Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Difficulty Getting Military Personnel Records

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

Difficulty getting military personnel records.

Many years ago, I ordered copies from the:

National Personnel Records Center in St. lois, Mo. and they sent me some.

My VSO asked me to get new copies and handed me an official form, which I filled out asking for all my personnel records Sever weeks later I got an envelope with ONLY copies of my DD214, and more forms telling me I had to request the rest by mail, or fax! WTF are those a-holes doing?? I asked for them all and them make us request them again?

So, I logged into their website (which is on their forms) :

http://www.archives....ervice-records/

why the hell don't those clowns honor a request by sending the requested info the first time around instead of making us wait several weeks for the mail, only to find they will not send the info until you make a second request??

Now I have to wait weeks longer to get something I asked for one month ago using their official forms.. I wish ther was someone that would answer for their being stupid and making our lives more difficult..

Sorry for the rant, but I am in a constant state of bewilderment and anger trying to work with the dumbasses who run these agencies. If I had only wanted copiesof DD214 (which I definetly don't need, I have more than enough) I would have said please just send me those,, but I asked for all the frakkin personnel records

The claims people obvilously can't read job descriptions so I have to find as many personnel records that I can find showing my job duties.

I did have some copies showing some performance reports, but must have given them to my last VSO, or they are so far buried in other papers Even those records did not show much and only showed partial glmpses into like quartely job updates... they did not show each chemical I worked with...

I think the people working for the VA are oblivious to other people and walk around with their heads up their asses... (that's my experience).

When I ask for some info I expect the info not the $$$#@ run-around..

sorry, but ...

anyone else have problems getting these dumbasses to release complete records? as per requested..

Edited by retiredat44

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I do not know what you did but I have never had a problem getting the 201 file (personnel file). Get an SF 180 put down that you are requesting the 201 file (it has a place to check on their) then send a copy of your DD214 with it. FAX to 314-801-9195 taken me about 20 to 30 days and I have them. Your medical records are in your "C" file at the VA and you can request to see your C file and then go to the bottom of the file in the middle and in a white envelope there are your medical files from date of enlistment to discharge, ask them and they will copy what you need. Good luck.

I received what I assumed was my personnel files rather quickly and but not that much there, my medical were being stored from an early denial in 84.

When did you serve? Not sure why in hell they would send you a note to ask again?? I am like you WTF!

Edited by stillhere

• HadIt.com Elder

"I think the people working for the VA are oblivious to other people and walk around with their heads up their asses... (that's my experience).

When I ask for some info I expect the info not the $$$#@ run-around.."

1. The folks at the National Personel Record Center in St. Louis are not VA employees. The NPRC is part of the NARA (National Archives and Records Administration).

2. The reason that they send only a few records to start with is that they have been mandated to NOT send everything first time around. They did a study and they are sending you what 80% of the requesters actually need, according to their "efficiency experts". Then, if you do not get what you REALLY needed, then you have to request AGAIN, ALL of your records, and, just maybe, you'll get them.

3. I know, it sucks. I deal with them on an on-going basis, at least three times a week.

What you are dealing with is not so bad.............what is bad is when you send a claim to the VA (this is a personal claim of MINE, for ME) and they send you a denial letter LISTING ABSOLUTELY NONE, NADA, NOTHING that they based their decision on. NO evidence that I sent in, no VA records that I told them about..................NOTHING. Just a denial. It flabbergasts me, and I don't even know where to start...........start ALL OVER AGAIN, I guess!

Bull shit!

Veterans do not and I emphasize do not know that your Veterans Administration Records are yours and that you can go to the VA and sit there and look through the complete file. Your claims are in there, the investigative reports they use are in there, medical files they have requested from medical sources are there, and even your medical records from induction to discharge are there. You are entitled to read ALL OF IT. You can request any part of that "C" file be copied. Your decisions are in there and the conclusions that the VA came to regarding your claim. Most of the time your 201 personnel records are not there but they can be obtained easily. I mentioned that in an earlier post. As a service officer I find that veterans get frustrated (justifibly so sometimes) and start yelling instead of seeking a solution. Go to the VA and ask to see your "C" file and then work from there. I think that most of the time we just did not submit the right information or did not follow protocol, although I have know the VA to screw things up. I have NOD's over a year old and cannot get answer one from them. Sit and wait and die in the meantime. You fellows know what I mean. Good luck.

I don't need any medical records, it's the personnel records they are making it very hard to get.. I specifically said personnel records in my requests to the records center... my VSO wants more copies of personnel records.. I had a copy I had from 10 years ago, but it got buried somewhere,, and besides, it wasn't very complete anyways,, not very detailed,, just said I was hard working, blah blah blah....

My Medical Records

and for the record, I have always used the official request forms (handed to me by the people at the VA Regional Office), and was guided by the people working at the Va on what to send in and how to fill the forms out...

Edited by retiredat44