Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help!

Rate this question

jessie0054

Question

Need help on what to do to stop the Va from cutting my son's benefits

He is receiving benefits for service connected Polycythemia Vera. Currently at 40% for having to have monthly blood draws and phelbotomies. The Va said that since his blood levels have been in the normal range for the past 4 months ne no longer has PV. How can they determine this as there is no cure for Polycythemia Vera. One you have it you have it for life. Do they not understand the disease?? It go's in to a remission state with repeated phelboties to get the level back to a normal levels and can stay in remissions for as long as treatment continues. Without the treatment the symptoms will come back along with the risk.

What can we do?

Thanks Jessie

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Fight it I am a Navy Veteran and I TOO have PV. I have to do the same thing your son has to do. I just had a biopsy of the bone marrow to see how many premature blood cells I have. Can you tell me how your son got approval for his 40 percent. I served between 1972 and 1974 and was a radioman on a ship that used JP5

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't get to excited you need to appeal but if it was me I would start talking to some Doctors. Good Luck. I wish I knew more about this condition but I will pray for you and your son.

If he is still requiring phlebotomy it should remain at 40%.

7704 Polycythemia vera:

During periods of treatment with

myelosuppressants and for three months

following cessation of myelosuppressant

therapy ..................................................... 100

Requiring phlebotomy ................................. 40

Stable, with or without continuous medication

........................................................... 10

NOTE: Rate complications such as hypertension, gout, stroke

or thrombotic disease separately.

There are very specific things the VA has to do on reductions. How long has your son been SC for this? That is what is his effective date?

There are rules which protect Veterans ratings at 5years and 20 years.

If no one else chimes in, I will try to look up Katrina Eagles excellent article on VA reductions. (She is a well known lawyer representing Veterans). She has some great advice. I think it will help you. While Katrina Eagles advice has been removed from the internet when she changed law firms, I think I posted it here on hadit.

I think the link still works to Eagles article on reductions. Try here checking "broncovet" posts.

You are unlikely to get better advice on Veterans benefits that Katrina Eagle...I think she is or was the president of

NVLSP or NOVA...one of those Veterans attorney organizations, I cant remember which.

Or try this link:

http://jimstrickland...Reductions.html

Yes, I agree with Sharon, but it sounds like your son may have to prove it.

Hopefully, if the VA reduction is unfounded, the VA will drop it. Be sure to respond to their "sixty day" letter proposal to reduce. Katrina recommends asking for a hearing, if I recall.

This gives you more time..and delays in reductions are good!

Edited by broncovet