Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vv Bronze Star Valor + Other Citations & Awards

Rate this question

halos2

Question

VV mean, nasty, abusive, threatening others at work, and at home. Finally got into a TX program for 2 months. Began PTSD TX program being honest..Told of killings, terrors seen and done to others(validated on awards and citations) and night terrors of screaming with nightmares, and emotional episodes experienced.

Then suddenly half way during the program VV decided to work program for helping the others and not self.

Came with a GAF of 45 and left with a GAF 55. Did not want to appear "crazy' TO OTHERS, and wanted to take on a role of "father or care taker" to all the younger vets in the program.

He wanted to make friends and not let anyone see him as tainted and disturbed! He has been mean and violent to his wife and family over 41 years, and has control issues. Lost jobs because of temper and threatening remarks made to co-workers.

Is 64 and put in for SS and receives it, however never put in for SSDI.

I think he did an injustice to himself and to the program, and they allowed it to happen. He is violent and wants others to think he is a "nice guy."

I believe he blew his chance to ever get a higher % for his mental issues. His family are still in shock that he did not tell the truth and get the treatment he needed.

How and why would a mental health program allow that to happen? I read his complete C-File and his therapy notes, and his PTSD program Tx notes, and it as if someone turned a switch on or off to change his working in the program for himself, to working the program to help others. This is sad the therapists didn't "Call him out on this" trying to avoid self care, and avoid self expression.

Edited by halos2

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Tx is a medical abbreviation which can mean many things. Two possibly meanings of the abbreviation Tx are therapy or treatment. If this veteran is unemployable because of his service connected disabilities, he should probably complete an application for unemployability and attach a written statement in support of claim and a copy of his DD214 showing combat citations to that application for unemployability; That will keep V.A. busy trying to focus on whether he is entitled to an increase rather than on the issue of whether his rating should be reduced. Submitting an unemployability application and a statement about this veteran's war experiences to V.A. could possibly provide new and material evidence under 38 CFR 3.156 and 38 CFR 3.400 (q).

Edited by deltaj

He did change jobs very often especially in the last 5-6 years like 5 or 6 now...He was demoted to 3 days per week because of attitude(poor), disagreements with co-workers, yelling at other staff, disagreements with supervisors, then terminated after he told some people @ work, and a supervisor to Fu*k off and they were a piece of Sh*t and all Fuc*er dum Azzes...they let him rant and rave and then terminated him 20-30 minutes later. He has been going to BH for 5+ yrs at least monthly. Also had cancerous lesions removed from head a few times. He really was provoked at this last job. But I believe he did put in for IU and his VSO said you are 60% you can't get that! Oh well he is a whack job and maybe they will see it soon. He wants to be so "normal" he is loosing it more. I have tried to distance myself some from them, as they are real downers, and drag me down, but I can't seem to cut the ties as I pity/feel sorry for the whole family...

I do appreciate any/all suggestions to forward.

• HadIt.com Elder

F*&^king idiot VSO's!!!!!!!!(sorry for the language but sometimes no other word(s) fit) I swear they work for the VA. Have him apply for TDIU, like yesterday! I think w/what's happening these days he'll get it and the VA will figure out how to pay for it later. I see an awful lot of claims being approved lately, that probably wouldn't have been approved previously. jmo

pr

He did change jobs very often especially in the last 5-6 years like 5 or 6 now...He was demoted to 3 days per week because of attitude(poor), disagreements with co-workers, yelling at other staff, disagreements with supervisors, then terminated after he told some people @ work, and a supervisor to Fu*k off and they were a piece of Sh*t and all Fuc*er dum Azzes...they let him rant and rave and then terminated him 20-30 minutes later. He has been going to BH for 5+ yrs at least monthly. Also had cancerous lesions removed from head a few times. He really was provoked at this last job. But I believe he did put in for IU and his VSO said you are 60% you can't get that! Oh well he is a whack job and maybe they will see it soon. He wants to be so "normal" he is loosing it more. I have tried to distance myself some from them, as they are real downers, and drag me down, but I can't seem to cut the ties as I pity/feel sorry for the whole family...

