Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension

Rate this question

ensignoftheunit

Question

Diagnosed with hypertension on active duty- within a year my medical records document the following readings:

146/99

143/101

158/111

148/107

144/100

Most visits saw an increase in dosage to attempt to bring my BP under control- this is stated in the records.

With these readings do I have a fighting chance that the VA could grant me SC? I'm just trying to get my medication taken care for this condition?

If I were you I would submit copies of those SMR records and even highlight them with magic marker if they are hard to read.

Send them back the signed authorization form and copies of any documentation you have from your civilian doctor.

Did they enclose a response form with the VCAA letter? Make sure they get that back too in the timeframe they gave you.

Send them a short letter or refer them to back of the VCAA response form and state exactly what you have included as evidence with your response or fill out the 4138 form too that way.

Make sure they get copies only and get a proof of mailing all this to the VA.

"I didn't think the VA would consider that kind of evidence."

Evidence is the only thing that makes claims succeed.They havce to consider all evidence they are aware of.

If I were you I would submit copies of those SMR records and even highlight them with magic marker if they are hard to read.

Send them back the signed authorization form and copies of any documentation you have from your civilian doctor.

Did they enclose a response form with the VCAA letter? Make sure they get that back too in the timeframe they gave you.

Send them a short letter or refer them to back of the VCAA response form and state exactly what you have included as evidence with your response or fill out the 4138 form too that way.

Just a VCAA Notice with the election portion at the bottom where you can select to have the claim decided as quickly as possible. Then a Statement in Support Form (4138), and a Information Authorization (4142).

Another question; have you ever heard of the VA accepting pictures as supporting evidence about being stationed near burn pits? Several members of my unit developed complications they believe to be related to being stationed near burn pits in Taji & Balad, Iraq. We've got several pictures of our compound with the burn pits not a 100 yards behind us pouring out black smoke. Ever heard of that kind of evidence working in the Veterans favor, or is it pretty much a shot in the dark? I've heard proving conditions related to burn pit exposure is harder than usual.

If I were you I would access these links and do some research by googling burn pit affects on military.

By all means file a claim that burn pits were the cause of any disability you have that could potentially be related to this type of exposure.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_6ee6516a-d8c5-55ab-a850-e7700f4cf26b.html

In part:

“On Thursday, a federal judge in Maryland, where the lawsuits have been consolidated, ruled the case could go forward despite KBR's contention it was following the military's orders and bore no legal burden. The lawsuit contends the pits contained a poisonous mixture of plastics, metals, paints, solvents, medical waste and other products that caused severe illness.

Jon Gelman, a New Jersey attorney representing some of the soldiers, said he believed as many as 30,000 to 40,000 veterans might have been affected by the burn pits.”

"have you ever heard of the VA accepting pictures as supporting evidence about being stationed near burn pits"

No not yet but pictures can be invaluable evidence for VA claims purposes.

An MOS might sure be good enough for proof of exposure but p[ictures might be a lot better.

It would help too 9if you had an indepedent medical opinion that clearly links any potential burn pit disability to these exposures.

Your unit probably has an online web site and it might help to try to find some buddys you served with if you need a buddy statement.They were exposed as well as you.

I dont know the current status of the lawsuit mentioned above but if you do have a disability that could reasonably stem from burn pit or smoke residuals,I sure would claim it.

I wouldn't send VA the actual photos as they can be scanned instead and the scanned copies can be sent as evidence.

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfnov09/nf110609-2.htm

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/burnpits/index.asp

If I were you I would access these links and do some research by googling burn pit affects on military.

By all means file a claim that burn pits were the cause of any disability you have that could potentially be related to this type of exposure.

When I go to mail out my package, is there any special forms i need to attach to the evidence (SMR, photos, statements, ect) stating that this is the evidence I want them to consider, or is it assumed everything in my envelope is evidence?

Also, this is what I have for my Statement in Support Form, let me know if I have my bases covered, or if I need to add or clarify some things. (Editted locations and units just for the forum's sake)

Prior to my deployment in the 2007/2008 time frame I never suffered from hypertension and have no family history of the condition.

