VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Your Thoughts On Parkinson's C&p Report

Rate this question

Papa

Question

Attached is the C&P results for my Parkinson's Examination. Would appreciate everyone's feedback.

Papa

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

The C & P seems to assess all of the residuals you have from Parkinsons.

http://www.parkinsonsaction.org/federal-initiatives/veterans-affairs/disability-benefits

I posted this link to PAN some time ago for you.Have you ever contacted them as to where they got their info as they seem to believe all Parkinsons claims will be rated at 100% (and with SMC potential)

However this law firm seems to suggest something different.

They have a Contact Us link.

http://www.hillandponton.com/2011/02/proper-retroactive-rating-for-parkinsons-ischemic-heart-disease-and-chronic-b-cell-leukemias/

They state:

“Parkinson’s affects nerve cells in the part of the brain that controls muscle movement.  The symptoms of Parkinson’s vary greatly and may include  trembling, poor balance, and problems with depression.  It is important to understand that the VA does not rate a disease, but the symptoms of a disease.  In other words, the VA is not going to pay the veteran because he has a diagnosis of Parkinson’s the VA will pay disability benefits for all of the problems that are caused by Parkinson’s. “

Since Parkinson's is a new AO presumptive, there are very few {Parkinsons cases at the BVA and I haven't found any with the rating criteria they will use for the new regs.

Berta,

I have a Law Firm that is representing me from NJ. My memory is really getting bad, so I do recall your previous post with the link, but I never contacted them. BTW, I sent and just received a big box from the VA of all my paperwork. I ran across a claim back in 1973, were I had claimed a nervous condition and emotional issues. I was denied because the VA said it was not service connected. I had the American Legion as my representative. The Rep only told me that was it, to go home it was over, and I did. It sure hurts to be young and stupid.

Papa

Papa,

I read your PD postings and exam and saw a few things that should be addessed when you get your rating.

PD is a minimum of 30% just with the diagnosis.

Then they can break out the various other conditions and rate them as secondary like;

Each limb that is affected can be rated separately if doing so gives you a higher percentage. Chocking, Memory, Bowel, Bladder....... all should be rated apart to give you the highest rating and then they will make PD 0%. You also mentioned tinnitus, if you never claimed it they should open a claim for itsice you mentioned it at the exam. I dont know if it could be secondary to PD, but they should addrees it since you mentioned it.

Donna

Papa,

I read your exam over again. So the 30% for PD is a given, not 100% as others may think. I saw they gave you 10% for tinnitus-good. I also recall you are SC for PTSD, but if you are not, put in a claim for "anxiety" as noted on the C&P exam. If you are SC for PTSD put in a claim for increase. You should rate at 50% for mental when you include anxiety, fatigue and panic attacks.

I saw a bunch of other things they can rate separately. Dizziness using the code for vertigo. Swallowing. Passing out or syncope. Blurry or double vision. Loss of smell. Fatigue can be incorporated with PTSD. Fecal incontinence based on how many times you must change. Also get a dental exam for possible TMJ.

So, if I were you, I would put in a claim for increase for PTSD, PD and a new claim for dizziness/vertigo, swallowing difficulty/dysphasia, passing out/syncope, blurry vision/double vision, loss of smell which should give you SMC, fatigue, incontinence and jaw condition or TMJ.

Hope this helps

Donna