Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Questions ......

Rate this question

VetsLady

Question

We were recently traveling out of state when my husband became seriously ill. I called the VA 24 hr tele-nurse who had me take his blood pressure and said to call 911 immediately.

He was admitted to a community hospital and kept overnight for severe dehydration and tests. He is a 100% sc Veteran and there were no VA "hospitals" closer to where we were so we were so we went to the nearest community hospital via the VA tele-health nurse. She said get him to the hospital immediately, no ifs ands or buts about it.

He is covered with Medicare and the hospital said that is who they would be billing.

My question is ....... do we submit the billing to Fee Services for payment or ...... ????

Edited by VetsLady

VetsLady and, Proud to Be

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Yes VetsLady, contact the VA as soon as possible too let them know. I was rushed to the hospital once and found out that one needs to contact the VA soon. They will cover what Medicare doesn't. In my case I have no other insurance and the VA covered everything.

David

Yes VetsLady, contact the VA as soon as possible too let them know. I was rushed to the hospital once and found out that one needs to contact the VA soon. They will cover what Medicare doesn't. In my case I have no other insurance and the VA covered everything.

David

Thanks David,

Yes, I did contact them through the tele-nurse AND, pre-admit and after his discharge from the hospital --- and, he had a post hospital stay office call with his VA primary care doc.

Hopefully, I covered all the bases.

Thanks David,

Yes, I did contact them through the tele-nurse AND, pre-admit and after his discharge from the hospital --- and, he had a post hospital stay office call with his VA primary care doc.

Hopefully, I covered all the bases.

It sounds as though you did.

David

• HadIt.com Elder

David - I hope you don't mind me correcting you but the VA will not pay if any other insurance pays. If medicare pays the veteran is stuck making the coins payment, unless they have other insurance. The VA requires that they be notified within 72 hrs of the service or admission and even then they usually deny payment. Claimants should be prepared for a long battle w/the VA to get them to pay. I am just staring one now.

pr

David

I just went through the same thing. I used Medicare and VA will now pay squat!! I even ended up with other bills Medic are did not cover and VA said no. Two government agencies will not pay the same bills.

bobbyq

The hospital would not bill VA of course, only Medicare...actually a MedAdvantage plan.

We probably should have let the hospital bill us directly and then turned that bill in to the VA.

Oh well, we'll see where this ends up.