Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension

Rate this question

ensignoftheunit

Question

Diagnosed with hypertension on active duty- within a year my medical records document the following readings:

146/99

143/101

158/111

148/107

144/100

Most visits saw an increase in dosage to attempt to bring my BP under control- this is stated in the records.

With these readings do I have a fighting chance that the VA could grant me SC? I'm just trying to get my medication taken care for this condition?

I agree with jbasser as to 10% SC.

However, HBP can lead to heart disease,strokes and other complications that can become secondary to any SC HBP rating.

"Would you recommend filing online, or getting someone to help you through the process? I feel like this might be an "up-hill" claim, so I'd like to do it right the first time"

That's a good question.

Is this your first VA claim? Do you mean using the 21=526 on line form?

It is also good to have a vet rep on your POA even if they just document copies of your evidence as proof that you sent it to the VA.

Do you have any other conditions whatsoever that could be attributed to the HBP or to your service?

• HadIt.com Elder

I've never filed online but I can't see any reason not to. As for someone to help w/the process, that's a personal thing. I believe you can find all the help you need by asking questions, here, and then it's up to you to follow thru. I've found most VSO's, I've come in contact with, to be severely lacking in any skills, except maybe their golf game. This is not to say "all" are lazy and worthless but in my experience, I find them wasting space on this earth.

For about $135-$140 you can purchase the Veterans Benefits Manual (VBM), thru the National Veterans Legal Services Program <http://www.nvlsp.org> and do it yourself, much better than any VSO. Well worth the price!!! jmo

Can someone hyperlink that for me?

pr

Would you recommend filing online, or getting someone to help you through the process? I feel like this might be an "up-hill" claim, so I'd like to do it right the first time.

Edited by Philip Rogers

I filed online and found the process very simple, the good thing about filing online is that the filing day is when you push the submit button. I received a 0% for Hypertension, from the first get go. I think that by the time you have the C&P you will have the Hypertension controlled by meds, and I think that the rating is based on those readings. The C&P doc made me go three consecutive days before finalizing the report. But even a 0% is good, so good luck!

1. However, HBP can lead to heart disease,strokes and other complications that can become secondary to any SC HBP rating.

2. Do you have any other conditions whatsoever that could be attributed to the HBP

3. or to your service?

1. That's my primary reason for filing, I'm much more worried about the complications down the road. HBP doesn't inter with my daily life much, but its a dark shadow looming over my future.

2. Tinnitus & ED (because of meds). That's how I found out about my HBP. I got back from a deployment with my ears ringing like crazy. I've always had perfect hearing, still do. I went to my military doctor and turned out my blood pressure was sky high. To this day I have perfect hearing, but ringing in the ears. I shot myself in the foot with that claim though, when I went back a couple of months later after another deployment I told my provider that the ringing went away. I was scared they'd rate me and non-deployable for having HBP & Tinnitus so I lied about not having Tinnitus anymore. I made E-6 in 5 years and have a wall of medals and awards because I slide some stuff under the rug so I could keep volunteering for Middle East duties.

3. Anxiety, lack of concentration, . I have a very successful civilian career; great wife, great boss, great house and I'm more worried than I've ever been. The wife pays the bills and balances the budgets because I can't handle looking at our meager bills, or I forget to pay something. I bought a great car a couple of weeks ago and I worry about it incessantly even though I have a warranty on it. Every minor squeak or rattle I worry about. I guess that's what really made me realize I'd changed, because back when I was active and deploying every couple of months I drove a car with almost every "check engine" light on and never worried a bit. Now that I have one in perfect working order, with a clean bill of health from my mechanic and a warranty from my credit union I worry incessantly.

But I chalk that up to the price of my service, and I don't really feel comfortable at the moment going down the VA road for Anxiety because I'm still in the reserves and hope to retire from it in another 13 years. But I will certainly explore my options in the civilian medical community.

I filed online and found the process very simple, the good thing about filing online is that the filing day is when you push the submit button. I received a 0% for Hypertension, from the first get go. I think that by the time you have the C&P you will have the Hypertension controlled by meds, and I think that the rating is based on those readings. The C&P doc made me go three consecutive days before finalizing the report. But even a 0% is good, so good luck!

Yeah, I started filing the paperwork online last night, just gotta get my pertinent paperwork scanned in and attached and I'm ready to file. 0% will take care of your meds and Doctor's visits pertaining to that condition, correct? Do you remember what range your readings fell in when you went in for your C&P?

With a Diastolic number that high, How long have you had those numbers that high? Most people with numbers that high are already dead.

Mine has gotton to 160 Diastolic and I was admitted into the hospital to get it down. BP that high with a slight hint of CAD and it is not too good. Do everything you can do to get it down.

J

My numbers have been this high for about 4 years now.Has caused 1 heart attack w/ new stent and 2 civilian hospital stays.It came down after stent for about 6 months, but VA Dr changed my meds and it started going back up again.Once in awhile I feel they truly are trying to do me in.lol Well got a newbie Dr now and we'll see if he is interested in my health or my colon like all the other Drs from this hospital are. So far no faith in new guy, 2wks now and stuff promised not done yet.Two different VAMCs and each one has it's own agenda on what should be done to my body and BP is not a high priority.I gave up on them after a year of fighting with them.