I do appreciate any/all suggestions to forward.

Edited by Philip Rogers

• HadIt.com Elder

F*&^king idiot VSO's!!!!!!!!(sorry for the language but sometimes no other word(s) fit) I swear they work for the VA. Have him apply for TDIU, like yesterday! I think w/what's happening these days he'll get it and the VA will figure out how to pay for it later. I see an awful lot of claims being approved lately, that probably wouldn't have been approved previously. jmo

pr

Philip, Today is Memorial Day. I think it is appropriate to post today the story of how my father received his 100% rating from V.A. despite the fact that his records had burned in the fire at the National Personnel Records Center because he had two bronze stars shown on his DD214. V.A. had denied my dad's first claim for service connected hearing loss. In 2003 I came to visit my parents and my mother showed me the original unrecorded copy of my father's DD214 which showed two bronze stars. The DD214 also showed combat in Italy and North Africa. I interviewed my dad about combat his combat experiences and one of the things he told me was that he had been offered hearing aids when he was honorably discharged from the U.S. Army since he had such a severe hearing loss. I prepared a new claim for compensation for my dad and had him sign it. I also prepared a handwritten statement for him on a Statement in support of claim form which he signed. In that statement he dicussed the fact that he had served in combat in Italy, North Africa, and Belgium and the fact that he had served in combat in the tank corps in North Africa. I attached his statement and a copy of his DD214 to his claim. My dad took his claim down to a county veterans service officer. For some reason dad delayed sending it in for 2 months because a county veterans service officer told him he wouldn't win because the claim had been previously denied. That county veterans service officer was unaware of 38 USC 1154 (b) which states, "In the case of any veteran who engaged in combat with the enemy in active service with a military, naval, or air organization of the United States during a period of war, campaign, or expedition, the Secretary shall accept as sufficient proof of service-connection of any disease or injury alleged to have been incurred in or aggravated by such service satisfactory lay or other evidence of service incurrence or aggravation of such injury or disease, if consistent with the circumstances, conditions, or hardships of such service, notwithstanding the fact that there is no official record of such incurrence or aggravation in such service, and, to that end, shall resolve every reasonable doubt in favor of the veteran. Service-connection of such injury or disease may be rebutted by clear and convincing evidence to the contrary. The reasons for granting or denying service-connection in each case shall be recorded in full."

I can feel many of the same things. I have been jerked around by the va and denied any increases for ptsd. I collect social security and can't work anymore because of my ptsd problems too. I get regular social security benefits and am middle 60's in age. I did not let the social security office know I have ptsd. I am 50% for this per the va. I wonder if this person has a chance to receive a higher rating with the problems read here. Looks like the va gave him a % because of his awards of BS with valor already. I get 10% for another diagnosis of another disorder.

I know the va awards for military and the ssa awards for all disabilities, so should he try to get ss disability instead?

Edited by Tuy Hoa Vet

• HadIt.com Elder

Tuy Hoa Vet - The VA doesn't award percentages based on awards. The awards only help in conceeding(sp) the stressor. Percentages are based on how the PTSD affects/effects your life today and tomorrow. If you can't work due to your PTSD you need to appeal the 50% rating and keep apppealing until you win. If you aren't receiving SSDI and the amount your receiving is less than the full retirement age award, you should file for SSDI back to the date you last worked. jmo

pr

I can feel many of the same things. I have been jerked around by the va and denied any increases for ptsd. I collect social security and can't work anymore because of my ptsd problems too. I get regular social security benefits and am middle 60's in age. I did not let the social security office know I have ptsd. I am 50% for this per the va. I wonder if this person has a chance to receive a higher rating with the problems read here. Looks like the va gave him a % because of his awards of BS with valor already. I get 10% for another diagnosis of another disorder.

I know the va awards for military and the ssa awards for all disabilities, so should he try to get ss disability instead?