Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Worker

Rate this question

RonP

Question

The VA has now assigned me a social worker, after my last visit to my Clinic Psychiatrist.

Does any one have any idea as to why this is relevant.

I am currently 50% Ptsd. But they say they are trying to get me an increase.

This is a Nemyer case and the file is open on someones desk in San Diego

I live in the Philippines.

Thanks,

Ron

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Every patient at a VAMC Hospital is assigned a Social Worker but most don't know it. Until you meet with your Social Worker you will never know why you have them.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Pete, is this social worker you're talking about the therapist I see every week, or are you talking about a case manager type of social worker?

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete, is this social worker you're talking about the therapist I see every week, or are you talking about a case manager type of social worker?

I am talking about a Social Worker. Next time you have an appointment ask the desk who your social worker is

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I went back to your older Posts Ron

"my Dr wrote a letter about PTSD more likely than not caused my Ischemic Heart Disease"

I too had a claim like that in 1995 that was denied.But no IMO.

I think- since you are under Nehmer- the VA is trying to determine the older claim as to how it has been subsumed by the newer IHD claim.

They could have found something in that older decision ( you did have an IMO) that was wrong and to your favor.

Odd because I have similiar situation.

I re -opened 2 claims my husband had pending at death and they were awarded but I also received a denial that I forgot I appealed to the BVA.I even forgot I had file Motion of CUE on the BVA decision.Which was denied.When I found te BVA denial I sent it to Nehmer people and NVLSP.

After re-=opening his claims I had read an extraordinary book written by a VA cardiologist.

He was convinced that, after he had autopsied countless incountry combat deceased veterans, the high level of atherosclerotic heart disease he found they had, at ages almost all under 25,had to be profoundly related to the stress of battle.

I filed an additional claim for my husband's PTSD causing his heart disease.I sent the VA this entire book as evidence. They got md because I swiped it from the Bath VA patient's library.I did get it back to the library with a small late fee. I had a VA library card anyhow. That claim was denied as well as a CUE motion I had filed so that put me under Nehmer .But I also filed 2 SMC CUE claims in 2004 that were also put under Nehmer in August 2010.

In this respect I think our Nehmer claims are the same-

VA told me that they must resolve the CUE claims (pending when IHD regs came out)in my case as they directly involve legal errors on IHD, before they decide the formal AO IHD claim.

So I am thinking in your case they have to look over the older claim you had regarding PTSD to heart disease to see if that claim was done properly at time of denial and then Nehmer would resolve the IHD claim if Nehmer would offer you the highest potential benefit.

OR they are attempting to rate you properly based on the older PTSD claim and medical evidence at time of that claim for a staged IHD rating under Nehmer.

Could that be possible?

Could it also be possible that they rated you wrong as NSC heart disease at time of the older claim?

Or they discovered the PTSD rating then was wrong?

"But they say they are trying to get me an increase.

This is a Nemyer case and the file is open on someones desk in San Diego

I live in the Philippines."

Then again maybe there is no relationship to the "increase" to the social worker ?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Your social worker can provide home services. When you talk to your social worker be sure to tell them if you can't work or are having a hard time. The social worker can note barriers to employment and this can be an inferred claim for IU. Tell the social worker about all your mobility problems and problems getting around. If you social worker is coming by to see you just be sure you are not out in the yard chopping weeds. If it was me I would complain my head off to the SW about any problem I have.

Is this Social Worker like a case manager? Or is it the VAMC patient advocate? Do you only get one when you're admitted for something? I try hard to avoid making the trip to the VAMC. Do the CBOC's have them?<br><br><br>Edited to add:&nbsp; I feel like a zoologist who has just heard of a strange new animal.&nbsp; I'm trying to get the natives to describe the mysterious creature and possibly discover its lair.&nbsp; In other words, I feel like a complete know-nothing trying to wrap my head around the possibility that there could be someone at the VA whose job it is to actually help me!<br>

Edited by hedgey

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.