In August of 2007 I was activated by the ##### under Title 10 orders in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. In September of 2007 I deployed to ####, Iraq to provide support to #####. While stationed in ####, I was exposed to toxic fumes that lingered over our compound that stemmed from the open burn pits less than a hundred yards from our work center and barracks.

I personally witnessed the surrounding military buildings around our compound being dismantled and the resulting industrial waste being incinerated in the adjacent open burn pit. I witnessed bulldozers dumping piles of insulation material, electronic components, tires and other industrial rubbish onto the burn pits. It was the thick black smoke from this same burn pit that lingered over our compound for the entire length of our deployment.

I am submitting photos I took to substantiate these burn pit claims.

Upon my return from ###, Iraq in February of 2008, I was diagnosed with Hypertension at Eisenhower Army Medical Center by ####. As noted in my SMR, my initial medication dosage of Hydrochlorothiazide was completely ineffective in controlling my condition.

Following my initial diagnosis I was deployed to #### in June 2008, and ####, Iraq in 2009. During these deployments my hypertension worsened until my readings averaged 150/110.

Since my return in 2008 my blood pressure readings have consistently been above 140/90 and I have been seeking continuous medical treatment since. I currently take Lisinopril on a daily basis as prescribed by my doctor and yet my blood pressure readings are still above the 130/90 range.

Edited by ensignoftheunit

"When I go to mail out my package, is there any special forms i need to attach to the evidence (SMR, photos, statements, ect) stating that this is the evidence I want them to consider, or is it assumed everything in my envelope is evidence?"

You explained the hypertension claim well here.But I dont see the link due to the burn pits and suggest you could mention that as another factor but when they read this they will be looking for some disability you have due to the burn pit smoke.

"Also, this is what I have for my Statement in Support Form, let me know if I have my bases covered, or if I need to add or clarify some things."

I suggest focusiong solely on the Hypertension and on the 4138 you can refer them at every point to enclosed evidence

such as:"

"Upon my return from ###, Iraq in February of 2008, I was diagnosed with Hypertension at Eisenhower Army Medical Center by ####. As noted in my SMR, my initial medication dosage of Hydrochlorothiazide was completely ineffective in controlling my condition."

I have enclosed as Exhibit A my diagnosis of hypertension and Exhibit B as the prescribed meds,as found documented in my SMRs.

"Following my initial diagnosis I was deployed to #### in June 2008, and ####, Iraq in 2009. During these deployments my hypertension worsened until my readings averaged 150/110."

I have enclosed ( ) pages marked Exhibit C denoting the hypertension readings during my deployments.

"Since my return in 2008 my blood pressure readings have consistently been above 140/90 and I have been seeking continuous medical treatment since. I currently take Lisinopril on a daily basis as prescribed by my doctor and yet my blood pressure readings are still above the 130/90 range."

I have enclosed 1 pages marked Exhibit D as the beginning prescription for Lisinopril,from my clinical medical records, and

Exhibit E contains ( ) pages that reveal continuous documented readings of my hypertension.

You dont have to call them Exhibits, but mark them somehow with alphabet or number and make sure your C file number and name and address is on everything you send to them.

When my claims finally got to people at VA who could read, the fact that my evidence list was clear and backed up by ample documentation made a difference.

These people will look for nothing in your SMRs or med recs that will help you. You have to lay it out for them like they are ten years old.

"When I go to mail out my package, is there any special forms i need to attach to the evidence (SMR, photos, statements, ect) stating that this is the evidence I want them to consider, or is it assumed everything in my envelope is evidence?"

You explained the hypertension claim well here.But I dont see the link due to the burn pits and suggest you could mention that as another factor but when they read this they will be looking for some disability you have due to the burn pit smoke.

Only reason I did it like this is because on the first page of their response, it lists: Hypertension (due to Enviroment Hazards in the Gulf War & Asbestos)

When I originally filed I did check the part where it asked if I had been exposed to enviromental hazards, but it seems they lumped it together with my Hypertension. Which, considering all the stuff I saw them dumping into the burn pit behind our compound, is entirely feasible.