VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pay

Rate this question

vet2010

Question

Can someone explain to me the following, I am rated at 100% from the VA my question is how will this affect my retirement pay from the Army. Will this off set my retirement? will I receive both benefits in full?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Unless there are law changes that I'm not current on, yes, there is an offset. From a tax standpoint, you are usually better off taking the full VA compensation, and having the retirement payment reduced.

Unless there are law changes that I'm not current on, yes, there is an offset. From a tax standpoint, you are usually better off taking the full VA compensation, and having the retirement payment reduced.

I have posted a little information what CRDP is:

Concurrent Receipt means to receive both military retirement benefits and VA disability compensation, and up until 2004 this was forbidden by law. To receive a VA disability compensation, disabled military retirees had to waive all or part of their military pay.

The following is a summary of Concurrent Receipt:

Concurrent Receipt Overview

As of 2004 this law changed so that qualified disabled military retirees will now get paid both their full military retirement pay and their VA disability compensation. This recently passed law phases out (over 9 years) the VA disability offset, which means that military retirees with 20 or more years of service and a 50% (or higher) VA rated disability will no longer have their military retirement pay reduced by the amount of their VA disability compensation.

Unlike the Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC), full concurrent receipt will be phased-in over the coming years (except as noted above). This means that if you qualify you will see your retirement pay increase by approximately ten percent each year until the phase-in is complete in 2014.

According to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) Concurrent Receipt is now officially referred to as 'Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay" (CRDP).

Those members who have been rated less than 100 percent, but are receiving 100 percent from the VA due to an unemployability code, will not receive their full retired pay up front. They will fall under a three-year phase in plan, in which they will see restoration by the year 2009. The CRDP is paid on the actual VA rating not the unemployability code.

<br style="font-weight: bold;">Concurrent Receipt Eligibility

To qualify for concurrent receipt you must:

* Be a Military Retiree with 20 or more years of service, including:

o Chapter 61 Medical Retirees with 20 years or more.

o National Guard and Reserve with 20 or more good years. (Once they turn 60 and begin drawing a retirement check)

o Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) Retirees may also be eligible.

* Have a Service Related VA disability rating of 50% or higher.

Edited by COOL BREEZE

I first try with a claim back in Feb 1990 with the VA by the way of DAV they are great they got me my 30% but int he worng part of my body my ankles but I have schizophrenic/PTSD that iwhy i was let go from the Army they taking away my clearcnce ie TS SBIG SCI and put me on KP every day intill my ETS date ie 9 months I was a 96B10 Milltary Intelligence Analyst can I get them to back date my claim (I have a open claim in for my menthal Illness) If so that is over 21 years of back pay the VA own me and if I get the 100% will they reto back date it?

I first try with a claim back in Feb 1990 with the VA by the way of DAV they are great they got me my 30% but int he worng part of my body my ankles but I have schizophrenic/PTSD that iwhy i was let go from the Army they taking away my clearcnce ie TS SBIG SCI and put me on KP every day intill my ETS date ie 9 months I was a 96B10 Milltary Intelligence Analyst can I get them to back date my claim (I have a open claim in for my menthal Illness) If so that is over 21 years of back pay the VA own me and if I get the 100% will they reto back date it?

crowell,

Welcome to Hadit.com

You might want to re-post your question as a new topic,

in the Claims/Benefits Forum to get some answers.

I am retired and 100%. I get my full retirement check and my full VA Check. Nothing is offset once you hit 100%, everyone else is being phased in, 2014 it is suppose to be no offset if over 50%. You get 2 checks.