Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Oig Report Shows

Rate this question

Berta

Question

"VBA Needs to Improve Disability Determination Accuracy

Disability Claims Processing Results Temporary 100 Percent Disability Evaluations

Error Rate 82%

A few of the problems noted in the VA-OIG Report were...Data processing errors: Incorrectly using computer applications; Medical exam notifications not processed; Rating decision inaccuracies; Decisions not finalized; Incorrect effective dates; Improperly addressed secondary disabilities; 6 VAROs (75 percent) did not timely control NODs; VARO staff exceeded VBA’s 7-day standard for 108 (37 percent) of 294 NODs reviewed; Staff took an average of 21 days to record the 108 disagreements; Of the 16 VAROs inspected, 8 (50 percent) did not follow VBA policy when processing PTSD claims; Additional benefits not considered: Not considering entitlements, such as Dependents’ Educational Assistance; Of the 16 VAROs inspected, 7 (44 percent) did not follow VBA policy when processing herbicide exposure-related claims.

In the understatement of the year to date, VA-OIG concludes: For these reasons, veterans did not always receive accurate benefits.

Is YOUR VA Regional Office on the list of those investigated? Read the report below and see.

VAOIG-11-00510-167"

From VA WATchdogToday.org

full VA IG report is here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/55796796/VAOIG-11-00510-167

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

So is there a (or several) VARO for each state or region?

Cpl. B

My God - It's no wonder we wait, fight, beg and plead. I do six sigma work, and just by the sampling and constraints mentioned, it's amazing we get anything close to what we claim out of the DVA. A real process improvement effort based on the findings in the report would go a long way in reducing the backlog AND increasing accuracy.

CPL

There are 57 RO's...I heard they had added a 58th. Pretty much each state has its own VARO. However, they are not always divided on state lines. Your VSO should know where your Regional Office is.

I did not read in the report why those RO's were selected. I did notice that St. Pete, Cleveland, Buffalo, and a few other "horror story" Regional Offices were not on the review list. It makes me suspicious when they review RO's with fewer problems, and let the bad ones go without inspections.

I also found it interesting they limitied this to TBI, PTSD and 100% Temporary. While I can see some value in limiting the scope, these particular conditions are suspect as, for example, the 100% temporary ones, the VA forgets to put it down in the diaries, so the VA never follows up and the temp guys sometimes get that forever. While I am not in favor of healthy Vets getting 100 percent after surgery and then the VA never takes them off of it, they could also have reviewed unjust denials, which they never bothered to do. I think there is a message here: The VAOIG thinks the VA is overpaying Veterans and wants benefits reduced. The VAOIG comes right out and says that Vets were overpaid more than a billion dollars...but makes no mention of the thousands of Vets who were underpaid billions.

If ANYONE in our country deserves an "overpayment", then it should go to a Veteran who served this country, not a politician, or one of his friends.

I have a definate problem with the VAOIG making reviews with an eye on reducing benefits, which this report does. I dont have a problem with them improving accuracy of decisions..Im for that whole heartedly. I do have a problem when they manipulate things to correct inaccuracies by reducing benefits.

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

This system is changing so slowly I will be in my grave long before the VBA changes for the better in a significant way. If vets are willing to wait that long then the changes will be evolutionary like a frog becoming a monkey. We need a "Feedom Ride" to local RO's or to congress or to the HQ of the VA.