Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod Versus Request For Increase

Rate this question

Cm Burns

Question

I went to the local dav office today and was told that I should try to get new evidence and send in for an increase request instead of doing a NOD. He said the nod will take much longer than this process and i can do the nod later. I am not sure if this is smart or not. I asked him if I would keep my previous activation date. He did not get me a clear answer but said that I can always file the nod later. Please advise me of the right thing to do. Thnx in advance for your assistance as always.

1 Confused Soldier/Vet

Claim 1 & 2 /w pension Filed 10/23/2009 CnPs- Dec Phase 10/1/2010 Notification 10/12/2010 Closed 10/15/2010

Claim 3 Filed June 23,10 CNPs- Jan 2011 Dec Phase- Mar 2011 Notification- May 2011 Closed My 2011 (CLAIM DENIED)

Claim 4 Filed June 13,11 cnps-Na Dec Phase- Aug 2011 Notification- ...

Voc Rehab Claim Filed July 2011 Orientation-17 Aug 2011 Found Entitled- 17 Aug 2011 Classes paid- 19 Aug 2011 First Stipen Check- ...

***Under Ga VARO from 2009 - Until Present***

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you drop your NOD you lose your effective date. You can get new evidence and ask for reconsideration. You want to keep your earliest effective date. You have one year to file your NOD regardless of anything else you do. I think your VSO was not telling you about losing the earlier date because he knows you will lose it if you do as he says. I don't understand your DAV guy's logic.

Are you sure he was not saying send in your new evidence and ask for a reconsideration? As John says that is the best way you, keep your date and you could get it corrected in a couple of months. I have done this before and actually got mine increased in less than a month.

Ok i will and I am very positive he said dont do the nod that is what i went to him for and had my document already typed up. He said they take to long and to do the new claim increase with new evidence. So you guys are saying that info is bogus and just go ahead and file my nod then.

Claim 1 & 2 /w pension Filed 10/23/2009 CnPs- Dec Phase 10/1/2010 Notification 10/12/2010 Closed 10/15/2010

Claim 3 Filed June 23,10 CNPs- Jan 2011 Dec Phase- Mar 2011 Notification- May 2011 Closed My 2011 (CLAIM DENIED)

Claim 4 Filed June 13,11 cnps-Na Dec Phase- Aug 2011 Notification- ...

Voc Rehab Claim Filed July 2011 Orientation-17 Aug 2011 Found Entitled- 17 Aug 2011 Classes paid- 19 Aug 2011 First Stipen Check- ...

***Under Ga VARO from 2009 - Until Present***