Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Ssdi

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

I am rated 50% for PTSD by the VA back to 2008. I recently (July 20th) applied for SSDI and yesterday I got a call from them and they asked if I would agree to be examined by one of their doctors for my PTSD. I agreed because I have nothing to hide but I do question why this is being done?

Anyone have this happen to them too?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

SSDI is usually a hell of a lot faster than VA about making decisions. After you have SSDI for two years you can get medicare.

OK hearing test out of the way a couple of hours ago. The examiner doing the testing stated afterward that I was entitled to disability based on my test! I also showed him my 5 or six tests over the years one, from Galludete in 1983 and a couple just last year from VA and a private audiologist and his test was in the same general area.

He also mentioned that the SSA has changed the way they test for hearing disability now. Before they used to require with and without hearing aids and now they just require testing without.

He was going to fax in the results today so that I hope will finish me up with this and they can grant my disability payments.

I still find it odd that they even needed these last two test mental/hearing when they are all part of my VA medical files?? Oh well all is done now.

Quick question on how payments will work. I was forced to resign in April of this year and filed my claim on the 20TH of July. Will they retro me to April or July?

Thanks all and glad this mess is hopefully over for now!

Merry Christmas! and Happy Holidays to all!!!

Stillhere,

You have to remember that for SSDI, you only start getting paid for the 6th month after the effective award date.

Edited by Bonzai

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)

Right but I still am confused. If I filed in July but was out of work since April which would they use as the award date?

If I am getting you right and they use April as the award date my retro would go back 3 months?

If they use July it could be only 1 month.

Is that what you mean?

It just all depends on the effective date they decide on.

"It is a terrible thing, when you lose your train of thought and you only have a one track mind"... Me

96C2P/96F2P (old MOS designations)

97E2P/37F2P (new MOS designations)