really impressed.(and I am a very hard person to please) I didn't see the regular doctor-soon as they asked the question how are you feeling today - gave them the 9 for pain scale-a different doctor showed up quickly-one that was doing urgent care appointments. Explained that I was in terrible pain from my neck-radiating all over entire body-nerve damage possible. The tricare still hasn't approved the MRI. She ordered complete xrays-neck and entire back, not just the neck(the base doctor said we aren't going to worry about the back pain, that is hard to treat and most of the time that doesn't work). They only did 2 xrays, the VA took 15. Also prescribed pain medicine which the base never did,(imagine, going without a prescription for pain) and all the labs- and a MRI. Also she gave me an emergency follow-up appt. for next tuesday to see how I was doing.Normally those take a month or so(or does that have to do with being 50%) The VA doesn't have to wait for an approval for any test. And an $11.50 cash travel pay for each appointment. Also appointment for a surgeon. Plus that dreaded shock test for nerves(ouch) Doctor said you aren't getting out of this test. My wife said you better watch out, they are gonna kill you. Well, if they do obviously you well be quite rich. Since I can't get treated by the military properly, I am counting on the VA. I haven't had them treat me for anything major yet. The only bad thing is the doctor said based on my symptoms it could be surgery-just wait. This will be their opportunity to redeem themselves for past terrible experiences. Other than VA compensation exams, and a pill for foot pain thats it. I made sure I submitted a request for copies of all exam results and the doctors write up. This is something that I do for each visit. I never post anything positive, so this is a first . I am hoping for a good out come as this also was an issue that was left at 0% for the last rating decision

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If you have Tricare you don't have to depend on the base hospital do you? Military base hospitals are like the VA only worse.

I live in Tucson, they used to have a hospital at Davis Monthan AFB years ago. They converted it to a a base clinic. Most retirees wind up getting a referral to go out in town to a speciality doctor. They do have an xray room, but when the hospital closes, no more MRI. And now a days, they seldom accept any new enrollees that are retired-mainly cater to active duty, just a few retirees. I was given an out clinic in town as my new clinic a few years ago when they ran short of doctors. They screwed me over, and wound up giving me a new doctor on base-takes 2-3 weeks for an appointment. Otherwise they will send me to an urgent care clinic if nothing is available if it is important-pay a 12.00 co-payment. So I have a lot of choices, they basically assign you the clinic whether on base of off. If you want your own they have a POI-very high co-payments ect, if you want to see your own doctor-clinic. As well as co-payments for everything done their. The clinic that I go to on base, no co-payments for visit or medicine. Now that I am 50%, there is none either at the VA hospital. However they have assigned me to a clinic that is 10 miles from the main clinic that really is just a satellite clinic. No pharmacy, and fewer personnel to man the labs. And you don't want an appointment on certain days of the week, no xray tech available-so that will mean another trip to the hospital.

I have a wonderful pcp in my community clinic who has treated me greatly and allows me walk ins when my condition flares up and pills won't kill my suffering. He supports vets and has very good credentials.His letter is the main reason I got a Bva remand and new c&p exam. After 3 surgeons opinions it was unneeded but the nurse practitioner accepted thier opinion and gave me a good honest c&p. I don't like my Va ortho doctor at all or their opinion of inadequate pain control so I can use my private insurance as a backup.

Just told the military that I would be treated by the VA for my neck pain. I went to the tricare care online site and downloaded the authorization for the MRI which just got approved. Now I want a copy of the reading without going to the base after informing them. I wasn't expecting a 2 week wait. Wonder if I should do this, make an appointment-isn't 2 mri a over kill. The VA doctor said who ever gives you the MRI 1st. I know a 2nd opinion is good. The way this would work, get the MRI, make another appointment for the base doctor, if another referral is needed, wait for that and so on and so forth. This is a very long process. Or wait and see what the VA comes up with, and if they recommend surgery, then start that process. Can't see having 2 MRI in the same week or so, I believe this should be spread out. Appreciate any feedback-Have another appointment with urgent care with the VA on tuesday.

I wish my name was COOL BREEZE. the closest name to my experience has been Firey Hell

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg

I wish my name was COOL BREEZE. the closest name to my experience has been Firey Hell

I am really sorry to hear that. Been thinking of changing my name to something more relevent to my current situation. I do hope your health gets better. I am trying to get proper medical care for my current situation and get properly diagnosed. Imagine a foot doctor giving me an medication for NP when that isn't her specialty . The doctor gave me pain meds, told me to stop taking that until properly treated to know where that is coming from ect.