Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Here And Not Sure What To Do

Rate this question

bandit22

Question

Hello, I'm not sure where to start. I am currently going to the VA for Chronic Depression and Anxiety. I have been out of the Army since 2006 and its been a constant struggle ever since. After suffering for 2 years I finally went to the VA for help 2008. I was pretty much called a liar and told nothing was really wrong with me. They gave me some depression medicine and sent me on my way. I was very disgruntle about the way my visit went and decided I could handle this on my own. Well now it's 2011 and I recently went back to the VA for help after spending the last 3 years steadily worsening. I have not been able to keep a job or be productive in society at all. My depression and anxiety has gotten to the point that its hard for me to even go outside or be apart of society. I hate driving and evening riding with someone is hard (I was in logistics while in Iraq). I just have no idea what I am suppose to do. Im so lost and can not take feeling and being this way. Thanks for any type of advice and help. Feel free to ask any questions

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Have you formally filed a compensation claim?

Is the documented diagnosis Chronic Depression and Anxiety and has any doctor mentioned possible PTSD?

Is there anything in your SMRs to establish a nexus (link) to your present condition?

Have you read the new PTSD regulations in our PTSD forum?

They might apply to you.

Have you considered going to a Vet Center? You might find it is worth the trip.The comradery of being with other vets might help you and you certainly wouldn't feel alone with these problems.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

bandit22,

Welcome to Hadit.com

The Vet Centers sure are good.

http://www.vetcenter.va.gov/

Also, you might want to pay a visit to one of the people

at your VAMC that specialize in dealing with OIF/OEF veterans.

Each VAMC has people especially for OIF/OEF.

http://www.oefoif.va.gov/index.asp

Also try here:

http://iava.org/

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

You write you are currently going to the VA for Chronic Depression and Anxiety. Why don't you find what area the VSO's(Veterans service officers) are located? You NEED TO PUT IN YOUR CLAIM ASAP! This will determine your original date of claim. Therefore when and if you receive an award it will retro(go back to) this date. Also when you see/talk/visit with this individual he/she will have all the forms you need to fill out, and also authorizing them to be your POA to assist you with your claim. You can also get the forms fill them out and not choose this person as your POA. Forms are online too so that is an option.

But my theory is you are already there I presume at a VAMC, and for ease and availability you can get this all done at one time. This person (VSO) will also have all addresses for you to request you Military Records/Service Medical/Treatment Records, basically the whole kit and kaboodle where you can search what is documented in these records which would be evidence of these illiness's occurance in the military or the stressor's occurring in the military.

Any former "buddies" in service who can write a letter stating they saw there type of behaviors(only a Physician, or Psychiatrist or Psychologist D)r can give the actual DIAGNOSIS. Or pershpa a family member can write a letter on your behavior prior to and after your return from Iraq too. Like you seem moody and avoid contact with people and want to sleep alot or argue with others, or have said things like it would be better if I were not here anymore, or I hate people and I never want to see or talk with some...what ever fits you symptoms.

So you have treatment now, get papers filed for claim, request records, find witnesses, if available, get copies from any/all people hospital/clinics you have received treatment/counseling/therapy you need to request these under the FOIA(Freedom of Information Act), and continue with your therapy.

You can do a lot of these things on your own but I want to make sure these get done ASAP.

Some people use a VSO and some don't at first too, but with you really not knowing how to file, IMHO a VSO would at least be a faster start for you. Also you can go it alone any time you want to. Doesn't mean you need to stay with them.

I feel with them having all the forms the timing offered here would be somewhat faster. BTW if you choose a VSO YOU will find you still have to do an abundance of work on your claim as they represent hundredths if not more clients too.

Here at Hadit you will find much assistance from Veterans, Dependents, Veterans Advocates too. Good luck on this journey, and continue to seek out the help you need and keep us posted on your successes. FILE ASAP to establish your date.(You can also write a letter to your VARO saying you are filling a claim for disabilities incurred in=service and this is your notification letter, This will also establish your date, and the VARO will send you out the forms(which you can down load off net) and release of information to clinics. dr's etc who have evaluated you/treated you over these years.

Act now!! Anyway you choose but ASAP route!:smile:

• In Memoriam

You are doing just fine, for starting out on Hadit...

You might find a hadit member from your state that you could talk with from time to time...What state are you from?????

I am with Carlie the "Vets Center", nearest you, can be very helpfull for you...There is someone there to talk to when you need them...

Hang-in there.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

What Vet Center are you currently going to for Chronic Depression and Anxiety? How long have you been going to this vet center? They have not/ever tried to hook you up with any further help there either?